Q&A with Leah Stewart discussion

Ask away

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah | 18 comments Mod
Thanks for joining me on Goodreads! Looking forward to your questions.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianebarnes) | 1 comments Hi Leah,

Thanks for taking questions! I'm wondering about your writing process. Where do you get your ideas? Once you get an idea, do you start with a plot outline and if so how close do you stick to it?

Thanks,

message 3: by Leah (new)

Leah | 18 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "Hi Leah,

Thanks for taking questions! I'm wondering about your writing process. Where do you get your ideas? Once you get an idea, do you start with a plot outline and if so how close do you stick..."

Like most writers, I notice a number of details in the world that suggest a good story, but some of them stick in my mind and some don't. Broadly speaking I get my ideas from what I observe in the lives of people around me, but not everything that's interesting leads to a story it would suit me to write. I'm interested in intense emotional experiences, and also in questions of identity, so I keep thinking about the things that press those buttons, and if I keep thinking about something enough I'll realize it's subject matter for a novel. I've tried with only one (still unfinished) book to write a plot outline before I began, and that was a bust. I suppose I need more of a feeling of discovery to keep going. So usually I just start, and I go until I get stuck, and then I try to figure out where I am and where I'm going. At that point I'll often do a plot outline, but it's pretty open. I'll know big turning points in the story, but I don't plan it scene by scene.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmoreno) When did you first start writing? And how did you turn that writing into writing novels?
Do you have any advice for aspiring writers who want to be authors?

message 5: by Leah (new)

Leah | 18 comments Mod
Cindy wrote: "When did you first start writing? And how did you turn that writing into writing novels?
Do you have any advice for aspiring writers who want to be authors?"

I started writing as a kid--mostly bad poems and imitations of my favorite fantasy novels. I don't know that I ever completed a story until college workshops required me to. After graduate school, I set about trying to write a novel and taught myself how to do it as I went along. My best advice is to make writing part of your routine, whether it's daily or twice-weekly or whatever works for you. Otherwise it's easy to let it fall by the wayside when there are so many other pressing things to take care of. Also, read, read, read, and look for models of the kind of book you want to write.