Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Illustrator(s)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roxanne Hsu (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Roxanne Hsu Feldman (fairrosa) | 10 comments I joined this fabulous network today and applied to be a librarian. Thanks for accepting my service in return.

I've noticed that although one can enter up to 3 authors for each book, there is no field for illustrators. Since there are many graphic works here -- both children's picture books and graphic novels, it seems reasonable to have those hardworking creators of great artwork acknowledged as well.

Are plans in place to expand the fields?

message 2: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Hi Fairrosa,

Yes, we have plans to support illustrators, but it's 4-6 weeks off.

message 3: by Lisa (not getting friends updates) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 2403 comments When I've had to manually add a book, I've been putting illustrator information in the book description box. I'll go back when there's a separate field for illustrators and use that.

message 4: by John (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

John | 73 comments I do the same with audio narrators.

message 5: by Sally (new)

Sally | 30 comments I have an opinion about illustrators in children's picture books. They make or break a picture book, and I count them as equal weight, if not more, than the author.

I just spent some time putting illustrator's names into the 2nd author field for a few of my favorite kids' authors. I LOVE Mark Teague's illustrations, and you can't find most of his work in the Goodreads database unless it's a book he authored.

So, call me a dunce, I just did all that work before noticing the sidebar that says:

"Authors: Add primary authors in the author fields. Contributing editors and illustrators should be mentioned in the description field for now (we plan to improve this in the future)."

It never occurred to me that illustrators weren't authors! They are to me.

So, may I continue, or should I hold off? What's the consensus?

your kid book lovin librarian,
Sally

message 6: by Lasairfiona (new)

Lasairfiona | 38 comments So yeah, what happened to supporting illustrators and artists? Comics really aren't the same if you don't count the main artist. Amazon lists author and illustrator in parenthesis. Can we do the same?

message 7: by Paige (new)

Paige (paige_eliz) | 2 comments I'm finding this to be increasingly problematic with picture books. Right now, a search for Brian Selznick (2008 winner of the Caldecott medal) doesn't list many of his earlier works, as he is "just" the illustrator, not the author. I agree with Sallyb (above) - for this type of book, the illustrator is just as (sometimes more) important than the author.

message 8: by Angel (new)

Angel (mnemosyne) | 48 comments I think Amazon does it differently than you realize. Amazon has a "role" for illustrator. When you add an author for an Amazon book, it asks you what "type" of author they are, and there's a drop down menu where you can choose "Author, Illustrator, Editor, Translator, etc" Choosing one of those roles is what makes (author) or (illustrator) show up in parentheses after the name. It isn't typed in manually or anything.

GoodReads is working on a feature where it will show the roles of illustrators, translators (or the reader in the case of audio books). I think right now we're just waiting for that to be implemented, and then we can go back and add all the illustrators correctly.

In the meantime, I'm leaving illustrators alone because I know we'll just have to go back and fix them in a month or so when the new feature becomes available, and I'm just saving myself the work of changing the book twice.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 2403 comments Angel, I"m still putting the contributors in the book description field. I figure that when we get fields for them, the information will be there (for all Goodreads users) and I copy & paste from the box into the provided field. Your way is fine too. I also have to change one author's name back when we get the AKA option.

message 10: by Lula (new)

Lula (lulalund) | 2 comments Are most librarians putting the Translator in the book description field? or in one of the author fields?

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 2403 comments I put translators in the description field. Translators, Illustrators, those who write prefaces & introductions that are important, anyone who isn't the author(s). Translators are crucial but they are not the authors; they didn't write the material from scratch.

message 12: by Sally (new)

Sally | 30 comments So, I have noticed that some books show the illustrator this way:

Name (Illustrator)

which means that an author as an illustrator shows up as separate than author as an author, even if they're the same person.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

Is this intentional?

By they way, thanks for listening to my ramblings about illustrators!
Sally

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 39987 comments Mod
IMO, those should be edited to merge (as I just did with that example). I realize people are trying to work within the existing system until the new field(s) are added, but I think making someone into two listings is just confusing.

message 14: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments I've been going through and putting illustrator, translator, trans., editor, ed., and so forth into the proper name form when I stumble upon them. I suspect it's coming more from secondhand book sales with improperly formatted author fields than from goodreads users trying to provide more information, although I should admit that I haven't been checking.

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Some, definitely -- I've seen them like that on Amazon. But the edit logs indicate that some people are putting them in that way too.

message 16: by oliviasbooks (last edited Dec 14, 2009 07:23AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 23 comments My personal problem with illustrators by picture books arises, when different illustrators deal with the same (often classic) story. For example: I just started separating the different works illustrating O. Henry's Gift of the Magi (I can re-combine them, i everybody shouts), because it DOES make a difference, wether you have got the one by Lisbeth Zwerger (got the Austrian National Prize for her interpretation of the story and the prize now pops up in editions by other illustrators) or by P.J. Lynch. I have got one of them and definetely want to get at least another. The same goes for the scandinavian fairytale East of the Moon ... If I review a picture book, the pictures are really all important. To "illustrate" my claim: I do not believe that all picture books featuring Noahs Ark are muddled together in one title.

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Olivia, please do NOT undo other librarians' work like that, unless you have asked FIRST.

message 18: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 23 comments Okay, sigh. It's just a cklick to recombine them. I will do it tomorrow. Promise. Thank you for replying that fast.

message 19: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I already fixed it. But please, other librarians worked to do those combines. Sure, people make mistakes with combines all the time. But it's best to confirm that there was an error and what the policy is before making changes.

Not after.

Thanks!

message 20: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 23 comments Okay. Now I know the policy is there intentionally, I will mind it. I really thought there HAD to be an mistake. I am a librarian in real life and I love to find a book indexed to each respective person who is entitled to an entry by the cataloguing rules.

Good, that there are people here like you who keep us from going anarchistic. Thanks for cleaning up!! I just went back and even combined the two you missed. I can also go to Mrs. Zwerger's page and add O. Henry as an author to the lonely edition listed there.

message 21: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Dec 14, 2009 11:44AM) (new)

Sounds good. Thanks!

And I do understand why it is frustrating to have some editions combined. But that is the policy -- and usually, people are more interested in comparing notes with friends on a given book, rather than a given edition.

Abigail's suggestion was a good one.

message 22: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 23 comments It'a good compromise, that's right.

Can you try combining http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/61...
When I go into the list, I cannot find the pair of books that should be above or under the mammoth-bulk of editions. (I am almost through with L. Zwerger's work.)

message 23: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Got it. And yeah, Dickens could use some work (again!)