All Things Jim Butcher discussion

I get to meet Jim Butcher tonight!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Haney (haneyg) | 40 comments Mod
Jim Butcher started his signing tour for Changes last night in Texas. Tonight, he happens to be in Seattle, WA, only a couple hours from where I live.

I have never met him before, missing out on my chance a few years ago when he was last in the region. However, I will make making the trip tonight. :)

Being the avid collector that I am, I currently own 21 books by Jim, including both US and UK versions of the Codex Alera series. I have only been to one book signing event before for a small author and don't really know the proper etiquette for these large events where event tickets are charged.

I would really like to bring and have signed all 21 of my books, however I understand that this might not be allowed. As the determined individual I am, I have been working on finding out the answer since early this morning. I called the bookstore hosting the event, emailed Butcher's publicist Angela Januzzi a few times, posted questions on forums, etc. No one could give me a straight answer until I just received this email not 30 minutes ago:

Jim Butcher to me
2:46 PM (29 minutes ago)

If you're willing to wait to run through the line a couple of times, I'm willing to keep on signing until everyone is happy.

Jim

Sent from my iPad

That is just awesome. Jim Butcher himself emailed me to answer my question. Pretty cool that he goes that far for a random question from a fan.

So has anyone else here met Jim?

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly (velvetsun) | 3 comments Wow!
That is so awesome, you lucky thing. :)

I haven't had the chance to meet him yet, but maybe someday.

message 3: by Jamie (JK) (last edited Apr 07, 2010 03:41PM) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) That is pretty darn awesome that he emailed you himself. Hope all goes well with you getting there.

And hey while you are there, you should mention GoodReads to him! Maybe he could join the site. =]

And to answer yer question, I haven't met him.

message 4: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Haney (haneyg) | 40 comments Mod
Last night's signing went fantastic. The line for the event stretched back through hallways, up staircases and into the courtyard outside. Easily 300 people, and once we poured into the large amphitheater it seemed everyone couldn't contain their excitement, so Jim skipped the reading from Changes and spent 8-9pm just taking questions from the audience. He talked about so many topics, and I couldn't believe how funny his responses were! (Sidenote: Jim asks everyone to keep an eye out for his hair. Apparently he woke up a few nights ago and his hair had not yet returned from fighting nightly crime. He fears the worst.)

Some topics of interest include future works. Concerning the Dresden Files he said that everything is just getting started, and the minor plot points he planted in early novels will soon be coming to fruition. His "dominoes are all set up, and I can't wait to finally push them all over. I pushed the first with Changes."

He talked a bit about other works as well, recounting the story of Codex Alera and the goal to win a bet by writing a series about Romans and Pokemon. He also said he might be dabbling in a science fiction novel about space US Marshals, and he'll be co-writing a book with a New Zealand author about broken heroes in a post apocalyptic world after they failed to stop [insert dark lord name here:].

At 9pm he started signing books. Nearly every person attending had a copy of Changes, and over half of them also brought other books for Jim to sign. Since I had the most at 21 books to be signed I decided to wait until every other person was finished having books signed and pictures taken. It wasn't until after midnight that I finally met Jim. By that time he was completely exhausted so I didn't want to take too much of his time in conversation, so I kept it short and thanked him for his continued works and patience in signing my books.

Bottom line, I recommend everyone go see Jim Butcher if you have the chance and like his works. He's very funny, keeps the focus and intrigue in his works, and most importantly he cares about and is patient with his fans. Him signing my 21 books is just testament to that fact.

message 5: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) He certainly did start some huge things in Changes and he really did go back to small plot points from other novels. I love the guy for being able to have the little things fit in one book and then come back much later on to be something big. He's just awesome at tying in all of his books together. I can't wait for the next Dresden novel... man, a year is a long wait. Luckily there are three short stories to tide me over for the next year.

I'll have to keep my eye out for the other two books he mention, both sound like they'd be awesome. I'm especially eager to see how he handles science fiction. He's done an amazing job with Urban Fantasy and Fantasy, I'm betting he'll have no problem with another genre.

Thanks for the info!

And Codex Alera being Romans and Pokemon - :D

message 6: by Ctanner (new)

Ctanner | 1 comments I live in Tucson and Jim is going to be here (nobody comes here)in Novemeber and I am so excited.