Friends who write discussion

Welcome

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) Here's everyones chance to talk about what inspires us to write.
what are the topics we write most about. Is there any one topic that really turns you on--literarily speaking of course.

Share both successess and setbacks. Those of us who are aspiring writers would probably would benefit from knowledge of our published authors.

There is no limit to the possibilities except the limits of our imaginations.
©Karen Vaughan 2008

message 2: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 7 comments Thanks for the invite, Snoop!

Fiction is my bag - suspense, thrillers, romantic suspense...

I don't write or read nonfiction. I get enough of reality from day to day life and watching the news (CTV National and MCTV, sometimes Global).

message 3: by Janie (new)

Janie Pendleton (janie_pendleton_author) I write suspense, romance, historical romances, all with War-time genres to them. I began by writing mostly for friends still overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan. They love reading a good ending to their otherwise miserable day to day life there. Some have lost wives/husbands to both regualar and online affairs, taking their children with them to other countries, even leaving them pennyless, homeless, and childless when they get back on US soil. Shame, but they need to see that they can start again, and that their children do love them. I want to take a moment to say THANK YOU to those sung and unsung heroes, that serve our nation daily, both abroad and at home. And say Thank you to all wives/hubbys and their children that have done their duty to stick by their hero!

Janie

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) I write fiction. Usually it's realistic fiction, but it will occasionally stray into other genres.

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Weaver (brendaweaver) | 22 comments I like writing romances...historical, fantasy etc. Most times my characters just pop in my head and off we go to never land. I am currently working on my second book in my series The Empowered Spirits. Book 1...Dragon Lord of Kells is now available from www.thewildrosepress.com
Would be glad to answer any questions just give me a holler and topic :)
Good Writing!
Brenda

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) wtg Janie for your support to the war effort

message 7: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I just now joined this group. I hope to start getting my writing career off to a good start in this group. So far, I haven't done anything except in school. I did well in school, though. I am trying to work up the nerve to try writing outside of my classes. I hope that this group can help me with that.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) This is a great way to start by picking each others brains a little

message 9: by Catamorandi (last edited May 31, 2008 07:59PM) (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) What is historical fiction? I would love to research the founding fathers and the evolution of our country enough to be able to write a novel on that,but I don't know how I would go about writing a fiction novel about it.

message 10: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Weaver (brendaweaver) | 22 comments Good Morning Laura!
Funny you should mention Johnny Tremaine by Ester Forbes! I read that book when I was in 8th grade and believe me that was a very long time ago...lol...but seriously that was such a great book that it stuck with me through out the years. I didn't even think it was still around it is so old.
I too write Historical Romance...Fantasy Romance...SciFi and Paranormal Romance. Isn't it great how your characters seem to let you know which time frame and genre they wish to be born in? Makes for very interesting writing and excellent reads for your fans.
Have a great day!
Brenda

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (milkshake) | 2 comments I enjoy writing Science Fiction or Fantasy. Its normally always about animals.
But any type of fiction is real good. Im not the best writer but Im writing one now I hope will come out good.

I have been writing it for about a week, and only have two chapters put here. But Im working on it.

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark (markdavidgerson) | 10 comments Thanks for the invitation.

I've published a fantasy (The MoonQuest) and am working on the first of two sequels.

I've also published a book about writing (The Voice of the Muse: Answering the Call to Write), which is filled with tools, tips and inspiration for everyone from the novice to the experienced writer.

I love talking and writing about writing, and have taught creative writing off and on for more than 15 years in both the U.S. and Canada.

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) I could probably learn a lot from you mark. Even though I have written a book I believe I can learn to tricks to improve myself. I want to buy your book on writing just kind of cash strapped but I do have a shelf of ref books to help.

message 14: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) Hi i'm Fiona i've just joined this group & have only just started this writting game, stories for children mainly. I started as a request from my nephew & goddaughter after making up stories for them & it has gone from there. Its the look on their wee faces as they ask what happens next that gets me every time.

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 7 comments Thanks for the invite. I'm Sandra Kay, author of contemporary romance. My first novel, Heart of Stone, is in the edits/galleys stage of production and should be released by the end of 2008. I have, also, sold a short story, Time For Romance, which may be released this year.

I'm an avid reader, and love meeting authors and readers.

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) welcome Sandra.

message 17: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Weaver (brendaweaver) | 22 comments Hi Sandra!
Welcome to the often times crazy world of writing! Hope things go very well for you!

Brenda

message 18: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Weaver (brendaweaver) | 22 comments Hi Fiona!
Welcome to our little group. I hear it is so much fun writing children's books...I would love to write at least one someday but I am a romance writer at heart so don't know if I could muster it. I keep telling my daughter she needs to go into that line of writing...she comes up with the greatest kids ideas...she just can't sit in front of the computer long enough to do it lol...she says she doesn't know what to write...duh..lol...maybe I will ghost write for her some day...I think that would be fun.
I hope you do very well with your stories. There just isn't enough good books out there for kids to read anymore. Hope you make it good!
Brenda

message 19: by Mark (new)

Mark (markdavidgerson) | 10 comments Dear Karen,

Whenever you're ready to get The Voice of the Muse will, I'm sure, be the perfect time for you. Meantime, you can read some free excerpts at http://calltowrite.com and "browse" through it randomly on its Amazon page (where it's on sale right now...and where there's only 1 copy left!).

Also, be sure to check out my new blog of tips and inspiration for writers @ http://thevoiceofyourmuse.com.

Cheers,
Mark David

message 20: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Weaver (brendaweaver) | 22 comments Mark!
Wow! Finally someone that shows the world that writing from the heart is where its at. You are a man after my own heart and soul. I intend to buy your book The Voice Of Your Muse as soon as possible and the companion cd to go with it. I am so intrigued by your words. They have touched a place deep in my soul that NO ONE has ever touched before. My Muse has awakened and wanted so I'm getting :)
Keep doing what you are doing and spread your inspiration as long as possible. You are definately a Master.
Brenda

message 21: by Mark (new)

Mark (markdavidgerson) | 10 comments Thanks, Brenda. I'll look forward to your feedback once you have the book. Meantime, you can read/hear excerpts from The Voice of the Muse at http://calltowrite.com.

Mark David

P.S. Thanks for signing up for my mailing list.

message 22: by Wendy (new)

Wendy N. (snippyb) | 1 comments Hi there,
I am relatively new to GoodReads; a fellow writer suggested it. I write novels (fiction) and just wrote my first screenplay in April. I have been writing for many years but have not published anything as yet; although I do hope to change that by the end of summer.

If you are not familiar with it, National Novel Writing Month (www.nanowrimo.org) or the sister site ScriptFrenzy (www.scriptfrenzy.org) are great places to get inspired, hang out with other writers, support young writers programs or just waste time on the internet...good times.

message 23: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Weaver (brendaweaver) | 22 comments Hi Wendy,
Welcome to our group. I write romance...historical...fantasy...paranormal..etc.
I only have one book available at the moment which is fantasy..a trilogy that I am very happy with. My second book will be in my editors hands by friday...YIPPEE!!! My very very first book is a historical and it's getting revamped and reprinted with my new publisher so I am really looking forward to seeing it in print again. If you have any questions about getting a publisher, or like some on this group who are self published, we are here to answer any questions you may have. I do have some information about marketing that I have collected over the years and am sending to Karen in a few days. If interested just let me know. I don't mind sharing knowledge with fellow writers.
Have a great day!
Brenda

message 24: by Letitia (new)

Letitia | 10 comments Hi literary friends! I am just joining this group. I write in several genres, however I've concentrated mostly on historical fiction, in the timeless traditin of Jane Austen. It was realizing that Austen's novels have maintained their incredible popularity for 200 years that really inspired to essentially "rip her off." She must've done something right, huh?

I also write fantasy, which I think is my favorite to write in because I can make up my own rules. I hate research, so fantasy is a marvelous release.

Also working on a contemporary literary fiction piece set in Seattle. Loosely based on actualy events I read about some years ago. I just couldn't get away from this particular news story!

Thanks for this group! I think I will enjoy it.

message 25: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Weaver (brendaweaver) | 22 comments Hi Leticia and welcome to the group. What is your website? Would like to check out some of your work. Who is your publisher?
My website is www.brendaweaver.com
My publisher is www.thewildrosepress.com
Come on over and check me out.
I write historical romance, fantasy romance and paranormal romance so far, but have a couple contemps, western etc. in my grab bag to work on as well. If you need any help with marketing just let me know. I do have a few reads on the subject I can share.
Brenda

message 26: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Weaver (brendaweaver) | 22 comments Hi Shayne and welcome to the group. Your books sound very intersting. Isn't it great when our characters take over and you never know what happens next until you get there? lol
When you get a chance come visit my website. I'm at www.brendaweaver.com
I write all genre's of romance. At the moment my fantansy..Dragon Lord of Kells: Book 1 The Empowered Spirits Series is available. Just finished up book 2 and sent it to my editor. I'm in edits on my historical...getting ready to enter a contest at my publishes so need to write the story for that and finish book 3 of my series and the squel to my historical. Guess I will be busy for awhile lol.
Brenda

message 27: by Mark (new)

Mark (markdavidgerson) | 10 comments Welcome, Letitia. I also write fantasy -- for all the reasons you state!

- Mark David Gerson
http://themoonquest.com

message 28: by Letitia (new)

Letitia | 10 comments My website is http://www.letitiaharmon.com, and actually I would welcome advice about it, since I've been forced to design it myself.

My publisher is CreateSpace, which is a POD, so I'm essentially having to do all my own marketing. Am just now discovering how stressful that is :-(

I used to have excerpts of Heatherstone posted on my goodreads profile, but have since removed them. The book will be available at the end of the month from either my website or Amazon.com.

message 29: by Mark (last edited Jun 19, 2008 11:39AM) (new)

Mark (markdavidgerson) | 10 comments Hi, Letitia,

Good news/bad news is that even with a traditional publisher, you'd still have to do a lot of your own promotion and marketing. Sorry you're finding it stressful. It sure can be time-consuming...but look at it as doing all you can do to get the wonderful worlds you have created out into this world to as many people as possible!

Meantime, you might find this blog post helpful: 13 Rules for Publicizing Your Book @ http://thevoiceofyourmuse.com/2008/05....

Congrats...and good luck!
Mark David

message 30: by Letitia (new)

Letitia | 10 comments Mark, love Voice of the Muse. Thanks for directing me there. I am learning that being creative is really the only way you'll ever make it...but also that many ideas cost money, and not being independently wealthy...I'm in that Catch-22 where I'm waiting for that pay-off that may never come to market that book that may never take off!

message 31: by Letitia (new)

Letitia | 10 comments Mark, love Voice of the Muse. Thanks for directing me there. I am learning that being creative is really the only way you'll ever make it...but also that many ideas cost money, and not being independently wealthy...I'm in that Catch-22 where I'm waiting for that pay-off that may never come to market that book that may never take off!

message 32: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Anderson (eila) I'm new to the group, and just want to say hi to everyone. I think it's so important for writers to have approachable forums where they can meet other writers to learn from and bounce ideas off of, so I'm glad I found this group. I recently earned my MA in Fiction Writing from Johns Hopkins, and am working on my first novel. I also have a cache of short stories that I've been submitting to lit mags (I actually sold my very first story this week! Yippyyyyy!). I write contemporary realistic fiction.

Nice to meet you all!

message 33: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) Cool where do you submit them thats what I want to try. Welcome btw

message 34: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Anderson (eila) Because I like to aim as high as possible, I submit to magazines like the New Yorker and the North American Review first, just so I'm not wondering what-if later on. That hasn't actually panned out yet, but that's okay. I've also submitted to Georgia Review, Missouri Review, Glimmertrain, Zoetrope, and a few more. The one that just accepted my story was Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine. So there's a whole bunch. If you don't have it yet, check out the Short Story Writer's Market book. It's an annual listing of all the markets, the name of editor, what they're looking for, if they pay, etc.

message 35: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) Thanks for all the good ideas Eileen

message 36: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 7 comments Hi Eileen,

Congrats on your first sale. I've checked out Glimmertrain before, but I don't think I write what they want. Thanks for sharing the good ideas, though.

Sandra Kay

message 37: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 4 comments I always considered myself a non-fiction writer. My first book, "No Place to Call Home", detailed my father's experiences in the Soviet concentration camps in Siberia and his later war adventures. But my newest book "A Katrina Moment" is fiction, although it is based on factual events. It uses Katrina to symbolize the destruction caused by prejudice.
Alexandra Everist
Author of "A Katrina Moment"
www.alexandraeverist.com

message 38: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) Both sound very exciting Alexandra