The Judas Strain (Sigma Force, #4) The Judas Strain discussion

scientific intrigue/historical novel

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karen I do not usually read scientific intrigue/historical books...however this is my library book clubs choice for July and I loved it. It proved to be a fast read.

carol Karen wrote: "I do not usually read scientific intrigue/historical books...however this is my library book clubs choice for July and I loved it. It proved to be a fast read."

Hi Karen it was my first Rollins book now have the others..enjoyed Sandstorm, Map of Bones so far. I think it's the science behind his theories that hold them up so well.

Shubham Wonderful book & the entire series by Rollins.
Read the entire series, it's got wonderful and intriguing plots & themes.

William Malmborg I've really enjoyed these books. If I had to pick I think Map of Bones would be my favorite. I pretty much read it in one day while working a 14 hour security shift several years ago. Couldn't put it down. I loved all the theories it put forth. It also made me wonder if maybe we really don't understand human history as much as we would like to believe.

carol William wrote: "I've really enjoyed these books. If I had to pick I think Map of Bones would be my favorite. I pretty much read it in one day while working a 14 hour security shift several years ago. Couldn't p..."

True William there's much we don't know and much from history that's been changed to cover it up. I love the way James Rollins uses clear science theory and fact but always adds a little factual info at the back. I know another new author that released a new book last month after editing. It's in a similar vein and the religious history and use of quantum theory are as good...here he uses the CIA and Noetic institute as opposed to Rollins Sigma Force. I'll link it if you like. The Second Advent Disciples by Lex Lex It's on special at the moment too.

M.tariq Suleman not as good as Black Order or Map of Bones

Gumps I am going to guess it was not as good as Black Order or Map of Bones. ;)

I usually love this genre of book (the historical mystery action thriller), primarily for the modern takes on historical events (other Authors in this Genre include Dan Brown, Steve Berry, Mathew Reilly and Raymond Khoury).

The Judas Strain starts with a historical event different from the typical Catholic Church / Crusades, Jesus Christ mystery and instead focuses on the return voyage of Marco Polo. I found the motivation for the historical mystery / secret (which again is a staple in this genre, as our modern day heroes try to figure out the clues to resolve the issues or find the treasure in the today) very believable as it focuses around the selfish motivations of the historical figures and not some GRAND conspiracy.

I have to say though, there were some disappointing aspects I found in this book. First the scientifically unbelievable climax to the book. I enjoyed the scientific take for the first 3/4, but once we started to get into climax with Susan, I really struggled accepting it. I also thought the scene at the very end on the main characters front yard was cheesy and scientifically unlikely as well. And finally, I did not like the fact that the two sets of bad guys were basically identical, including the quite strong woman as a body guard, It was like Rollins initially wrote the two concurrent story lines separately with the same bad guys, but then when in editing he combined the stories together, all he did was change the names.

But even with all of that, it was still an interesting book and worth the read, especially if you enjoyed other Sigma Force novels.

carol I enjoyed this book, and was amazed at how much history and reality as with the squids was in it.
I have read six of James' Rollins books and enjoyed them all.

M.tariq Suleman Well I have also read six of his books.
I also like this genre 60% of my owned books are of same genre.

Jenni I'm a fan of James Rollins. I've read all of the Sigma series. I always find the author's note, Fact or Fiction at the end interesting. Looking forward to The Sixth Extinction.

message 13: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn Sholes Loved this book and all of his other works. He has a remarkable imagination. I read everything James Rollins writes.

Danielle yagami I have read all his single adventures and am up to the Doomsday Key in SIGMA. I have really enjoyed all his books. What I like aboutit is that it is very backed up in everything science-y and historical but still doesn't drone on for too long and keeps you engaged all the time.