Goodtunes discussion

Musical Groups > Radiohead

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 126 comments Mod
Radiohead has been a favorite of mine for, like, 13 or 14 years. I love them. Their music can be so diverse in genre, from jazz to insane electronic to some of the most beautiful music you've heard produced in decades. They can also rock, and kick ass doing it.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I've been a fan of Radiohead since "The Bends." That is a great record. They are so diverse, like you said. I have all their CDs except "Pablo Honey." They are a really good band.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Pablo Honey isn't that great a record, imo. There's maybe one or two good songs on it. When listening to it, you can tell that the band were still trying to find their niche, or their voice, in music.

The Bends is indeed a great record. It's hard to believe that it came after Pablo Honey...LOL. I also really like Amnesiac, OK Computer, and Kid A

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) That's how I felt. Now I wish I had kept Pablo Honey. Those are all good records. I really like their new record. Sounds like The Bends, but a little more instrumental/artsy.

message 5: by Jason (new)

In Rainbows is a pretty good record. I feel that their peek in creativity might be passed now, though. Hopefully not. Even if it is, they still create some of the best music out there.

I wonder what you think of the song "Videotape"? Everyone on the Internet says that song is one of the greatest Radiohead have ever done. But I hate it. Always have since I first heard it. Which is a rarity for me. I love most of their songs.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Hmm. I'd have to check it out again. I can't always remember their song titles. I'll get back to you on that.

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I love Thom's voice. "True Love Waits" is one of my favorites, and, of course, "Fake Plastic Trees."

I love how he gets into his songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1GQIr...

message 8: by Jason (new)

"Pyramid Song" is one of my favorites. "Fake Plastic Trees" too.

message 9: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) That's a haunting song, Jason. But WTH is it about?

message 10: by StephanieT (new)

StephanieT | 31 comments When I bought my new car, I christened it with "The Bends", the first CD I played in it.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Okay, Jason. I listened to "Videotape." So not the best song ever by Radiohead. I'm with you on that one.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) You're right about Radiohead's evolving sound, Eugenia.

Stephanie, I bet "The Bends" brings happy memories to you.

message 13: by Jason (new)

Tressa, I looked up the lyrics for Pyramid song, and I think that it's about death.

The Lyrics are:

I jumped in the river, and what did I see?
Black eyed angels swam with me
A moon full of stars and astral cars
And all the things I used to see
All my lovers were there with me
All my pasts and futures
And we all went to heaven in a little row boat
There was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt.

message 14: by Jason (new)

Agreed Danielle. I can't stand the piano in that song. I wouldn't be so bad if they changed it up every now and then.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) So true, Jason.

message 16: by StephanieT (new)

StephanieT | 31 comments Good memories, and cathartic ones, it was the soundtrack during my divorce as well. :D

"Sometimes you sulk, sometimes you burn
God rest your soul
When the loving comes and we've already gone
Just like your dad, you'll never change"

and

"The troubled words of a troubled mind I try to understand what is eating you
I try to stay awake but its 58 hours since that I last slept with you
What are we coming to?
I just don't know anymore"

And I cannot find my copy of in Rainbows, where the bleep is it?!?!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I have mine in my cd case. It's nice to have handy. Great CD.

message 18: by Jason (new)

"In Rainbows" is a great cd. I keep my in its case too. My case for it is really big, though. My wife got me the collector's box set edition for Christmas the year it was offered over the Internet. It came with an EP full of extra songs.

I really like Radiohead's EPs, like "Airbag/How Am I Driving?", The "My Iron Lung" ep, "Com Lag", and the one they released with that In Rainbows box set. Their music gets really strange on those releases.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Radiohead can get...shall we say....experimental, at times. :)

message 20: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Hey, got to keep their flavor fresh.

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 513 comments Mod
I have never listened to them. I've heard of them, just never listened to them. Looks like I need to if their that good.

message 23: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Thom's got a unique voice. Very ethereal. I love their songs. Listen to the acoustic version of "Creep" every day.

message 24: by Lori (new)

Now I know I'll have to give them a try. :)

message 25: by Jason (new)

They can sound haunted or jazzy, extremely sad or happy-like. I suggest starting with OK Computer or Amnesia. Maybe even The Bends.

message 26: by Lori (new)

Will do , thanks Jason. :)

message 27: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I like all their music, but their slow songs are the best because they highlight Thom's great voice. Listen to "True Love Waits."