Goodtunes discussion

Questions > What Music Means To You

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Tell us about your love of music. Is it just something to keep the quiet away, or do you live your life with a soundtrack playing in the background?

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Music is a mood thing for me. It has the ability to put me in a good mood or creative mood or a sad mood depending on the music, of course. It can motivate me at times. Because I stay mainly in the living area at home I don't listen to it as much as I'd like. The family seems to have the TV on most of the time. But I sneak in a few minutes of music when they are off doing other things.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I agree with you both. I have songs in my head most of the time. I definitely feel like I have a soundtrack to my life. Music really touches me on a deep level. I'll go through periods where I only listen to music in the car, or at work in my office, and then there are other times when I have it on all the time.

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) It's said that "music can soothe a savage beast" and it's true. I don't know what it is in our makeup that makes us crave music. I like to picture our ancestors sitting around a fire and being lulled by handmade instruments.

Music can calm me or energize me. It's hard not to smile and nod your head when you're listening to a loud rock song. I listened to Clash's "Train in Vain," "Rock the Casbah," and "Should I Stay or Should I Go" this morning on the drive to work and they picked me up on this rainy gray day.

I love poetry and am drawn to poetic, slower songs where the writer knows how to turn a perfect phrase. It's probably why I'm more drawn to folk and singer/songwriter music than heavy metal or industrial.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Well said, Tressa. I agree. I tend to like moody, melancholy songs. Maybe it's my melancholy, phlegmatic nature. On the other hand, I've come to like some loud guitar in a good alternative song. And I'm a sucker for a song with a good dance beat.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I like your seasonal choices, Eugenia. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I know what you mean. I like to celebrate the seasons, too.

message 9: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 96 comments The opening page to my magazine's website says it all:

www.sonicruin.com

message 10: by Gary (new)

Gary | 70 comments 'Where Rock and Roll is life'

Yeah, definitely a philosophy I can live by.

message 11: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Music is my life. Without it, I would be living on the street. My mom is a piano/voice teacher and my dad is a Worship Arts leader at our church. I'm in choir, piano lessons, orchestra, and an occasional violin lesson. But it's not all work, music is my main inspiration for my novel. It helps me daydream and clear out situations in my ridiculous middle school life. My orchestra teacher once told me, "I think music is God's language." (I was especially pleased with this comment because I go to public school!) Music can calm me down or just entertain me. It can also set a distinct mood.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Apr 10, 2010 08:54AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I think if I lost music, I'd have a hole in me. It's such a big part of life for me.

message 14: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments Music and Jesus is my life. Music is just so much to me. Playing, singing, and listening. DAncing occasionaly too, although I usually make someone pass out from laughter if I do. Life would not be liveable without music.

message 15: by LinBee (new)

LinBee Music got me through some rough patches in my life. I don't know where I'd be if I hadn't had music and friends that introduced me to music I might not have discovered on my own. I usually walk around with one (or 2 or 3) songs stuck in my head. And they improve my mood, make me want to get up and move, or sit and relax, or if I'm angry make me stop and just listen.

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 513 comments Mod
MUSIC! Just saying the word music starts to lift ones spirit. Eugenia I know all about a song making you cry. Every time I hear Phil Collins singing Against All Odds I get teary eyed, and if i'm having a crap day I might just start crying like a baby. The same goes for Un-Break My Heart by Toni Braxton. For every memorable thing that has happened to me, or has effected me there's a song to go with it. I love the song New York Minute, by Don Henley, but after 9/11 they played that song, and it got a whole different meaning. Now when I hear it I stop and say a little prayer for all those people that died, and the ones that had to go on living.

message 17: by Lori (new)

Queensryche made a CD called Promised Land. Every song on it speaks to me. It's like they knew me, and wrote it for me. My whole life seems to be told through it. This is the link to the title song, give it a listen. The video was made by a fan, and it's really good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKXPbi...

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) It's my voice when I can't say the words and my friend when I have none who know me, Music can be chosen to suit my mood, to help me be creative and to inspire a sense of fun and abandon. Few things offer you so much without asking for much more in return.

message 19: by Lori (new)

Amanda did you take poetry classes? Because that sounds so inspiring & up lifting. And true!

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) I'm a poet and an author actually :) Thanks!

message 21: by Lori (new)

Your all that and a box of white chocolate! Mmm Mmm good :)