Comfort Reads discussion

Children's Literature > New-Newish Children's Books - First Read as an Adult

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Today, all in one day, I inhaled When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead.

If you've enjoyed Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, I would guess you'd find it a comfort read too. I sure did! Loved it!

message 2: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi Lisa... I recently read the first 3 of L'Engle's series (Wrinkle, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet)... a lot of fun and very comforting indeed!

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Hayes, A Wrinkle in Time has been one of my favorite books since I was 9, which was in 1962, when it was a brand new book and a standalone book. If you enjoyed it, I would guess you'd have fun with When You Reach Me.

message 4: by Hayes (last edited Apr 06, 2010 12:20AM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Will give it a try, thanks. Wrinkle was one of the few books assigned at school that has remained a favorite.

Recently re-read Harriet the Spy, which was great and Mooched the sequel, which I am looking forward to.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I know I'd like the Harriet book; I saw a movie version that I enjoyed.

message 6: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Hayes wrote: "Will give it a try, thanks. Wrinkle was one of the few books assigned at school that has remained a favorite.

Recently re-read Harriet the Spy, which was great and Mooched the sequel..."

If you liked Harriet the Spy, you would probably also like The Cat Ate My Gymsuit and The Pistachio Prescription by Paula Danziger and any YA novel by Judy Blume.

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Apr 06, 2010 08:46AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I don't know about the Pistachio book (I'm off to look it up) but I agree with your suggestions, Gundula.

ETA: The Pistachio Prescription is on my to-read shelf. Of course. ;-)

message 8: by Manybooks (last edited Apr 06, 2010 08:51AM) (new)

Manybooks Lisa wrote: "Today, all in one day, I inhaled When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead.

If you've enjoyed Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, I would gu..."

I've put When You Reach Me on my to-read shelf; thanks for pointing it out. I think you'll like The Pistachio Prescription.

message 9: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) I didn't read The Secret Garden OR A Little Princess until after my daughter read them. I loved both books and am sorry I missed them as a girl.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Sandi, They're great books. I'm always glad to find great children's books even if I missed them when I was a child. It would be sad to miss either of those over an entire lifetime. It sounds as your daughter was lucky to find them when she was younger. (I also love finding books because of kids I know!)

message 11: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Lisa wrote: "I don't know about the Pistachio book (I'm off to look it up) but I agree with your suggestions, Gundula.

ETA: The Pistachio Prescription is on my to-read shelf. Of course. ;-)"

Never heard of them... will go look too!

The Secret Garden was/is my all time favorite book as a kid. Read it multiple times and loved it every time. Just read it again recently and loved it once more.

message 12: by Dara S. (new)

Dara S. (dara85) I just recently read Lassie Come Home by Rosemary Wells. What beautiful pictures. I remember watching Lassie on TV every Sunday night. My grandmother had a color TV and we did not. What a treat!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

My cat came in every Sunday, just to watch Lassie. (seriously!) I don't remember if she stuck around for Disney. :)

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Dara, I had cousins with a color tv and we did not, so many Sundays we'd go out to dinner with them, then go back to their place to watch Lassie and The Wonderful World of Disney.

message 15: by Tracyene (new)

Tracyene | 11 comments When my son (who's 24 now) was reading Goosebumps and the Animorphs series, I read them along with him. They were a lot of fun, esp. the Animorphs. Made me think about animals in a whole new way. The Invasion

message 16: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawn9655) My absolute favorite of all children's books that I discovered as someone older than a child (I refuse to be a 'grown-up') are the Redwall books by Brian Jacques. They're all just so entertaining and sweet... and the good guys always win (even though there is always some doubt and a little sadness in every offering).

message 17: by Saralyn (new)

Saralyn | 17 comments I just "read" Winnie-the-Pooh for the first time and ADORED it! I was listening to the book (read by Jim Broadbent - Wonderful!) with my nieces and nephews and I think I enjoyed it a lot more than they did, even though they liked it. :)

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Matteson | 24 comments Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is one I never read, until I read it with my son a few years ago. Both movie versions are good, but the book's the best!

message 19: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks This book was simply magical, The Belonging Place.

message 20: by Jane (new)

Jane (flopsybunny) | 114 comments I love reading children's books and help out in the school library. Recently I have loved Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke and Skellig by David Almond.

message 21: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) A Wrinkle in Time has been a favorite of mine since I was 9 or 10.

I have no idea how many times I've read it, but it never fails to either comfort me if I'm sad or just feel comfortable when I want that!

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Ellie wrote: "A Wrinkle in Time has been a favorite of mine since I was 9 or 10.

I have no idea how many times I've read it, but it never fails to either comfort me if I'm sad or just feel comfort..."

Me too, Ellie. Since I was 9. And I know it's over 100 times for me, but I'm not sure how many over 100.

message 23: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) It's an amazing book, isn't it? I had no idea so many other people felt the same way I did. I taught it to a class of boys once & they loved it too.

message 24: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Ellie wrote: "It's an amazing book, isn't it? I had no idea so many other people felt the same way I did. I taught it to a class of boys once & they loved it too."

I like the other books of the time quartet as well, my own personal favourites of the series are A Swiftly Tilting Planet and Many Waters.

message 25: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I enjoyed those as well, although Wrinkle remains my favorite. The climactic scene with Meg and Charles Wallace always hit me very personally, in an odd way.

message 26: by Jane (new)

Jane (flopsybunny) | 114 comments I love these too although I didn't discover them until I was an adult.

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Ellie wrote: "I enjoyed those as well, although Wrinkle remains my favorite. The climactic scene with Meg and Charles Wallace always hit me very personally, in an odd way."

(view spoiler)

I cry every time.

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 1853 comments One of my favorite picture books found as an adult is Piggie Pie! by Margie Palatini. My 2-yr-old granddaughter wants me to read it to her every time she visits (makes me so happy).

Piggie Pie! by Margie Palatini

message 29: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) Saralyn wrote: "I just "read" Winnie-the-Pooh for the first time and ADORED it! I was listening to the book (read by Jim Broadbent - Wonderful!)..."

I need to look for that! The version I bought from Audible.com made Pooh sound disturbingly like a stoner and Piglet giving an obnoxious little snort after every line. I adore Jim Broadbent, though!

When I worked at Barnes and Noble, the children's section was dangerous to me. Among others, I wound up buying George Shrinks and If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, books I'd never seen as a child, because I simply couldn't resist them. (I still want If You Give a Moose a Muffin.) I also bought a few books illustrated by Ruth Sanderson because she went to my art school, and she's amazing.

message 30: by Silver (new)

Silver (mybookshack) | 2 comments I'm really sad that I missed the chance to read children's books when I was younger. I was always a booklover. But since English is not my first language, I just read books in my mother tongue. Now that I see such a large collection of children's books (thanks to GR), I'm determined to read as many of them as possible.

It seems I'll never catch up with all the classic children's lit. I'm enjoying the journey though daunted by it sometimes. I've now resolved to read a new children's book OR re-read one of my old favourites every month.

I just read Matilda for the first time. I liked it very much.

message 31: by Jane (new)

Jane (flopsybunny) | 114 comments I can highly recommend Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins. They are wonderful stories.