Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Name The Musician by the Picture

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i got 16/20 and feel like a loser for missing 2 of the 4 that i did. the other 2 were understandable

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I got them all but that hippy with the guitar in the top row.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I'm ashamed to admit I only got ten. I would've gotten 12 but I could not come up with the correct spelling of "Alanis Morissette", or Robert Johnson's last name--I knew it was Robert-Something. Never would've guessed that Emo dude and/or chick in the top row.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I got 11 because I didn't know how to spell Morissette either. There were four I would never have guessed.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I just wasted half an hour taking other quizzes on Sporcle. Curse you, El Liso Grande!

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i missed lemmy, neil pert, angus (kept typing bon scott) and janis joplin (couldn't get joan baez out of my head even though i knew it wasn't her)

message 8: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Fun! I love these. I can get lost in them and do no work at all. BAD.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments 20/20 4:21 remaining. I wrote Gregg Allman first and then realized I had the wrong one but it lets you erase.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Lemmy and Neil Peart :)

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments can't believe i missed those two

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I got 17/20, missing Neil Peart (who IS he?), Duane Allman, and Robert Johnson. I had to google Billy Joe's full name, too, although I knew who he was.
Is that cheating?

message 13: by Sarah (last edited Apr 05, 2010 11:33AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments He mostly goes by Billy Joe, doesn't he?

Neil Peart is the drummer for Rush, famous for his 9000 piece drum kit.

Normal 5 piece:

Neil Peart:

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I had NO IDEA about Neil Peart. Does he really need that many cymbals? That's just showing off, I think.

I like that he has a marimba, although I wonder which Rush song features marimba playing...

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments neil pert is a god to drummers

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Nobody NEEDS that many cymbals, Jackie.

Two of the funniest scenes in Freaks & Geeks play off Jason Segel's character's reverence for Neil Peart.

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments peter criss used to have an extraneous amount of drums also. complete with the hydraulic platform that would levitate him over the crowd. that was the days of stadium rock and 13 min drum solos

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments And John Bonham had an enormous gong that he would ring with his mighty forearm.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I still want to know where the marimba comes in. :)

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Maybe a Rush fan could clue us in. I'll ask my drummer.

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments he mostly uses that to make ringtones i think

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments ha!

message 23: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Seriously speaking, this is one of the easiest quizzes I've ever taken.

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Ah haha haha! The one I missed... Robert Plant. I swear I thought he was Carole King. :)

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Heh.

message 26: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Really, KD? For shame!

message 27: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments 18/20 I didn't get Robert Johnson and I can never remember Billy Joel's last name.

message 28: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Neil Peart is NOT the best drummer in the world. Only drummers who enjoy listening to drummers perform the musical equivalent of masturbation will make the claim that Neil Peart is the best drummer on Earth.

message 29: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Gus wrote: "Neil Peart is NOT the best drummer in the world. Only drummers who enjoy listening to drummers perform the musical equivalent of masturbation will make the claim that Neil Peart is the best drummer..."

Agreed. More is not necessarily better. Keith Moon accomplished much more than Peart with about half the gear, a bottle of brandy, and the occasional monkey tranquilizer. Moonie had a lot of equipment, but nothing compared to Peart.

message 30: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Kid Rock (who I assume hangs out with Clark and Eminem in Michigan) once said AC/DC's drummer was great because he knew when not to play. That made sense to me.

message 31: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments I don't know how he does it, but Kid Rock - quickly morphing into this millennium's Bob Seger - pops up everywhere around here. I half expect him to throw out the first pitch at the Tigers' home opener on Friday.

And how's this for synchronicity? I've been working for the past four weeks - on loan from my regular job - in Eminem's home town of Warren, MI.

Props to the entire AC/DC rhythm section. Whatever they play, they grab it by the neck and make it swing.

message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments clark - whenever i work in the warren area and see 8-mile i think of eminem. only thing i know about that area

message 33: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Depending on what stretch of 8 Mile Road you're on, you may or may not be taking your life into your hands. In the city of Warren, it's not so bad. Within Detroit city limits, it's a landscape of anonymous strip malls, adult bookstores, convenience marts, chain diners, multiplexes, coffee dispensaries, and roach motels where you can carouse with harlots, hedonists, sybarites, sodomites, debauchees, degenerates, wallowers, and wastrels.

message 34: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i clicked the link, saw elvis, stared a few seconds at the rest, i know you, you and you, and you too, but what's your name and which song goes with that? and decided not to take the quiz.

message 35: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I've seen Rush live a couple of times, and Neil Peart plays the same drum roll and hits that same cymbal EVERY FUCKING TIME. As a recovering ex-drummer, drummers should always adhere to keeping time and improvising where possible. Peart does neither.

On the other hand, yeah, Keith Moon found it impossible to keep time, but he never played the same note twice. Which is why I'd rather listen to Moon sloppily screw up his drum intro on Won't Get Fooled Again than hear Neil Peart bloodlessly perfect his way through Tom Sawyer.

Plus, Peart has no swing in his groove. Whitest. Drummer. Alive. Give me Charlie Watts or ?uestlove...now those are drummers that can swing.

message 36: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments I know, I know... I'm old. But I saw Rush open for Deep Purple with John Rutsey on drums.

I got nothing against Rush, but they lost me along about the time of whatever album spawned "The Spirit of Radio."

message 37: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i took my eldest son to see Blackfoot one time just so he could hear Jakson "Thunderfoot" Spires play drums. My son is a guitar player but we appreciate some power drumming too

message 38: by RandomAnthony (last edited Apr 06, 2010 06:59AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments "Spirit of the Radio" is on Permanent Waves. Permanent Waves was the first real album I bought. I was in fifth grade.

message 39: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments RandomAnthony wrote: ""Spirit of the Radio" is on Permanent Waves. Permanent Waves was the first real album I bought. I was in fifth grade."

Fifth grade? Sweet Jesus...I'm ancient.

message 40: by RandomAnthony (last edited Apr 06, 2010 07:07AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I just checked Wikipedia...the album came out Jan. 1, 1980...so I think I was in fifth. Fifth or sixth. I was ten...so I guess we're both old, sir.

message 41: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments There is trouble in the forest,
And the creatures all have fled,
As the maples scream "Oppression!"
And the oaks just shake their heads

message 42: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "I just checked Wikipedia...the album came out Jan. 1, 1980...so I think I was in fifth. Fifth or sixth. I was ten...so I guess we're both old, sir."

1980, the year I graduated from college.

message 43: by RandomAnthony (last edited Apr 06, 2010 07:34AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Barb's just supporting her fellow Canadian. They tend to stick together, like a gang.

message 44: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Barb wrote: "I was probably potty training in 1980 ... he he he
You guys make me feel young."

Don't sugarcoat it on my account, Barb.

message 45: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I only say what I said about Neil Peart because there are a shit-ton of drummers out there that masturbate themselves to sleep every night with sounds and visions of Neil Peart dancing in their heads. I'll heartily concur Neil Peart is a technically outstanding drummer, but he's also a boring drummer. All his technical preciseness have stripped the soul out of his drumming. Ho-hum.

And, no, I'm ragging on Peart because he's Canadian.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I find that technical precision strips the soul out of a lot of so-called great rock musicians. Jazz and blues musicians seem to be able to marry the two better.

message 47: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I find that technical precision strips the soul out of a lot of so-called great rock musicians. Jazz and blues musicians seem to be able to marry the two better."

It's like when someone says "God, the Ramones suck! They only use three chords!"

You can't explain it to people who don't feel it.

message 48: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments but Blink182 only uses three chords and they suck

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments True. It's not a direct correlation.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Clark wrote: "RandomAnthony wrote: "I just checked Wikipedia...the album came out Jan. 1, 1980...so I think I was in fifth. Fifth or sixth. I was ten...so I guess we're both old, sir."

1980, the year I gr..."

Christ you are old, I didn't graduate until 1981 :-)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.