Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Discussions and Questions > The epitome of off topic....

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 107 comments A little back story: Jennefer and I went to a used bookstore the other day and she picked up a book that she later realized had dog eared pages. She mentioned that she doesn't see why people do that. She wishes her used books would never have folded pages. I mentioned that I don't use a bookmark at all. I just close my book and set it down. I remember where I was and flip to it very quickly whenever I pick it up again.

Jennefer found this very hilarious and seems to think it's one of the weirdest things ever. I believe her words were "Really!? You're probably the only person in the world who does that!" (I'm sure that's an exaggeration. It can't be that weird, right?) Anyway, since we were on the topic of bookmarks, we were wondering...

What do you do to track your place in your book? :)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I admit I used to dog ear a long time ago. I've beat that nasty habit and I do the bookmark thing now. I've been known to stick all kinds of paper in my books but when I don't have anything available I will try to remember the page. At my age that's not a good system, though :)

message 3: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments I too used to dog-ear but I fear I've gone on to something worse - paperbacks I leave them laying around open, face down. Just an invitation to have the spines cracked, I know. It was much easier when I was a smoker, I simply tore off part of the pack or used a matchbook.

Harcovers are a bit easier, I either use the dustcover or a venetian glass bookmarker on an elastic cord I got as a gift.

I can only remember the page I'm on if it's a book I'm rereading. You're right Amanda, it gets harder with age!

message 4: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 120 comments Ohh dogearing a book is a pet peive of mine. I hate it. I have seveal book marks( most of my friends give me them for gifts lol) My favorite one is from our vacation in Maui, that's the one I use the most.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 107 comments Well I must admit, I do sometimes use that oh so terrible habbit of leaving them face down and open (yikes!) But I only do that if I'm coming RIGHT back to it. Like within the hour (maybe I stopped to make lunch or something).... excuses, excuses, I know :(

message 6: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments Amanda, do you ever get so there are 3 or 4 of them sitting around the house like that? That's happening to me a bit lately (others on GR call it "book ADD", LOL) And my husband says I can't multi-task!

message 7: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 444 comments Mod
Amanda wrote: "...Jennefer found this very hilarious and seems to think it's one of the weirdest things ever. I believe her words were "Really!? You're probably the only person in the world who does that!" ..."

I believe what I said is "That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard!" and it is. I cant imagine just remembering what page or chapter I am on in a book. Weird! LOL

I use bookmarks. Ummmm..... hello, that's what they are there for! Sometimes I use a receipt or scrap of paper but usually I use a bookmark. Unless I am reading on my Kindle, then I don't need one obviously. Have I mentioned how much I love my Kindle??? :)

message 8: by Karla (new)

Karla | 1668 comments Mod
See, now you gave my ADD a nudge because I now have to Google Saint Rose of Lima. *does so and laughs* Now that comic book I read years ago about growing up Catholic that shows a nun screaming about rubbing pepper into the skin to eliminate temptation makes TOTAL SENSE. :D

Where was I? Bookmarks! I used to dogear years ago, but I use pretty much anything that comes to hand to mark my place. Toilet paper (hey, if it's where I am, I use it), actual bookmarks, post-its, even a pen if there's nothing else around.

message 9: by Karla (new)

And gaunt and pale from malnutrition! I saw that picture on Wiki. Very rosy, hale, and healthy.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 107 comments Haha. Thanks for playing along ladies! It's fun to hear about everyone's favorite book mark. I guess I might be the only one in the world that doesn't use a bookmark of any kind. lol .... I don't read multiple books at a time though. Jennefer and I were talking about that too. She does and I know a lot of people do. I'm sure I could, but I've never really tried :p (Although I do sort of have two books going right now. One I'm currently reaing and one I set aside to get back to later. Neither has a bookmark in it. haha)

message 11: by Karla (new)

After too many times of reading multiple books and not finishing any of them because of boredom setting in with all of them at the same time, I now stick to a book at a time policy.

Plus having too many things "in progress" stressed me out. :P

message 12: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (_tonya_) | 0 comments Jeanine wrote: Most of the time I'm a "one at a time" type reader but there have been occasions where I have a few going at once. And if a book is in mint, virginal condition and I want to read in the tub - I've been known to start a tub only book! :P

..."

How in the world do you read in the tub??? Does the book not get all wet? Are there not at least little wet fingerprints all over?

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 107 comments Jeanine wrote: :D That is one of my favorite places to read! I am very careful and keep a towel right by so I can dry my hands off before I touch the pages or the binding
..."

I love to read in the tub! I do that too.

message 14: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments I used to read in the tub all the time and loved it! My biggest problem was I would read for so long my water would get cold and I'd still have to wash so I'd stand up, drain the tub then shower. Yikes, the water I went through!

Now that I have 2 kids I just lock myself in the bathroom and read for 15 minutes before my shower :)

message 15: by KimKirt (last edited May 06, 2010 10:08AM) (new)

KimKirt | 20 comments I do the dog eared thing (sorry) or keep it face down open on the arm of the couch, since that's my nightly reading spot.

Our library gives receipts actually when you check out the book and I should use those, they always stick them in the book but I crumple them and throw them away. I do have a few bookmarks so I'll try to get into the habit of using those now that I'm being guilted out of dog ear-ing

message 16: by Gigi (new)

Gigi | 31 comments I'm always losing my bookmarks so, its usually dog ears for me. Actually, I alternate between dog ears and a rubber band- depending on whats handy and what isn't.

message 17: by Karla (new)

I usually have more problem falling asleep and losing my place - it's a nightly ritual. :P Bookmarks don't help when one second you're conscious and the next you're zonked out.

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 107 comments That's so fun Jeanine! Love that!

message 19: by KimKirt (new)

KimKirt | 20 comments Karla wrote: "I usually have more problem falling asleep and losing my place - it's a nightly ritual. :P Bookmarks don't help when one second you're conscious and the next you're zonked out."

ROFL! I've done that. However, when a hardback hits the floor it's a pretty good alarm clock.

message 20: by LibraryLass (new)

LibraryLass | 6 comments My daughter drives me nuts cos she never uses anything to mark her place, she simply remembers the page number just like Amanda. So you are not alone Amanda LOL

I used to leave my book open upside down (sorry!) until I started working as a librarian and then got to see the damage it does! So now I use bookmarks. I only read one at a time and I have lots of different bookmarks but the funny thing is whenever I need one I can't find them!

My favourite at the moment is a 3D purple n black dancing skeleton one. It is so cool, when you move it around the skeletons dance...

message 21: by Joeera (new)

Joeera  | 107 comments I don't now how long it's been since i've been using bookmarks i use to fold the top of the page i was reading but i don't do that anymore.Now i have a lot of bookmaks.Since i'am a twilight lover most of them are twilight realated.

message 22: by Tutti (new)

Tutti Dolci (tuttidolci) | 27 comments I'm a bookmark addict. I have tons! And yes, I do use them. That said, when I got my first Kindle, the bookmarks collected dust for a while. But because there are still non-ebook hold-outs in the publishing world (grrrr!), my bookmarks have once again been put to good use. :)

message 23: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 50 comments Kasey, you would like www.pomegranate.com -- all sorts of bookmarks, postcards, cards, and the like. Very good quality too.

message 24: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (creeker) | 133 comments I can't keep a bookmark, I already lost the bookmarks I got from the bookmark train LOL. I have a bad habit of just sticking it inside the book when I'm finished and just forgetting it.

message 25: by Tutti (new)

Tutti Dolci (tuttidolci) | 27 comments Rebecca wrote: "Kasey, you would like www.pomegranate.com -- all sorts of bookmarks, postcards, cards, and the like. Very good quality too."

Thanks, @Rebecca! I see lots o' goodies there. :)

message 26: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 444 comments Mod
Creeker wrote: "I can't keep a bookmark, I already lost the bookmarks I got from the bookmark train LOL. I have a bad habit of just sticking it inside the book when I'm finished and just forgetting it."

Me too! That's why I use receipts or those free cheepy ones they always give you at the bookstore. I have actually found $20 bills going through books on my bookshelves years after I read them. LOL I don't use cash anymore (although it was nice when I found it).

I have been using one I got in the bookmark train for a while now though. We'll see how long until it gets lost in a book somewhere.

message 27: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 189 comments I like using traditional bookmarks for hardbacks, but for paperbacks I use a post-it note folded in half. I'm anal about keeping books in the condition in which I got them, so any sort of dog earring or leaving the book turned upside and open to the page is out of the question for me, lol. My fiancé likes to dog ear, which drives me crazy, so whenever he leaves a book laying out, I am compelled to undo the dog ear and stick a bookmark in it instead. :)

message 28: by Grace (new)

Grace Elliot (httpwwwgoodreadscomgraceelliot) | 24 comments I have no idea where all my bookmarks go...always buying them but never one to hand. I think the earlier comment has it right and I must leave them in books as a sort of parting gift for the happy hours of reading. I seem to associate a particular bookmark with a particular book.

message 29: by Tutti (new)

Tutti Dolci (tuttidolci) | 27 comments Speaking of bookmarks, I just received these from a friend:

[image error]

They're extra-large paper clips with fabric covered buttons featuring little Matryoshka dolls (which I love). Aren't they adorable?

message 30: by Grace (new)

Grace Elliot (httpwwwgoodreadscomgraceelliot) | 24 comments Oh that is such a simple idea, but so useful.

message 31: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 75 comments I used to be bad with the dog-earring when I was younger, didn't care if it was a hardback or a paperback, but thankfully I've worked very hard to overcome that and don't do it anymore. I have a bunch of bookmarks, but they're never around when I need them, so I usually always end up using a scrap of paper or whatever's at hand, receipt, gum wrapper, losing scratch-off lottery ticket, business card, anything. Right now though I actually have a regular bookmark, it's hunter orange plastic with a black eagle icon on it that says "The right to bear arms shall not be infringed" or something like that on it. Came free in the mail with some address labels from the NRA wanting me to contribute. I'll pass, but thanks for the bookmark lol.

message 32: by Karla (new)

I've been bad lately and dog-earring my books, but I have an excuse! They are quotes and things I was to post as status updates and I only have 1 bookmark with me at the time. :P Plus, the books are going to be keepers and I don't care if they get trashed. It just shows they're well-loved.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 839 comments Mod
I love it when you find interesting stuff like that in a used book. I once found an old lottery ticket with the date/year that my ex walked out & left me with 2 kids..I use those numbers today, no luck so far.. but who knows?

message 34: by Karla (new)

LOL Bittersweet association there. :D

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "LOL Bittersweet association there. :D"

No kidding..

message 36: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "I once found an old lottery ticket with the date/year that my ex walked out & left me with 2 kids.."

What are the odds of THAT, you think?

I've found little scraps of paper with the page #s of all the naughty bits on it (helpful, right?) but that's been it for me. :)

I know..a date/year that changed my life forever,so when I found it..went right out and bought a ticket with the numbers on it..since then Ive only found St.Christopher,Mother Mary,& save your soul cards..in "naughty romance" library books! HA!

message 38: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments That's too funny! Wonder if the cards were for the soul of the person who read it, or for those of you who came after?

Tammy wrote: "That's too funny! Wonder if the cards were for the soul of the person who read it, or for those of you who came after?"

:D

message 40: by Marietta (new)

Marietta Amanda wrote: "A little back story: Jennefer and I went to a used bookstore the other day and she picked up a book that she later realized had dog eared pages. She mentioned that she doesn't see why people do tha..."

My husband says the page # out loud and closes the book. Like when we are reading in bed before turning out the light "Page 233, "slam!". I would never remember so I use a bookmark. I never mar a book. We had a book store. Condition is EVERYTHING!

message 41: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "I love it when you find interesting stuff like that in a used book. I once found an old lottery ticket with the date/year that my ex walked out & left me with 2 kids..I use those numbers today, no ..."

So much for reading meaning into "signs" huh Sandi?

Here's another way to read the "sign"...how about... finding the lottery ticket confirmed you hit the jackpot by lousing that man who walked. You WON! Period.

BTW, I'm curious, how many dollars have you invested in those lottery numbers to date? How many years of investing? Hum???

Got to send you Big Hugs woman all the way from California. :D

Nah...I only spend a buck on a ticket never more,and I just found that ticket a year ago.(would have been nice to win when I found it, I thought this was payback time oh well :( ) It was the 15 years I was with HIM that I invested and wasted.

message 43: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments If you live in California, this is a community property state...so

if you won the lottery here, you would be required to split it RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE. He'd take half. Hope that eases your disappoint somewhat

Sharon wrote: "If you live in California, this is a community property state...so

if you won the lottery here, you would be required to split it RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE. He'd take half. Hope that eases your disa..."

Not here..Ive been divorced since 1990..I win anything now..he gets SQUAT..anyway..he dropped off the face of the earth when he left,so no worries.

message 45: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "..I win anything now..he gets SQUAT..anyway..he dropped off the face of the earth when he left,so no worries"

Well Hell...there's no reason you didn't win on that ticket. That stinks