You Debate, We De Sharks discussion

91 views
Planet Earth > Global Warming

Comments Showing 1-50 of 206 (206 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by ƙămįƞāŕı«, If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side. (new)

ƙămįƞāŕı« (hellokaty) | 295 comments Mod
Do you think it really is a serious issue? How does it affect your everyday life and our future?


message 2: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 106 comments Phony as a three dollar bill. I live in the south where we never get snow. We got three days off of school because people couldn't drive in to get to the school.


message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

i dont really know, i haven't gotten into it yet.


message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think that it's all that serious. Earth goes through climate changes all the time, some mild some explosively. I had about a foot of snow in my desert town when we usually get about a couple of inches!


message 5: by ƙămįƞāŕı«, If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side. (new)

ƙămįƞāŕı« (hellokaty) | 295 comments Mod
This year, it's too darn hot. It's only spring and we already all up on them 90's!


message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Its sad that ice is melting (for the polar bears) but i dont think people are causing it, i think it's natural.


message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

You got 90's?! I wish I had 90 degree whether down here. I'm like a reptile, slow in the cold, great in the heat.


message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

then you tell me, how do we stop it?


message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

lol


message 10: by ƙămįƞāŕı«, If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side. (new)

ƙămįƞāŕı« (hellokaty) | 295 comments Mod
Hyper wrote: "You got 90's?! I wish I had 90 degree whether down here. I'm like a reptile, slow in the cold, great in the heat."

You don't want no 90's. It's so hot and humid my hair is frizzy most of the time. I got a freaking tan just by sitting in the car for 20minutes! That's doing too much I'm not trying to get skin cancer.


message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I live in the freaking dessert. I'm used to heat.


message 12: by ƙămįƞāŕı«, If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side. (new)

ƙămįƞāŕı« (hellokaty) | 295 comments Mod
I used to live by the Horizon, but Lord knows I don't like the hot climate.


message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Heh, two different worlds.


message 14: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 106 comments I live in Alabama and it's pretty warm here for this time o year.


message 15: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

Poindextεrr. (carpe_diem) | 479 comments Mod
It's hot where I live, but not unbearably so. On average it's about eighty degrees Farenheit. It's so much moisture in the air 'cause I live close to the beach, and it sooo humid!

I hate the heat, but I also hate the cold. My favorite season is Autumn, when the weather is just right. ;)


message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) I'll be convinced in global warming when we have a "Water World" situation.


message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually try this experiment. Get ice and put it on water. Measure the water level before and after the melting. It doesn't move. Even if we are heading to "Global Warming" there would be no water world


message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) Actually it does a little. Approximately 10% of a floating iceberg is visible above the surface of the water. That is one reason the Titanic was sunk.


message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I know, but the wieght apon the surrounding waters makes the the tide rise the same as if it would melt.


Olivia ^^The Awesome Mushroom^^ (canttaketheawesomeness) | 63 comments Brandon wrote: "Actually try this experiment. Get ice and put it on water. Measure the water level before and after the melting. It doesn't move. Even if we are heading to "Global Warming" there would be no water ..."

Actually, we would. If you look at the size of the icebergs and glaciers that are melting, technically (and there have been lots of scientific studies about this) mostly the coastal areas would be flooded with water, and people would have to evacuate those areas, because of the sheer size of the glaciers and icebergs that are melting. There won't exactly be what you call a "Water World", but we will lose a sizable amount of land, which we could have prevented if we had taken the liberty to actually care for the environment we live in.


Olivia ^^The Awesome Mushroom^^ (canttaketheawesomeness) | 63 comments Schneeb wrote: "*Maria*the cat spirit* wrote: "Its sad that ice is melting (for the polar bears) but i dont think people are causing it, i think it's natural."

If it weren't for us, the ozone layer wouldn't be ..."


I agree! :D


message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) I melt snow for drinking water during the winter and one bucket of snow, packed as tight as I can, generates at the very best (not all that often by the way) half a bucket of water. Most of the time, I'm doing good to get a third of a bucket. Glacier ice, the oldest parts anyway, are much denser but still they float so there is still air in there. I mean, that's a lot of mass to float. If the ice were as dense as water, it wouldn't float. The very lowest coastal shores might succumb to a higher tide, but in reality, I doubt there would be the massive loss of coastline global warming experts want us to believe will happen. Plus, there is no mention of continued precipitation. Snow will always be falling somewhere, a little or a lot, and rain will also be falling somewhere. The only way we loose so much coastline is if all of that stops entirely, and if that happens, it will truly be the end of all things.


message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I heared something on the news today, i didn't watch the whole thing but, something about the ice actually increasing.


Olivia ^^The Awesome Mushroom^^ (canttaketheawesomeness) | 63 comments I doubt that the ice is increasing.


message 25: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 106 comments What if is???? What if Al Gore is actually lieing to us like I've known all along.????


message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) Al Gore is a windbag. Don't believe a thing he says.


message 27: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (mlfoleygoodreadscom) haha wow?!


message 28: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 106 comments I know. I haven't beleived anything hes said. He makes me laugh sometimes though.


message 29: by ♥Jenny♥, Those who give happiness, deserve happiness. (new)

♥Jenny♥ | 138 comments Mod
Anna wrote: "Al Gore is a windbag. Don't believe a thing he says."

D : *picks mouth of the floor* Al Gore is a genius. The inconvient truth was very enlightening. What, do you think that he's lying about global warming? He made up all of that scientifical evidence that he found? That's ridiculous... D : Are you a republican?


message 30: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) Whether I'm a democrat or a republican has absolutely nothing to do with it - even less with me because I can't vote anyway AND I live in Alaska. I really think I should know if my winters are getting warmer or not.


Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments I'm not really convinced either way. I am rather suspricious of Al Gore, though. Anyone who makes a large profit and gains that much fame deserves a bit of suspision. It doesn't mean, necessarily, that he isn't right, but people should be a bit more willing to doubt him.


message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Dude. More like global freezing.w http://www.jamesspann.com/wordpress/w... this is in my state of Al. Lol.


message 33: by ♥Jenny♥, Those who give happiness, deserve happiness. (new)

♥Jenny♥ | 138 comments Mod
Anna wrote: "Whether I'm a democrat or a republican has absolutely nothing to do with it - even less with me because I can't vote anyway AND I live in Alaska. I really think I should know if my winters are get..."

Okay, just watch The One Degree Factor or An Inconvienent Truth or something of importance in reguards of global warming. Learn something.


message 34: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) Fine - and in the mean time, we're having record breaking cold temps.


message 35: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (last edited Apr 17, 2010 05:46AM) (new)

Poindextεrr. (carpe_diem) | 479 comments Mod
Anna wrote: "Fine - and in the mean time, we're having record breaking cold temps."

Anna, what you're saying irritates me.

Global Warming isn't this obvious, sudden transformation from cold to hot. It slow, gradual increase in the overall temperature.

The planet's overall temp has already risen by exactly one degree -- a seemingly small amount, but care to know it's effect?

I'll give you an example I learned from watching 'The One Degree Factor'. There's a certain species of caribou leaving in the northern parts of the US that has migrated across the north every summer EVERY year. There used to be hundreds of thousands of these caribou, and Native Americans living in that area (our oldest group of Native Americans) used those caribou for food, its skin for clothes, and its fat for cooking. Anyway, these caribou are very sensitive to climate -- every feature about them has adapted to that specific climate. Since the temp has risen, thousands of those caribou are being killed off.

I understand The Law of Natural Selection and that only the fittest will survive this change and adapt, but I just wanted to give you an example of how Global Warming is already impacting our animal kingdom. Before you shut your eyes and ears to Global Warming, careless about the animals, remember this: there is a delicate balance between man and animal. What will those Native Americans do without their caribou?

And I really think it's ignorant for you to just pretend Global Warming doesn't exist. The evidence is all around you. When your great-grandkids ask you what a polar bear is and why they never see any, you'll realize how unfair it is to them to just sit around and turn the other cheek. Of course, by then, it'll have been too late.


Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments But the thing is that climate study is not an exact science. There are so many changing factors that affect climate, there's not way to be completely certain. Maybe they're right, and the world is going to burn to a crisp (a hyperbole, I know). Maybe they're wrong, and it's just natural climate change.


message 37: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

Poindextεrr. (carpe_diem) | 479 comments Mod
Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "But the thing is that climate study is not an exact science. There are so many changing factors that affect climate, there's not way to be completely certain. Maybe they're right, and the world i..."

By the time we figure out if it was really Global Warming it'll be too late!

So you're saying we should just sit around and keep polluting the earth until we're for sure that the climate change is caused by us, and THEN try to fix it?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.


message 38: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments The reefs are dieing from too hot water and the ice caps are melting. All I hold dear is disappearing.


message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sorry but all who say if you dont belive in climate change is a rupuplican. and if you do, a democrat. I just want to say that you guys who belive in this that you are wrong. If you do belive, you're gulible and if you dont, you have common sense.


message 40: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) Poindex†εrr. wrote: "Anna wrote: "Fine - and in the mean time, we're having record breaking cold temps."

Anna, what you're saying irritates me.

Global Warming isn't this obvious, sudden transformation from cold t..."


There is nothing wrong with the caribou herds here in Alaska, nothing natural anyway. They are still here and they would still be in good numbers if our game management people didn't get the brilliant idea to allow every single hunter that ever wants to hunt for them the privilege of taking five. Now I know that they are small and a take of five has been that way for years. The rub is that now anyone from around the world can have five. FIVE!!! Have you got any idea what that kind of take can do to a herd. Your one degree is paltry.


message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) Poindex†εrr, Yes some reefs are dying and yes some glaciers are receding faster than they are being made, but this is not the end of the world. Things will change but they won't be changing THAT much and if we all do our level best to take care of our world, there is nothing more we can do. I have even seen s scientific study, I think it was on Nova, where it was speculated that the decrease in pollution in the air was the cause of our warming because all that particulate matter deflected some of the heat radiation from the sun.


message 42: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) If you all want to worry about something, maybe you should worry about why we're suddenly having so many earthquakes around the world.


message 44: by Poindextεrr., If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention!!! (new)

Poindextεrr. (carpe_diem) | 479 comments Mod
Brandon wrote: "I'm sorry but all who say if you dont belive in climate change is a rupuplican. and if you do, a democrat. I just want to say that you guys who belive in this that you are wrong. If you do belive, ..."

Well, you're an ignorant, judgemental person to say that just because I believe in Global Warming that I'm a Republican. You can't just go around judging people because of their beliefs, in case simple home training never taught you that. It's rude and it's being judgemental, which is completly unfair.

Just because I'm open the the idea of Global Warming and you choose to turn the other cheek, doesn't mean you automatically know my political views and my level of intelligence. You simply assume these things.


message 45: by Anna (last edited Apr 18, 2010 12:15PM) (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) Poindex†εrr, you got it backwards, but the subject was brought up before and not by Brandon. In truth the global warming issue >true or not< has been so politicized that it nearly has become a 'democrat' vs 'republican' issue, rather than a 'global warming' issue.


message 46: by Tsuki (new)

Tsuki Guitar Chick-Dolly Dagger wrote: "Phony as a three dollar bill. I live in the south where we never get snow. We got three days off of school because people couldn't drive in to get to the school."

Because it snowed in one southern town must mean that it is snowing everywhere thus disproving global warming! Seriously I believe the key word is GLOBAL. Oh yeah and during the winter in america, practically the rest of the world was having extreme amounts of heat waves. One quote for you "oh no a dingo just stole my baby, that means dingos everywhere are stealing everybody's babies!"


message 47: by Tsuki (new)

Tsuki Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "I'm not really convinced either way. I am rather suspricious of Al Gore, though. Anyone who makes a large profit and gains that much fame deserves a bit of suspision. It doesn't mean, necessaril..."

I understand how you are suspicious of Al Gore, but don't think of him as an individual. Rather as a figure head to scientists. Since it is so hard for people to comprehend what is going on when thousands of people are saying it, they get one person to say it for them (Al Gore). Think of it like a lobbyist for AARP, the single person is NOT AARP, but they do represent the vast amount of people and information that make up AARP.


Olivia ^^The Awesome Mushroom^^ (canttaketheawesomeness) | 63 comments Anna wrote: "Whether I'm a democrat or a republican has absolutely nothing to do with it - even less with me because I can't vote anyway AND I live in Alaska. I really think I should know if my winters are get..."

Maybe you don't care now, but you'll care when all the ice melts and Alaska become Atlantis.


message 49: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) Because I argue that global warming is not the disaster everyone wants us to believe it is, you think I don't care. My entire life style is dependent upon the weather. I care.


message 50: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 106 comments I mean, yeah its gonna get warm in Florida or Alabama or Georgia, but thats natural! But we had a lot of snow this winter, even if it didn't stick. Global Warning is one big ploy for your money so a stuck up politician can be freakin rich.


« previous 1 3 4 5
back to top