Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

Sookie Stackhouse Books > CH's Other Series

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Has anyone read anything else by Charlaine Harris? I hadn't read anything else by her other than Sookie. I just picked up Grave Signt (Harper Connelly #1) last night and I'm loving it so far. Not as great as Sookie but I think I'll still really enjoy it. I also picked up the first book in the Lily Bard series but I haven't started it yet. What did you guys think of her other series?

***NO SPOILERS PLEASE**** :)

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) Um I've read all the Sookie books, all the Harper Connelly books, all the Roe Teagarden books and all the Shakespeare books. Plus the stand-alone Sweet and Deadly. Does that count? The Roe Teagarden series is definately cozy mystery. Lily Bard (aka Shakespeare) is a much darker series--but still mysteries. Harper Connelly is also a somewhat dark series. The one thing I will mention is that ALL of Charlaine's heroines have some kind of "quirk" to them. Sookie is a telepath, Roe is extremely tiny (less than 5' tall), Harper of course, can "feel" bodies, and poor Lily--well, Lily has the toughest row of any of Harris' heroines. She's the survivor of a horrific attack, and is just trying to get by and stay as sane as possible after that. The Lily books are a good bit darker than the others, at least, that's the way that I viewed them.

Having said all that--they are all worth reading, if for no other reason than to watch the way Harris develops her skills as a writer.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Her website says that she may write more Roe Teagarden books, but she doesn't really know but she said she's done writing the Lily Bard (Shakespeare) series. Her Harper Connelly series is on-going I believe. I've got a couple of these and my library has all of them, so I plan on (eventually) reading them.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandram1967) | 67 comments I have read most of her other series. They are quite good. I only have a couple more of the Aurora Teagarden series to finish. I also have all the Shakespeare novels, but haven't read them yet.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I have read all of her books. She is my fav author. I started when I first found the Souther Vampire books when there were just three of them out. I really enjoyed them and was excited to find out she had other series. I then went on a Harris reading spree and have read all of them. They are all great!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I checked out Grave Sight from the library but before I've been able to pick it up and start it, I found a paperback copy at a thrift shop for $1 so now have my own copy.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (kshiv) | 51 comments I loved the Harper Connally books. They are really good. I am pretty sure that the latest on is the last. I read a couple of the Lily Bard but just didn't get into them. I did love when she showed up looking for Debbie Pelt in Sookie's books.

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) Yeah, I've read too that the Harper Connally series is "finished". Altho, as an interesting bit of trivia--were any of you aware that Lily made an appearance in a Sookie book? mwhahahaha, won't tell you all which one, just want to watch you all SQUIRM as you try to figure out who she is/which book she appears in. :o)

message 9: by Kenna (new)

Kenna (kennas) Ann, I think Kate just told us in the post right above yours. Unless there is another spot?

message 10: by Carrie (new)

Carrie I just finished the first Harper Connelly yesterday. It was pretty good. I don't think the characters were as well developed as her characters in Sookie's world. It was entertaining and a quick read but I'm not dying to read the next one either.

message 11: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Kate & Ann - I forgot about that scene. I didn't realize at the time I was reading it that Lily was one of Harris' other characters. Interesting!

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy (signgirlamy) | 5 comments I haven't read any of them, but I think I might after reading your reviews :)

Just gotta finish the Sookie books and get my reading until control. Having 20+ series going at the same time is confusing

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 471 comments Mod
Hey gang! I can finally contribute to this topic! I needed a lightweight book for a recent long flight and found the #3 Harper Connelly book on my shelf (An Ice Cold Grave). It seemed ok for me to read it before the other two so I did and I DEVOURED it! It was awesome and had a big thing I've found missing in the Sookie books...descriptive sex! Something about it just seemed naughtier. I do wish I read the other two first though as it seems like a big happening in the book would of been a big part and dilemma in the first two. If that makes any sense.

message 14: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette Dominski (bernadetted) | 4 comments Carrie wrote: "Has anyone read anything else by Charlaine Harris? I hadn't read anything else by her other than Sookie. I just picked up Grave Signt (Harper Connelly #1) last night and I'm loving it so far. Not a..."

I finished Grave Sight yesterday. It was great, I haven't read a book that quickly in quite some time. I picked up Grave Surprise today and have finished about a third of it in a couple of hours. This series is for sure an easy read.