The Dark Hunter World discussion

Dark Hunter Book Discussion > One Silent Night (Dark Hunter #13)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly (velvetsun) | 119 comments Mod
One Silent Night (Dark-Hunter, #17) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

In the world of the Dark-Hunters, all hell’s breaking loose…

Stryker has sent word and is gathering his forces.

While the world carries on unawares, Stryker, who leads an army of demons and vampires, is plotting an all out onslaught against his enemies—which, unfortunately for us, includes the entire human race. To avenge his sister, Stryker prepares to annihilate the Dark-Hunters. But things go awry when his oldest enemy returns. Enter his ex-wife. Zephyra. Just when he thought nothing could stop him, he’s now embroiled in a centuries old war with a shrew who gives new meaning to pain.

It’s Christmas Eve and new battle lines are being drawn as the Dark-Hunters rally for a final showdown on ONE SILENT NIGHT.

message 2: by Zeek (new)

Zeek | 20 comments This one got a bad rap- I personally liked it!

message 3: by Heather C (new)

Heather C (heathercook) hated the female Zephyra. I kinda liked Stryker but his HEA sucked

message 4: by Holly (new)

Heather C wrote: "hated the female Zephyra. I kinda liked Stryker but his HEA sucked"

This was def not my favorite DH book. I found it a little hard to root for a HEA for what were supposed to be villains. But, hey...that's just me.

message 5: by Zeek (last edited Apr 09, 2010 04:31AM) (new)

Zeek | 20 comments Def. has some strikes against it
-short novel, despite the price-
-information dumping for the new arch of the Dark Hunter saga.
-Stryker is no noble hero.
-the heroine is a shrew.

BUT, somehow yet again, Kenyon made it work for me!

Stryker may've been a pretty bad guy in previous novels, but he made some choices in this book that redeemed some of his past actions, imo.

As for Phyra, I couldn't help but like her.

(Copied from my review):

She believed, falsely, that the love of her life chose his father over her and when she discovered their child was going to die of the same curse that once threatened Stryker- she did what she had to do to save her life. What's not to like about a woman with that much strength?

What really made the book, however, was seeing Ash again. Sure I wasn't completely enthralled with his own story (Acheron)- but man I still love seeing him show up!

PLUS Nick seemed to be finally coming out of his whiny stage!

I also liked that Jarad guy- very intrigued by him.

So for me, not a bad read!

message 6: by Stav (new)

Stav (voliotisa) | 13 comments Zeek wrote: "What really made the book, however, was seeing Ash again. Sure I wasn't completely enthralled with his own story (Acheron)- but man I still love seeing him show up! "

I love Ash. His book/story was somewhat meh in my opinion. The first half about his past was epic and awesome, but his HEA. I didn't like that Tory all that much. It was so anticlimactic.

But Jarad and Jaden? I cannot wait to get more of their stories.

message 7: by Zeek (new)

Zeek | 20 comments But Jarad and Jaden? I cannot wait to get more of their stories.

Word.

I thot Tory was a dishrag- I was like- he waited 11,000 yrs for HER? whatEVER. lol!

message 8: by Stav (new)

Stav (voliotisa) | 13 comments thank you!!!

I've had this discussion numerous times with my friend who introduced me to the DH. I thought she was childish and immature beyond belief. And I don't care how nerdy or smart she was supposedly supposed to be.

message 9: by Zeek (new)

Zeek | 20 comments The idea of a nerdy chick catchin Ash had a ton of appeal but kenyon couldnt pull it off for me.

sigh

but really would I've been happy with anyone less then ME?! lmao!

message 10: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 43 comments Zeek wrote: "
I thot Tory was a dishrag- I was like- he waited 11,000 yrs for HER? whatEVER. lol!"

Here, here sister. Where do i sign for the club? I think he could have done so much better! Out of all the heroines she was the most annoying by far for me.

message 11: by Holly (new)

Zeek wrote: "But Jarad and Jaden? I cannot wait to get more of their stories.

Word.

I thot Tory was a dishrag- I was like- he waited 11,000 yrs for HER? whatEVER. lol!"

I'm SO glad someone agrees with me about Tory. Can't. Stand. Her.
Ash deserved a much better HEA imo.

message 12: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) I have a question I've been meaning to ask for a while about the end of this book, don't worry no spoilers:

Just before the epilogue someone tells Nick that before Ash was a god "...he was half human and half charonte." Um, is this right because I don't remember reading that in Acheron? Charonte are demons so why did he never have hornies (sorry couldn't resist a Simi-ism!)?

Holly, I didn't like Tory either. I felt like I should have stopped reading when I got to the present day. He definitely deserved better.

I can't wait for Jarad's and Jaden's stories.

message 13: by Colette (new)

Colette | 8 comments I was thinking the same thing about that Half Human/Half Charonte comment. I even went back through books to see if I missed something! I wonder if the reason he turns blue and stuff is because he is half Charonte? Because other gods don't look like demons. But I still have no clue why he would be half Charonte. Unless his father wasn't Archon after all. Which would mean that the three fates aren't his half sisters either...

message 14: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) Oh good, I'm not the only one confused by this then. :)

message 15: by Heather C (new)

Heather C (heathercook) OMG. I'm so confused too. I hope she gives some good background info in No Mercy or I'm going to be totally lost. I really don't want to reread

message 16: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy | 216 comments I didn;t enjoy this one as much as the others. I always thought when I read Stryker's story it would be more... BAD! I'm like, he's evil and I just hoped for more with his HEA.

message 17: by Corazon (last edited Jul 02, 2010 01:47PM) (new)

Corazon (corazonsliterature) Amy or "Ames" wrote: "I have a question I've been meaning to ask for a while about the end of this book, don't worry no spoilers:

Just before the epilogue someone tells Nick that before Ash was a god "...he was half h..."

One Silent Night was - for me - one of the worst books in the series. Stryker was ok, but his wife? Zephyra was the first woman I really hate in the DH series.

And about Ash with this half human/half demon thing...
sometimes I ask me, if SK really knows what she is writing or if she has a ghostwriter who do the work for her. During the whole series there are some things that doesn't fit.

About Ash's blue form... SK told this was his real god form; he inherited it from Archon.
But through all books she made clear from the beginning, that Ash was born as a god; his parents Apollymi and Archon; he was transfered in a human's body and was born as human twin with Styx.
At 21 he become his own powers back.

I don't think, that Apollymi had an affair with a charonte demon; if she had, Ash couldn't be the god he is. He wouldn't have the inherited powers from Archon to create life.

message 18: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) Corazon wrote: "Amy or "Ames" wrote: "I have a question I've been meaning to ask for a while about the end of this book, don't worry no spoilers:

Just before the epilogue someone tells Nick that before Ash was..."

I'm guessing the half Charonte thing was a mistake on Kenyon's part then.

message 19: by *Ash* (new)

*Ash* (ashdex) i haven't read the book yet, just wondering if this book comes before or after Archeron? i'm confused, because in 1 book it says before and in another it says after... would like some clarification if possible. Thanks all.

message 20: by Corazon (new)

Corazon (corazonsliterature) *Ash*

Here is the reading order for the DH series....

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 21: by *Ash* (new)

*Ash* (ashdex) thank you

message 22: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (ArgenteBiblio) | 3 comments I happen to like Tory, but being a gothish nerd with a love of languages I would.
I have also been CONFUSED by the half human/half charonte thing. It says before he was a god though. So maybe it's the king or queen?

message 23: by Elsie (new)

Elsie (aussiemom2) | 15 comments Stefani wrote: "I happen to like Tory, but being a gothish nerd with a love of languages I would.
I have also been CONFUSED by the half human/half charonte thing. It says before he was a god though. So maybe i..."

You're not the only one who's confused. It was never mentioned that either Archon or Apollymi were part Charonte.