Lord of The Rings discussion

Legolas greenleaf and Gimli

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma | 4 comments OK so hear, Legolas Greenleaf is my FAVORITE character! i also really like gimli!

message 2: by Lissy (new)

Lissy Love Eowyn, she is most definitely my favorite character!! But Legolas is a very close second! Gimli and Aragorn are amongst my favorites too! ;D

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma | 4 comments Ya i love Eowyn too, she is a great example of women kind!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 11 comments Emma wrote: "Ya i love Eowyn too, she is a great example of women kind!"

She really is! Personally I like how she can fight be awesome and be in love all at te same time!

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma | 4 comments ya! Also I like Arwen but I prefer Eowyn.

message 6: by Emma (last edited Apr 07, 2010 02:50PM) (new)

Emma | 4 comments "I fear neither death nor pain." (Eowyn to Aragorn)
"Than what do you fear?" (Aragorn)
"A cage." (Eowyn)
I love this! there really is nothing to fear but fear itself!

message 7: by Lissy (new)

Lissy Arwen used to be my favorite, but when I read the book I began to realize that she just kind of stood there and looked pretty. Don't get me wrong, I still like her, but Eowyn does all the work.

message 8: by Terence (new)

Terence (spocksbro) One of Jackson's better editorial changes in the movie was to expand Arwen's role (replacing Glorfindel from the book), whatever one may think of Liv Tyler's capabilities as an actress.

Tolkien's few female characters tend to read like cross-dressing males (Galadriel's father-name is actually Nerwen - "man-maiden" - and Eowyn wants to be a man so she can fight), which tends to limit their appeal and complexity.

His best female character, IMO, has to be Luthien Tinuviel (of whom Arwen is a pale shadow). She's a strong capable woman who leads and saves the quest for the Silmaril, and does it without ever using a sword (read the tale in The Silmarillion). I think part of the "secret" to her depth is that she's based on Tolkien's own love interest - his wife, Edith.

message 9: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 56 comments I really liked Liv because she's Steven Tyler's kid. Made me laugh. But she did good.
Eoywen FTW.

message 10: by Katniss (new)

Katniss (katniss1986) | 5 comments Terence wrote: "One of Jackson's better editorial changes in the movie was to expand Arwen's role (replacing Glorfindel from the book)"

I totally agree!

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 22 comments Terence wrote: "One of Jackson's better editorial changes in the movie was to expand Arwen's role (replacing Glorfindel from the book), whatever one may think of Liv Tyler's capabilities as an actress.

Tolkien'..."

Agreed, Terence. You know of course that on their gravestones, he's Beren and Edith is Luthien. Awwww. :-)

message 12: by Lissy (new)

Lissy I most definitely agree with the fact that the better editorial changes was to expand Arwen's role. I do understand that Arwen has a different strength than the other characters and that Tolkien based it on his wife. I look back at what I wrote and I realize that it sounds wrong. What I mean is that both characters face the central problem differently. Arwen confronts it from the sidelines while facing other difficulties as well, and Eowyn faces the difficulty straight out as well as her other problems, just like Arwen. I didn't realize this till I really thought it out, but the characters are kind of similar. They both face similar difficulties but they just solve it in a different manner.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 22 comments Elisabeth wrote: "I most definitely agree with the fact that the better editorial changes was to expand Arwen's role. I do understand that Arwen has a different strength than the other characters and that Tolkien ba..."

Their motivation is different. One seeks life and one, death. Eowyn seeks renown through a valiant deed in battle, believing that she will not live to see it. Arwen only seeks to be with the one she loves. Both are willing to forsake essentially the same thing for their goals--their lives. While Eowyn ends up winning renown while keeping her life, Arwen gains a life with the man she loves but looses her immortality in the process.

message 14: by Ebster (new)

Ebster Davis | 3 comments I really feel a connection to Eowyn because of her (and to some extent Farimir's) character arc. She starts out wanting glory, hating her feminine nature because the world uses it as a something to hold her back. She seems to say "Hey! I'm talented! I can do stuff, I can contribute!!" It's something a lot of women can relate to. I think it's amazing that a guy like Tolkien could have picked up on that.

She falls in 'Like' with Aragon because she values his "masculine" charactersitics, but she comes to LOVE Farimir because of his kind, commpassionate "feminine" charactersitics.

With Eowyn's character, it is as if Tolkien wants to show us that it is vital to have both compassion (seen as a feminine characteristic) and courage (seen as a masculine characteristic).

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 11 comments My favorite character thought is Farmier and Eowyn get him the luck lady!:D

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 11 comments I Like Gimli and Legolas's friendship and loyalty to each other.
If you read the hobbit you see how very angry the dwarves and elves are at each other and both think they are right.
They over came that and became best friends...I really love that line from the movie. "I never thought I'd die fighting side by side with an elf." Gimli "How about side by side with a friend?"-Legolas
"Aye, I could do that." Gimili.
I could have cried and kissed Gimili:)

message 17: by Connor (new)

Connor (connork) Keamy May wrote: "I Like Gimli and Legolas's friendship and loyalty to each other.
If you read the hobbit you see how very angry the dwarves and elves are at each other and both think they are right.
They over cam..."

I think the same way about them except for the kissing! that'd be gross lol.

message 18: by Christina (new)

Christina | 16 comments Keamy May wrote: "I Like Gimli and Legolas's friendship and loyalty to each other.
They over cam..."

I really liked that dialogue too! Great movie!

message 19: by Christina (new)

Christina | 16 comments Emma wrote: ""I fear neither death nor pain." (Eowyn to Aragorn)
"Than what do you fear?" (Aragorn)
"A cage." (Eowyn)
I love this! there really is nothing to fear but fear itself!"

This was definitely a memorable quote as well! Thanks for posting!

message 20: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (elizabethfortescue) | 3 comments Connor wrote: "Keamy May wrote: "I Like Gimli and Legolas's friendship and loyalty to each other.
If you read the hobbit you see how very angry the dwarves and elves are at each other and both think they are righ..."

hahahahaha, AGREED, CONNER! LOL I love their relationship, and I wish they could have done more with it in the movie. It's stronger in the book, but then again.... you can't have everything... so they did a good job with what they did add in the movie.

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the relationship between Legolas and Aragorn. It's another thing not so stressed in the movie, but what they did do was great. I love that. I think I'm gonna go find a discussion about that! :D