What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fantasy Short Story / Conquered woman takes vengeance against king by becoming his mistress.

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments I remember reading this really interesting fantasy short story about a king that ruled by conquest, and when he conquered all the land he lusted for, he settled down in one the conquered cities and took a mistress.

The mistress was from one of the nations he conquered, and, as the story progressed, she spoiled him more and more thoroughly. She gave him the best sex ever, and the king began to ignore the queen's bed in favor of spending all his nights with the mistress. She gave him encouragement for his every decision, even his bad ones, and the king began ignoring all of his counselors' good advice. She gave him soothing drinks and pampering whenever he came down with so much as a headache, and the king began to ignore all of his ruling responsibilities in favor of relaxing in the mistress' bower. The king's conquered kingdom eventually felt he was doing such a bad job of ruling that thy took arms to usurp him, and the mistress openly rejoiced at the king's fall. When the king accused her of using witchcraft to engineer this, the mistress laughed and said something to the effect of the only tool she had needed for this was honeyed words. And I think at that point she swept out of the king's life and left him and his kingdom in ruins.

I might have read this in a vengeance-themed anthology, like something along the lines of Vengeance Fantastic or Treachery and Treason, and I'm sure I read it within the past 10 years. All the keywords I can think of are too vague for helpful Googling! Does anyone else remember this story?

(Also crossposted here.)

message 2: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments *bump*

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Sep 18, 2013 06:34PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 39606 comments Mod
M-, are you still looking for this short story?

message 4: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments Yup.

message 5: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments bump

message 6: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments bump

message 7: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments bump

message 8: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments bump

message 9: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments bump

message 10: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments bump

message 11: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments Sounds like the portrayal of the wicked stepmother in Snow White & the Huntsman.

message 12: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments How interesting! That film sadly doesn't seem to be based off any particular variant of the Snow White fairy tale; it's an original retelling. Because that film came out in 2012 and my short-story query was originally posted in 2010, I think we're back to the drawing board.

message 13: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments Sounds like someone cribbed the stepmother story line for Snow White & The Huntsman from the short story you are looking for. There is actually a novelization of the movie, which I read, which is why I know the plot. I haven't seen the movie. And I missed that your original post was from 2010. Good luck!

message 14: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments I actually hadn't considered that my short story could be a variant of Snow White. I'm going to work through the Datlow and Windling fairy tale anthologies and see if anything pings. Thanks!

http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/bo...

message 15: by Sharni (new)

Sharni (sharnibee) | 61 comments Reminds me of one of the plot elements in Tigana. It's not a short story though.

message 16: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments Welp, and that gets added to my TBR list. (Thanks!)

message 17: by Sharni (new)

Sharni (sharnibee) | 61 comments M— wrote: "Welp, and that gets added to my TBR list. (Thanks!)"

:) I read it about 10 years ago - I don't remember everything that happened but parts of it definitely stuck with me.

message 18: by Mrsbooks (new)

Mrsbooks | 252 comments This sounds quite interesting. I hope you find it.

message 19: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments bump

message 20: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments bump

message 21: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments bump

message 22: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments bump

message 23: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments bump

message 24: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39606 comments Mod
M-, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 25: by M— (new)

M— | 379 comments Confirm still looking, thanks.