You Debate, We De Sharks discussion

Today's Issues > Cosmetic Surgery -- How much is too much?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (last edited Apr 07, 2010 07:28PM) (new)

Poindextεrr. (carpe_diem) | 479 comments Mod
Boob jobs, nose jobs, face lifts, and tummy tucks. In todays times, cosmetic surgery has become more popular than ever. How do you feel about this? Is there a limit to how much surgery you need?

message 2: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (last edited Apr 07, 2010 07:39PM) (new)

Here's a before & after picture of Heidi Montag...
http://static.entertainmentwise.com/g...

message 3: by ƙămįƞāŕı«, If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side. (new)

ƙămįƞāŕı« (hellokaty) | 295 comments Mod
I really do think she looked way better when she was her natural self. Now she looks plastic, she can't even move her forehead! I can't even believe she wanted bigger ones. That's a shame, does she not see the influence she has on young girls? Next thing you know, some little girl is going to notice her boobs and she's going to want some double D's!

message 4: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

Exactly! I mean, I've watched this show on MTV entitled "True Life" and they aired an episode in which three adult women suffered from low self-esteem because of their small breasts, but didn't want to get surgery.

Eventually, two out of three of the women caved in and got surgery because it wasn't all that "unusual".

How do you guys feel about this?

I think that women shouldn't compare themselves to what they see in magazines. If you were born with small breasts, thin lips, etc. then you should just flaunt it as best as you can. It isn't that much of a big deal.

I think cosmetic surgery should strictly be for those who had birth defects, because it's completely understandable for them to want to look "normal". Those who just want to improve themselves take the fact that they were both with all their features in decent proportion for granted.

message 5: by ƙămįƞāŕı«, If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side. (new)

I agree with that. We are already dealing with a lot of diseases already and getting cosmetic surgery can give you an infection. Are the consequences worth having big lips, double D's, & big butts?
Surgeons are probably wasting their equipment with those who don't need cosmetic surgery and not really attending those in need. Like the episode on true life that's airing on Monday, those people have nf, they're the ones who need it.

message 6: by ƙămįƞāŕı«, If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side. (new)

The thing is that, magazines and all this things just set a bad influence on the younger generation. For example, Miley Cyrus got her nose pierced, next thing you see is tons of little girls asking to get their nose pierced. I remember there was this photoshopped picture on this magazine of this model who had such a skinny waste that you just knew that was fake. It all puts too much peer pressure on young girls and teens!

message 7: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

Exactly.

People try too hard to look like Barbie. I would never get cosmetic surgery, unless my face had gotten burned off or something like that. It just isn't that important.
And it's SO expensive! People should invest in more important things -- like education, charity, their children, retirement. The list goes on and on.

message 8: by ƙămįƞāŕı«, If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side. (new)

I think this is it:
http://www.boingboing.net/2009/09/29/...

Hey if people are going to waste their money on that, Donate it to me! I need some college money!

message 9: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

Look at this picture. It's pathetic.

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/69...

message 10: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

I'm sure Gandhi is pleased with what we invest in nowadays. * rolls eyes *

Sometimes I'm ashamed to be an American female.

message 11: by ƙămįƞāŕı«, If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side. (new)

Oh Geez. Paaathetic.
Look at this:
http://www.freakingnews.com/Anorexia-...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

People do too much. Tryna be skinny or have tig o'biddies.

Just be natural.

message 13: by ƙămįƞāŕı«, If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side. (new)

★ Taciturn Artficial wrote: "People do too much. Tryna be skinny or have tig o'biddies.

Just be natural."

"tig o'biddies" hahahaha!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

It's the truth!!!

message 15: by ƙămįƞāŕı«, If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side. (new)

It is, it is. I ain't about to put my life at risk just to be caring around some dubb d's. Nuh uh, all that back pain and what not.

message 16: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 106 comments I was at church doing a bible study and we did the before and afters on computer "touch upss". Someone had 1500 bucks in touchups done just for a magazine article. We looked at a site that did touchups and it's not even funny how weird the before and afters look.

And yes, Heidi Montag took it waaaaaaaaaaaay too far

message 17: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 106 comments Did you know Barbie would have to walk on all fours to support her porportions.

The average model weighs one hundred and five pounds, wears a size 0-14, and starves herself just to do it.

The average woman weighs 145 pounds, wears a size 12-14, and lives a prettty happy life most of the time.

Marilyn Monroe wore a size 12.

Shocking.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 09, 2010 12:21PM) (new)

i think its stupid how people try to change their body so much, they think its for the better but then they go overboard and it looks bad

message 19: by ♥Jenny♥, Those who give happiness, deserve happiness. (new)

♥Jenny♥ | 138 comments Mod
Yeah. Like botox, I think it's dumb. I'd never get it done to myself. Maybe that has to do with my fear of needles : \

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) If I was more vain I'd probably have something done, but this is me, so take it or leave it. That's the way I look at it.

message 21: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Boob jobs, nose jobs, face lifts, and tummy tucks. In todays times, cosmetic surgery has become more popular than ever. How do you feel about this? Is there a limit to how much surgery you need?"

ugh. Cosmetic surgery. You shouldn't take it away from people but there should be limits.

Boob jobs: No one should ever need implants, (correct me if I am wrong). However large breasts can lead to back problems so I can see where Breast Reduction Surgery comes from.

Nose, eyes, ears etc: The only thing that should really cause you to get these kind of surgeries are facial reconstruction for when your face has been seiriously malled.

message 22: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Schneeb wrote: "♥Jenny♥ wrote: "Yeah. Like botox, I think it's dumb. I'd never get it done to myself. Maybe that has to do with my fear of needles : \"

It's okay. Needles can be scary. But botox, is really unec..."

Botox is injecting a posion into your muscles that paralyze them, there for removing the wrinkles. People POISON themselves for beauty.

message 23: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Also on the weight loss suergery even though it's cosmetic obesity can cause major health problems later in life.

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments You're all overreacting. people can do as they please with their bodies. It's their right. DON'T JUDGE!

message 25: by iNinja(: (new)

iNinja(: | 20 comments Air wrote: "You're all overreacting. people can do as they please with their bodies. It's their right. DON'T JUDGE!"

But shouldn't they just appreciate what they've got instead of asking for more?

message 26: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments If they want more, and it's in their power to get more. Let them have more. Or less. It's their fault when their faces start to look like a leather coach. XD

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments I think that it's a sad thing that people feel it necessary to surgically alter themselves. It really says a lot about how much some people value beauty, and it's quite sad. I don't understand why people can't just understand that they are beautiful, even without all the surgeries. And then I hear my brother make fun of a slightly overweight woman wearing a somewhat tight shirt, and I realize where their insecurities can come from. :(

That being said, there should not be a limit on the cosmetic surgery a person recieves, unless their doctors feel that they may be developing an "addiction".

message 28: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments Ugh.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments Air wrote: "Ugh."

Ugh?

message 30: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments Ugh.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Some people try to perform plastic sugary on themselves which results in ,as you may have guessed disastrous affects.

message 32: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments What about getting boob jobs for reconstruction purposes. I don't care if you want to change something about yourself go ahead but know when to say when.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments Devin wrote: "Some people try to perform plastic sugary on themselves which results in ,as you may have guessed disastrous affects."

For example:
http://traceyricksfoster.files.wordpr...

message 34: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments XD

message 35: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Can't say his name anymore without people getting mad.

message 36: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments Yup.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments People shouldn't get a free pass from being made fun of just because they're dead. ;)

message 38: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1422 comments XD

His nose makes me laugh.

message 39: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel (nflores) Any make-up is too much is my opinion. Girls look better without it. Now I'm not against just a SMALL bit of make-up on girls but if it's something that's hardly noticeable then I consider it ridiculous. And for stuff like cover up its the same...............Well I suppose it's all a matter of moderation.....so only put that which is neccesary. Possibly a little around the eyes and cheeks. Then you're good.........and as just a thing to say. I'm not gay and I have a gf. I just more or less know about these things for some reason.

message 40: by Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (last edited May 19, 2010 07:55PM) (new)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments I've only recently started wearing make-up, though I only wear it to things where appearance would matter (dances, formal events where you want to make a good impression). I don't where it everyday. It's so annoying to take off. :P

And I only wear stuff to even out my skin color on my face and to hide some of the less than good-looking traits on my face, with some light lipstick. I've tried more, but I'm so pale that I look like a clown with anything more.

message 41: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments I were "brownish gold" eye shadow, concealer only on MONSTERS and a nature hued lipstick.

message 42: by Daisy (new)

Daisy I use only natural mineral make-up. Foundation (my face is NATURALLY paler than the rest of me), mascara, and the occasional eyeshadow.

message 43: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Blaze wrote: "Any make-up is too much is my opinion. Girls look better without it. Now I'm not against just a SMALL bit of make-up on girls but if it's something that's hardly noticeable then I consider it ridic..."

btw, can you tell me how much makeup your gf wears?

message 44: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel (nflores) Not really. She hates make-up.

message 45: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 15 comments I think that having cosmetic surgery is never necessary because I think people look better if they just stay natural and most of the time, when people get cosmetic surgery, they look so bad and no one can really tell if that's their real body or face because they want so much surgery.

Personally, I will never have cosmetic surgery unless it is used to save my life, but other than that, I just think that cosmetic surgery is pretty useless to people and they can hurt people even worse than before because of the infections that come with the surgery.

message 46: by Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten (last edited May 20, 2010 05:23AM) (new)

Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten Guitar Chick-Dolly Dagger wrote: "Did you know Barbie would have to walk on all fours to support her porportions.

The average model weighs one hundred and five pounds, wears a size 0-14, and starves herself just to do it.

Th..."

Huh. I did not know that. Although I think that's sorta funny. Lol. I weigh about 105-110 lbs and wear anything between a size 0-6. haha. That's weird... And I don't starve myself! I LOVE to eat! Also, I don't wear any makeup, and people still tell me all the time how pretty I am. My youngest sister calls me Barbie quite often cause of how she think I look like a barbie doll. I mean, she has had conversations with their friends about how much I look like a barbie doll. it's kinda creepy... And my mom calls me Anime. She won't stop being convinced that I look like a living, breathing manga or anime girl. It's really annoying... Oh dear... I'm straying off topic. Sorry.

Yeah. I think that cosmetic surgery is not needed. It's only needed for those who are deformed in some way and need it to to look normal.

I think that getting surgery for weight loss it okay. There ARE other ways to loose weight, but being overweight causes medical problems. And getting surgery to loose weight is fine as long as it's for medical reasons.

While you are all on the subject of makeup... I think that makeup is unnecisary. Some creams maybe, but makeup really isn't needed. People look nice on their own without it. Now I hope none of you take this in an offensive way, but my dad went on a mission to Las Vegas, and being there, he learned to associate makeup with hookers... So cause of that I generally avoid makeup. I only wear it in drama. Makeup smells anyway.

message 47: by Girl4beluga (last edited May 20, 2010 07:55AM) (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments Hello, there is a time and a place for it. My aunt had a breast reduction and she is still a double d. There are people who need it like if they get pregnant and miscarriage sometimes one boob will shrink and the other one won't. I think that if you are so insecure about it.....fix it. Just know when to say when.

message 48: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) Though girls wear makeup to look good - all the reasons listed above are good ones - but makeup also protects your skin from at least some of the ravages of our world, like hot sun for instance or dry air or wind - whatever such like.

message 49: by Girl4beluga (last edited May 20, 2010 11:03AM) (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments I never thought about that. :)

message 50: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Ronyell wrote: "I think that having cosmetic surgery is never necessary because I think people look better if they just stay natural and most of the time, when people get cosmetic surgery, they look so bad and no ..."

cosmetic surgery is cosmetic it will never be used to save your life.

But if you were in a car accident and you didn't have a nose anymore would you walk around noseless?

« previous 1