Stephen King Fans discussion

The Random - Discussion Threads > Favorite Bachman book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dan (last edited May 27, 2008 07:11AM) (new)

Dan | 34 comments So out of interest, let's see what everyone's favourite Richard Bachman book is?

Personally, I love 'Roadwork', which I think is highly underrated. One thing I always notice is how bleak his writing is, with the exception of a few.

Next to Roadwork it'd probably The Long Walk.

message 2: by Chrystal714 (new)

Chrystal714 | 17 comments mine is The Long Walk with out a doubt! I loved that story.

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments My favorite is The Long Walk, too! Loved it!

message 4: by Bee (new)

Bee (beelindee) I'm with you Chrystal714. I loved The Long Walk.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark (madceltuk) | 6 comments Another vote for The Long Walk, brilliant story.

message 6: by Steve (last edited May 30, 2008 03:32PM) (new)

Steve | 247 comments I'd put Long Walk in there, too, I suppose...somewhere I heard a rumor there was going to be a movie, but don't quote me on that. I have a crusty old used copy of The Bachman Books just for kicks. I really don't have any fond memories of Regulators, even tagged with Desperation, and I don't remember a thing about Thinner other than the plotline. Rage is still chilling, considering where real life has since intruded on its plotline, but it certainly does show the sign of a very young novelist.

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca van Doren | 6 comments I loved The Long Walk. But also I thought The Running Man was great fun. And Thinner was such a great concept, with a fantastic twisty ending.

message 8: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Fitzwater (safitzwater) | 6 comments I also enjoyed The Long Walk.

message 9: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (trevoroakley) Thinner has stuck with me for a lot of years -- I read it when I was 13 and will never forget the imagery of the old gypsy with the cancerous, rotting, nasal cavity...

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 128 comments Id have to say Long Walk spooky!!!

message 11: by Joe (new)

Joe Golden | 49 comments I loved Apt Pupil too.

message 12: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jmadigan) The Running Man gets my vote. I was suprised at how different and better it was than the movie, plus I really like how the main character is an antisocial jerk instead of King's typical everyman.

message 13: by Dan (new)

Dan | 34 comments Hi Lisa. Here's how I interpreted the end of The Long Walk.

LONG WALK SPOILER WARNING!!!

Well, its definitely not the Major. As doesn't he push him aside to walk after the figure?

The "dark figure" he is walking to could be Randall Flagg. I doubt it though, that wouldn't make that much sense.

The figure could also be 'hope', or another fellow walker.

It could also be that he is walking towards 'death' itself. Just like the fate of the previous 'winner' of the walk.

It's an open ending really, so its down to interpretation as to who the 'dark figure' is and why he carries on walking.

It's the best way to have ended it. People sometimes complain about open endings, but when they're done well they work perfectly. They also make you think long after you've finished reading.

message 14: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 83 comments I just reveived my copy of Blaze from Amazon and plan to read it on the train journey to Lincoln, I go in a couple of weeks. I like the sound of it and hope its good.

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments THE LONG WALK SPOILER!!

Lisa, I had a totally different take on the end of The Long Walk. I felt that after all that he had been through.....seeing kids he had befriended killed right in front of him......that he lost it a little bit. Kind of like a shellshock sort of thing. He might have won, but I think he lost more in the long run!

message 16: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie I agree with you Kathy. Even though it has been years since I read it I have always told people that it was like he had lost his mind. In his mind there will ALWAYS be just one more person walking so he can't stop.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Exactly, Lonnie!

message 18: by Thee_ron_clark (new)

Thee_ron_clark | 17 comments Since I've only read a few of the novels penned under Bachman, I have to go with The Running Man. Much better than Blaze and The Regulators.

message 19: by Steve (new)

Steve Thinner, which I really liked. But I haven't read all the Bachman books. But from looking at this thread, I might have to give the The Long Walk a try.

message 20: by Shane (new)

Shane (themre) They are all great... but I guess maybe Thinner or Blaze are at the top of my list. Of course as soon as I get that typed I start thinking maybe Running Man. Ugh.

message 21: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4105 comments The Long Walk, by far! The Running Man is a close second. Isn't it crazy how the "reality t.v" craze was sort of predicted by literature? When I first read thos two, they seemed so far-fetched. Now, though, not all that far out there!

I agree about the ending of The Long Walk. He has walked so long, seen so much death due to stopping, he will always need to "keep on keepin' on"!

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments I love both The Long Walk and The Running Man. Kandice, it's funny you should mention the "reality TV craze" because I read The Running Man at what seemed to be the height of "reality TV" and it freaked me out. I just kept thinking, "This is where we're headed as a society."

message 23: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Jones | 13 comments Mine is Blaze. Although a "mainstream" novel, I found it to be very moving and I began to care for Clayton Blaizdell. I great read, though a bit on the sad side.

Richard Bachman doesn't seem to be a really happy guy, though. XD

message 24: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2586 comments Mod
I have not read any Bachman books, but I am curious if anyone here ever got a chance to read Rage? King took it out of print. I read: "Stephen did not make the decision lightly. There had been several school shootings in the U.S. over a period of several years, not just Columbine. He does not believe the book itself would be the catalyst for a shooting as these kids already had other issues they were dealing with. It was after much soul searching, he made the decision to not allow future printings. The reason for doing this is his and whether you deem it reasonable or not is your opinion but he felt he made the right decision. "

message 25: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I have "Rage" as part of The Bachman Books: Four Early Novels by Richard Bachman. I haven't read it yet, or any of the other stories for that matter. One of these days I will get around to it. I also have Thinner, but haven't read that either yet.

Of the (whopping) two Bachman books I have read, The Regulators and Blaze A Novel, I prefer "The Regulators".

message 26: by Kandice (last edited Jan 23, 2009 09:31PM) (new)

Kandice | 4105 comments I have a first edition of the Bachman books with Rage in it. It's a pretty disturbing story, but I admit, when I first read it, I NEVER thought a kid would really do that. I don't think it would have been wrong to keep it in print, just as I don't think it's wrong to make movies Like Elephant. It's something that has happened, and possibly showing the effects and aftermath could help keep it from happening again.

On the other hand I understand him feeling it should not be printed anymore. I would probably feel a bit strange had I written such a "predictive" story about something so tragic.

message 27: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

I read that another reason King pulled it from print is that some of the tragedies that actually happened, these kids had a copy of Rage on them. Wiipedia lists some examples.

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Amen Rob. But everyone's gotta blame everyone else.

message 29: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

I always think of the same thing when I see the music video for Jeremy by Pearl Jam when it comes to school violence. I love that video and I think it is very meaningful and it was be awful if it were censored. Unless the artist wants to remove the book/movie I think media and government should stay out.

Another good example along the lines of what Rob mentioned is video game violence. A lot of politicians want to do this or that with video games but I think it is the responsibility of parents to make sure that the game is appropriate for their kids. Not to say they won't play them at someone else's house but a parent can only do what they can do. Maybe this is because I play a lot of video games so I lean that way?

message 30: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4105 comments I think some of what makes it okay for kids to see certain things is the kid themselves. We aren't big on censoring in my house. We are more apt to watch along with them in case there are questions, or to make comments we feel neccesary.

An exception to this is my middle child. He went through a stage where he was unable to watch his language. If he heard it in a movie, he tended to use and repeat it. Because of this, his movie watching was restricted until he was able to monitor himself. I don't mean curse words, I mean things that may have been off-color and not suitable for repeating in front of grandma.

He has since grown out of that. Our other children never had that problem. I think each child has to be taken at face value and the people in the position to know what's okay for that child to see, and his likely reaction are his parents. Not the government!

message 31: by Dick (new)

Dick | 5 comments The Long Walk. My favorite King book. One of my favorite of all books I have read. I am always pushing it on people and they have never heard of it. It is nice to see it get so much love in this thread.

Rage. Was shocking that a kid would act that way when I read it in 89/90, and I liked it. If it was published today it would feel unoriginal and in bad taste.

message 32: by A.R. (new)

A.R. (arbraun) Thinner.

message 33: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4105 comments Dick wrote: "The Long Walk. My favorite King book. One of my favorite of all books I have read. I am always pushing it on people and they have never heard of it. It is nice to see it get so much love in this..."

Off topic, but I really like your avatar! :)

message 34: by Wheelofka (new)

Wheelofka | 15 comments Hard to say. But I do think Roadwork is underrated. Is it just me or does Thinner seem more like a traditional King writing than Bachman?

message 35: by Sam (last edited Mar 23, 2009 04:02AM) (new)

Sam Dick wrote: "The Long Walk. My favorite King book. One of my favorite of all books I have read. I am always pushing it on people and they have never heard of it. It is nice to see it get so much love in this..."

Dick - you're a man after my own heart (and Rachel, Kandice & everyone else too - Dick was the last one to comment is all) ... I think The Long Walk is such a good bloody yarn ... my copy is really well worn & I'm always recommending it to randoms too

message 36: by Grunt (new)

Grunt | 3 comments "The Long Walk" for me as well. It was a great story and I actually had a dream about it. I thought about it constantly when I wasn't reading it. "Thinner" was great too though

message 37: by Trudi (new)

Trudi (trudistafford) | 150 comments Not only is it my favourite Bachman book, but The Long Walk is one of my favourite King stories period, and one of my favourite books of anything I've ever read. I just love this story and re-read it every few years just for the sheer pleasure (and terror!) I get something new out of it every time I read it. The thought of walking for your life, with no breaks ever still gives me chills. And King backs up the premise with excruciating detail and solid characterization. Love it, love it, love it! :-)

message 38: by Trudi (new)

Trudi (trudistafford) | 150 comments Dick wrote: "The Long Walk. My favorite King book. One of my favorite of all books I have read. I am always pushing it on people and they have never heard of it. It is nice to see it get so much love in this..."

Ditto, ditto, and ditto :-)

message 39: by R. Deschain 19 (new)

R. Deschain 19 (rdeschain19) | 5 comments it was Rage for me

message 40: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments It would have to be The Long Walk. Great concept and loved the ending.

message 41: by Jan (new)

Jan (jiminyc) | 2 comments I just re-read The Running Man, it was so interesting to read it again after 20 years or so. My grandson is reading it for a high school english class so thought I'd re-read it too. I plan to re-read the Long Walk too - it was probably my favorite Bachman. Thinner was great too. Those are the ones that stand out to me.

message 42: by Nilofer (new)

Nilofer (nilofers) | 83 comments The Long Walk for me too, it wasn't so much the ending as the gradual realisation of the terrifying reality of their situation. I liked Thinner too, it was my first Bachman book, and the "breathing" pie is a scene I can't forget! I find his Bachman books so much more pessimistic than his usual fare, with situations always going downhill, right to the dire ending.

message 43: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments I've read Thinner, Blaze, and the Regulators recently, and I read The Long Walk and Running Man and Roadwork probably 10-12 years ago, so I don't remember much about them... I'll have to dig them out I think I have a Bachman Books somewhere.
I really, really liked Blaze, I felt so bad for him, he wasn't a bad guy at all. And the baby, maybe because my own son was around 6 months old when I read it... I don't know, I cried at the end. I loaned it to my mom to read, I'm curious as to how she likes it.
I also really liked the Regulators, the idea that if something like this happened I think would blow my mind. It's good like Twilight Zone rated R for violence and such. Not really realistic but good.
Thinner was good too, creepy and I liked the ending it was a cruel twist after all he went through.

message 44: by Jc11king (new)

Jc11king | 103 comments Joe wrote: "I loved Apt Pupil too."

Apt Pupil is not a Bachman book

message 45: by Bojana (new)

Bojana (msmassacre) | 6 comments Rage and The Long Walk are my favorites, can't decide which one I like better, though.

message 46: by Anne (new)

Anne (annalese) | 41 comments I will say that Thinner was my best Bachman book.

message 47: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Orr The Long Walk for me, with Running Man a close second. I didn't like The Regulators at all, and although I enjoyed Blaze it wasn't as good as some of the other Bachman tales.

message 48: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments After recently re-reading my Bachman Books, I have to say it's a toss up on which is my favorite. The Long Walk, Running Man, and Roadwork all tied for best, I couldn't choose just one. Rage was good too, but for me, it was nowhere near the greatness of the other three in the collection.

message 49: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 109 comments I love The Regulators.

message 50: by John (new)

John Reeves | 17 comments Erica wrote: "I love The Regulators."

I'd have to agree it was, and so was Desperation, but I haven't read all the Bachman books.

« previous 1 3