Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Recommendations > Non-fantasy YA Love Stories

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Hi guys! Based on some of the discussions, I already know that there are a lot of YA fantasy fans in this group. I just finished reading Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols. I loved it and I'd like to get more recommendations on swoon-worthy YA books that aren't fantasy-related. I already have Simone Elkeles' books in my wish list but I haven't found her books around here.

Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry Trilogy, #1) by Simone Elkeles Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry Trilogy, #2) by Simone Elkeles

Another author in this genre that I really like is Megan McCafferty.

Sloppy Firsts (Jessica Darling, #1) by Megan McCafferty Second Helpings (Jessica Darling, #2) by Megan McCafferty Charmed Thirds (Jessica Darling, #3) by Megan McCafferty Fourth Comings (Jessica Darling, #4) by Megan McCafferty Perfect Fifths (Jessica Darling, #5) by Megan McCafferty

Let me know if you have any suggestions!

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I am reading Sloppy Firsts right now :) I can't think of any non fantasy romance. I tried a Along for the Ride, but couldnt get into it. I did like the love stories in the sisterhood books but they weren't the whole story.

message 3: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Thanks for the recs, Bluemoon! I've read the Georgia Nicolson books when I was younger but I only borrowed them from a friend. And I have Inkheart in my TBR pile. I just have to unearth it and read it sometime.

Heidi, hope you like Jessica Darling! My favorite in that series is Second Helpings. :) Have you read a lot of Sarah Dessen? I've seen her recommended before but I haven't read any of her books.

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Chachic - that was the only Dessen book I tried. I know they are recommended, but it was kind of boring to me.

message 5: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 1275 comments I like Sarah Dessen. Just Listen was good and I liked Lullaby a lot too. Also check out Carolyn Mackler.

message 6: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Heidi, that's what I'm worried about too. But I think I'll give her a try.

Thanks for the recs Jaimie! I'll check out the ones that you mentioned.

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I can't get interested in YA unless it has a supernatural slant to it. I've tried and it just gets boring to me.

message 8: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 41 comments Chachic wrote: "Hi guys! Based on some of the discussions, I already know that there are a lot of YA fantasy fans in this group. I just finished reading Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols. I loved it ..."

Definitely read The Only Alien on the Planet by Kristin D. Randle. Or you could try Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta...

message 9: by Josie (last edited Apr 07, 2010 04:07AM) (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 41 comments Or here are some others that I haven't read but are recommended in The Ultimate Teen Book Guide (which is vair, vair good for finding new books similar to ones you like):
The Serious Kiss by Mary Hogan
I Was A Teenage Worrier by Ros Asquith
Girl, 15, Charming but Insane by Sue Limb (with sequels)
Mates, Dates... series by Cathy Hopkins
Girls in love series by Jacqueline Wilson.
Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen by Dyan Sheldon
The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler
The Year Nick McGowan Came to Stay by Rebecca Sparrow
The Girl Who Invented Romance by Caroline B. Cooney
Feeling Sorry for Celia: A Novel by Jaclyn Moriarty
Two-way Street by Lauren Barnholdt
Peaches by Jodi Lynn Anderson
A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker

message 10: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Thanks for the comprehensive list, Josie! :) Speaking of Melina Marchetta, I'm in the middle of Jellicoe Road right now and I'm enjoying it so far.

message 11: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Melodie wrote: "I can't get interested in YA unless it has a supernatural slant to it. I've tried and it just gets boring to me."

I think that was my problem with the Dessen book.

message 12: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) *shakes head* I don't think the lack of fantasy is the problem with Dessen's books.

message 13: by Heidi (new)

Heidi That and they were formulaic Peep.