Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Sydney Pollack: a big loss for cinema lovers

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Viviana (new)

Viviana | 105 comments I believe Pollack's death means a lot to all of us , movies lovers.Do you agree?
I haven't seen all of his "creatures" but most of them yes, just a few nights ago I saw him acting in Michael Clayton and said to myself,- he not only has been one of my favourite directors but he's also a good actor!-
I have liked his work since the first movies came to us ,here, in early 70's(3 days of the Condor,Jeremiah Johnson, the way we were) and, being in love with Redford eversince,it has been easy to follow both of them till now (with just few exceptions). I think he has given us Great Works, to watch,rewatch and remember, deserving himself an eternal place in the celluloid Olympus
I'd love to know your feelings so please post your words!!

message 2: by Jim (last edited May 27, 2008 11:06AM) (new)

Jim (jim_) We're gonna miss him. My favorite of his films are "This Property Is Condemned".

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) He was a great director and a good actor to boot. I always enjoyed his small roles in movies, especially on Tootsie. Out of Africa is one of my favorite movies of his.

He was intelligent and seemed like a good man. R.I.P., Syndey.

message 4: by Viviana (new)

Viviana | 105 comments Among his first movies I forgot another epic one, with an extraordinary Dustin Hoffman: Little Big Man
I will remember Pollack and his first movies of the 70's as the first movies seen as a girl in her 20's, out without parents but with her boyfriend.

And "Out of Africa",for me, is one of those I indulge most and ,having read the book more than once, one of the best scripts ever made out of a book, totally faithful and with the most accurate casting choice.even tonight,while watching at the news and a short run through some of the films,there it was, goose skin watching at Streep and Redford on the plane over the african planes or under that tree ..
He definetely gave his best and got the best out of Redford and Hoffman,or at least this is my opinion.

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I didn't know Pollack directed Little Big Man. I saw that in my twenties, too. That's one I rarely think about but I remember enjoying it when I watched it.

message 6: by April (new)

April (escapegal) | 41 comments I always liked Random Hearts and Absence of Malice (he directed both of those) and just saw Michael Clayton. I think he's in Made of Honor (as Patrick Dempsey's father?)...haven't seen it yet. I just heard a radio interview he had done in 1990; he was very intelligent and humble!

message 7: by George (new)

George | 951 comments No question Sydney Pollack was one of the most professionally accomplished men in Hollywood. His films were always highly polished, entertaining and intelligent. He respected his material, his actors, and his audience. He was equally professional in his acting roles and was always highly watchable. He will be greatly missed.

message 8: by Viviana (new)

Viviana | 105 comments Tressa, in fact I had a doubt about it.
Little Big Man, wasn't a Pollack was Arthur Penn's direction.
The fact is that on Tv the other night,while celebrating Pollack's memory, they jammed in some scenes from it and I thought "was it a Pollack's? didn't know.." This is why I listed it, but reading you got the doubt again, so it's our TV's fault. Sorry.

message 9: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments Awww yes, a great loss...

My favourite Pollack movies were The Way We Were, Out of Africa, and Tootsie. Such lovely movies, all of them.

This from an article by Steve Gorman:

"With typical candor and humor, Pollack joked during a discussion at the 2005 Tribeca Film Festival that he enjoyed appearing in other people's films because it was "an excuse to spy on other directors."

"Directors are very territorial," he said. "They're like lions, urinating on every corner of the stage."

And he worked with some of the best: The list of fellow filmmakers who've directed him includes Woody Allen ("Husbands and Wives"), Robert Altman ("The Player") and Stanley Kubrick ("Eyes Wide Shut").

The list of actors he directed, meanwhile, plays like the red carpet on Oscar night: Paul Newman, Meryl Streep, Jane Fonda, Sean Penn, Nicole Kidman, Barbra Streisand and — seven times — Robert Redford. He drew equally strong performances from men and women, and the assured, straightforward nature of his directing style always allowed their work to shine through."

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) "This is why I listed it, but reading you got the doubt again, so it's our TV's fault. Sorry. "

LOL. Probably some TV fact checker sleeping on the job.

Sorry to hear that Pollack had a hand in HBO's Recount movie.

message 11: by Viviana (last edited May 30, 2008 02:51AM) (new)

Viviana | 105 comments thanks Cissy, know you'll be back among us tomorrow...Happy Birthday Victor!!!!Meow, on June 2nd I will celebrate Zoe's anniversary too(5 years of being part of the family + 2 months-she was 2 months when I got her). thank you for posting that article on Pollack,very well describing this man's personality.I like that stuff about directors being territorial.. the journalist though ,talking of red carpet, forgot to name "someone" without whom, in my opinion,we couldn'have had such an unforgettable Tootsie: Mr.D.Hoffman.
BTW,you named 3 movies that I love, each one for its own emotional reasons. LOL and Hugs.
And a GREAT WEEK END TO EVERYBODY.

message 12: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments Great weekend to you too, Viviana!! ((hugs)) Victor's birthday (his first!) was on 27 May but we're celebrating it all week... purrr purrr purrr :) and happy birthday to Zoe too!!

I think my purrsonl favourite is The Way We Were...

a trivia question: how does that movie tie in with the tv series Sex and the City?