Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: Urban fantasy books about fallen angels...

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (hmehart) Hey everyone! I was just wondering if any of you have read some really good Urban Fantasy books dealing with fallen angles or something similar. I absolutely love the Mortal Instruments Trilogy (City of Bones...etc) and I just read Fallen and really liked the storyline. Maybe it's cause these books are veering away from only focusing on vampires and werewolves even after all the hype but I'm in love! Any recommendations would be awesome! :)

message 2: by Cathy (last edited Apr 09, 2010 10:25PM) (new)

Cathy  (cathygreytfriend) | 55 comments The first one I thought of is A Kiss Before the Apocalypse, by the same author as Fallen. Remy isn't exactly a fallen angel because he chose to live on Earth, but the same elements you like are definitely there. He's also a PI, so there's a fun detective noir kind of style that I really liked. And another really cool dog, like in Fallen.

I also really love Adrian Phoenix's series about Dante Valentine, starting with A Rush of Wings. It seems more about a vampire at first, but there's a very strong angel storyline that I bet you'd love. That apect of the plot gets explored even more in the 2nd & 3rd books. I liked that it's really not the typical vampire book at all, the vamp thing is an apect of the story but not the main focus at all. It's more about the mystery of who this guy is and solving a crime. One of the lead characters is a Federal investigator. It reminded me of a paranormal Criminal Minds or primetime mystery. I thought there was something hauntingly touching about these books, as well as great characters and a lot of suspense.

If you ever want some other ideas for urban fantasy that's not all about vamps and shifters, I'd be happy to recommend some of that as well.

message 3: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 9 comments I agree with Cathy. I liked A Kiss Before the Apocalypse.

Not sure I know of any other unfallen angel books

message 4: by Betelgeuze (new)

Betelgeuze | 114 comments Requiem for the Devil by Jeri Smith-Ready.

Trick of the Light by Rob Thurman. Has angels, demons and other mythological beings.

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I also love AKBtA! I'm not sure, but I think the book called FALLEN that Heather is referring to is the one by Lauren Kate, not the one by Sniegoski. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick is about fallen angels, and is quite popular but I didn't like it myself. There is a new book out that I'm deciding if I want to get called Angelology by Danielle Trussoni which is also a fallen angel tale.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) The thing about fallen angel books is that I am inevitably drawn in by the cover, regardless of whether or not the blurb sounds good. Apparently I'm an angel-wing slut...

I am currently reading Angels' Blood by Nalini Sing. It's not fallen angels per se, but it's an alternate reality book where angels live on earth and always have. It's really good, though. Highly recommend it.

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) The Harry Dresden series has some pretty nasty fallen angels though they aren't in every book. I haven't read any of the above mentioned books, but I'm interested as to whether or not there is redemption for the fallen angels. The Harry Dresden books don't state if the fallen can be forgiven for their sins if truly remorseful.

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Paula,

I suggest you read A Kiss Before the Apocalypse to find out the answer to your question. A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (Remy Chandler, #1) by Thomas E. Sniegoski Also, the books that follow this one, as that is an ongoing concern of many of the characters... Like Harry Dresden, Remy Chandler makes his living as a P.I. and they both have that need to solve the crime thing going. Also, both live in a regret- filled world...

I started the Lauren Kate's Fallen, and stopped begause it was dreck. I should have read Sniegoski's!

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 81 comments I haven't read it yet because I'm still making my way through the Black Dagger Brotherhood, but there's

Covet (Fallen Angels, #1) by J.R. Ward

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) Thanks Julia, I'll give the book a try. By the way, what is dreck?

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather (hmehart) Ooh thank you so much everyone! Lots of books to check out for sure :D Oh and sorry I didn't clarify the author of Fallen - the one I read is by Lauren Kate (like Nichole I'm inevitably drawn to good cover art...especially with angel wings) but now I really want to try Sniegoski's too!

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) The Nightside series has some goings on with angels and demons, especially in the Lilith arc. It's not specifically about fallen angels, though, per se.

Erm, the only thing that really comes to mind is the graphic novel series Lucifer, though I'm not sure that's quite what you're looking for.

message 13: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 9 comments According to Webster's dictionary dreck means dung or junk from the yiddish for excrement.

message 14: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) Thanks Jeffrey! I'll keep that word in mind for those special occasions.

message 15: by Melodie (last edited Apr 10, 2010 11:09PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Paula wrote: "Thanks Julia, I'll give the book a try. By the way, what is dreck?"

Dreck is something really crappy, tho I don't think that term applies to FALLEN. I liked it.

message 16: by mostunexpected (new)

mostunexpected J. Benjamin Suarez | 161 comments A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (Remy Chandler, #1) by Thomas E. Sniegoski

I just wanted to say I found A Kiss Before the Apocalypse so boring.

Every challenge he faced could easily be overcome anytime he chose to use his abilities.

message 17: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 90 comments If I remember correctly Richelle Mead's Succubus series starting with Succubus Blues deals with Succubi/Incubi, demons, and angels. It's different. I think Jill Myles also has a series out starting with Gentlemen Prefer Succubi which deals with an angel, a vampire and a woman who gets turned into a succubus. I haven't read that one yet so I don't know how good it is, but the author is hilarious on her blog.

I also think there is another series by Meljean Brook about angels and demons, but again I haven't read it yet so I don't know how good they are.

message 18: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments I have read the Meljean Brooks series and they are good, but are pretty involved with the world building and will take some time getting it all down in your head, especially for the first 2 books.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) mostunexpected wrote: "A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (Remy Chandler, #1) by Thomas E. Sniegoski

I just wanted to say I found A Kiss Before the Apocalypse so boring.

Every challenge he faced could easily be overcome anytime he chose to use..."

FWIW, I wasn't impressed with 'A Kiss Before the Apocalypse' either. I liked the interaction between Remy and his dog, and him and his wife, but the actual mystery was lackluster and obvious. It certainly didn't interest me in continuing the series.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 237 comments Branded Fall of Angels by Keary Taylor by Keary Taylor is one I found on Amazon. I haven't read it, so I can't say if it's good or not.

message 21: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 1 comments I thought of Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. I don't think it's been mentioned here yet... Well anyway, I loved this book and it had fallen angels in it (hot ones, wink wink :D). Sort of similar to Fallen.

message 22: by Donna (new)

Donna I had to go through my shelves to locate Metal Angel by Nancy Springer. I read it years ago and as I recall it was pretty good. From the back of the book:
"He had given birth to himself on a dark night in L.A., tired of being an angel, longing to experience all that the mortal world had to give. His body was the epitome of male beauty, a human form made to succeed. Yet one thing Volos had forgotten in his act of self-creation was the wings. The wings set him apart from true mortals. But in L.A. being different was a way of life, and if you picked the right career it could become an asset rather than a liability. And for Volos, only one career would do: rock star. He had the voice, the charisma-and, of course, the wings. And he was ready to soar to the heights of the music world. But not even an angel can get to the top without making enemies. And the leader of the enemies who banded against Volos could give even an immortal something to fear..."

message 23: by Cee (new)

Cee | 51 comments Donna wrote: "I had to go through my shelves to locate Metal Angel by Nancy Springer. I read it years ago and as I recall it was pretty good. From the back of the book:
"He had given birth to himself on a dark ..."

A rock star angel? That sounds so cool.

message 24: by Inanna (new)

Inanna Mute | 5 comments Angelology was ok.. Reminded me of a lamer The Da Vinci Code, which is pretty tough, because I already thought the Da Vinci code was lame. The characters bored me.

Hush, Hush was too YA and predictable for me to really enjoy.

The best Fallen Angel book ever, though, has to be Good Omens. Still makes me laugh every time I read it. Comes with two complete sets of Bikers of the Apocalypse.

message 25: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 138 comments I just finished an interesting PNR where fallen angels are explained as what vampires are: and Falling, Fly

message 26: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 90 comments @Joseph-I've heard about that book. What did you think of it?

message 27: by Joseph (last edited May 14, 2010 10:20AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 138 comments Crystal wrote: "@Joseph-I've heard about that book. What did you think of it?"

The story was just okay, what I really liked was the author's idea of reincarnations and of where vampires come from, I just wish she could have done more with it.

message 28: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 90 comments That's why I wasn't sure about buying the book. Maybe if it's a series and I hear good things about the sequel, then I'll pick it up.

message 29: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments Joseph wrote: "I just finished an interesting PNR where fallen angels are explained as what vampires are: and Falling, Fly"

I really love her title. Too bad it sounds like the book wasn't quite as good. I usually don't read PNR, but something about that title grabbed me.

message 30: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 90 comments Well I don't know if anyone mentioned it here, but if you like something more light-hearted and on the PNR spectrum then try Gentlemen Prefer Succubi by Jill Myles. It is a start of a series. Very humorous. It's about a dowdy museum docent that gets turned into a succubus by a vampire and a serim (fallen angel). Her take is interesting because both vampires and serim are fallen angels. The only difference being that vampires made a deal with hell to get their wings back and the serim are trying to "earn" their way back into heaven. Kind of a mash-up between comedy, little UF, little PNR, and a little chick-lit.

message 31: by dodomar7 (new)

dodomar7 | 1 comments Child of Light

there's a new book by a new author D C Cowan an independent publisher. Maybe not the best read, but it might be of interest to teenagers or young adults. It's a trilogy and the fallen angels theme develops more in the third book.

Just thought I'd recommend it! Happy posting!

message 32: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments Just read one that meets this specification:

Lady Lazarus by Michele Lang Lady Lazarus (Lady Lazarus Trilogy, #1) by Michele Lang

Raziel is an angel who fights Nazis!

message 33: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Heather wrote: "Hey everyone! I was just wondering if any of you have read some really good Urban Fantasy books dealing with fallen angles or something similar. I absolutely love the Mortal Instruments Trilogy (Ci..."
There is a great series called Premonition series by Amy Bartol. They are fantastic. There are 4 books out currently and the 5th is due out next year.

InescapableIntuitionIndebtedIncendiary