Perspective Plus discussion

Chit Chat > "Fighting Fat"

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (last edited Apr 05, 2010 08:26AM) (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 1031 comments Mod
This is the title of a new year long series the Cleveland Plain Dealer is doing to examine the reasons WHY we are gaining weight as a population. They are also teaming up with the local PBS station and the local public radio station to have an overall community presence,for feedback,talks, etc. It was remarked by the paper, that the launch of this series is not about HOW we look, but about HEALTH.

We'll see. I for one am going to keep a close eye on this series because, as we all know, the word "FAT" is treated like a 4 letter word. Fat is bad to eat, or bad to be, but o.k. in a pillow or other things we use. What has gotten lost in a lot of food wars, is that some fat is required for survival. Yes, there are plenty that are not, and the food wars are trying to target those, but most people only hear one word, and react to that.

I have heard many of the children I have watched over the years remark on something, using terms they could have only heard from the adults in their lives. I actually had a 5 year old girl ask me if her pants made her butt look fat! I have heard kids as young as 7 wonder about the fat content of what they were eating (not my charges, but some kids in a group they were in) and then eating less of it because they didn't want to gain too much weight. The sad thing was, it was fresh fruit.

I am anxious to find out how this subject will be handled, as tomorrow they are supposed to be talking with 5 people who struggle with weight issues, and how food affects them. I am anxious to see how this subject handled and how they present these people.

As for today's article, it was in regards to how many calories we are consuming today as opposed to 30 years ago. It is a wake up call for a lot of people. They do give modern references on how big a portion of something should be vs. what we actually eat.

So far so good, but we'll see.....

message 2: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

Today's article was from the perspective of 5 larger people who live in the area and how we have to fight prejuidice. It was well done and I have even complimented the reporter on it.

message 3: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (last edited May 11, 2010 11:47AM) (new)

This is the email I a sent the reporter. With 2 small changes (adding of the article title and adding the reporters name) it was published in the Cleveland Plain Dealer on 4/11/10 as a letter to the editor:

Thank you. Thank you so much for the way you handled your article today. I have been a larger person all of my life and have had to suffer the indignities of a world that doesn't care. All you hear is "Quit eating!", "Exercise more!" (how can you when every move hurts?) Fat is treated like a 4 letter word in our society and if you do not fit into the socially accepted mold, you do not exist. I appreciated your gentle handling of the topic and hope that this level of sensitivity continues in the works of your colleagues and their articles.

I truly wish that this article would open the eyes of those who don't see us, but I know that as long as people like me are classified as " a health problem", we will never be seen as the wonderful, productive, good, lovely, generous, attractive ( to some) people we are. The line about not being sexy really hit home with me, as it has taken a long time before I found a wonderful man to share my life with, who thinks I am the most beautiful woman in the world. I have dealt with the "last call syndrome", where at last call, anything looks good.

I have had my fair share of adults insult me or not correct their children, in public mind you. I have had my fair share of "what are you doing here" looks at stores, restaurants, etc.

I am in GoFit! now, and I am trying. I know I will never be 120lbs., but I believe you can be a larger sized person and still be healthy. I am a work in progress, we all are. Thank you for giving those of us who normally don't have a voice, a good solid one.

I for one, am proud of myself.

message 4: by A. (new)

A. | 19 comments we are gaining weight due to an increased sedintary lifestyle and the addition of sugar(In all it's splendid forms...High fructose corn syrup is the worst)into all of our food. Why is there sugar in my peanut butter?

message 5: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

I agree. High fructose corn syrup is supposedly fine in moderation, but how to you get moderation when it's in EVERYTHING?!

message 6: by A. (new)

A. | 19 comments Sugar is fine in moderation...so is everything else...booze, sex, botox.

Kind of what came first...the sugar or the corn syrup?

And now the evil migraine causing artificial sweetner, Aspartame, is creeping into everything...even stuff WITH SUGARS!!!! What the...?!?!

message 7: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

According to today's paper, the ongoing "bombardment" of children by bad food makers,is making it nearly impossible to help their children eat well.

What in the *bleep*? Advertiser's say that it is up to parents to control media and food consumption. Well, duh! I do not understand if you are a parent, how you do not control what your kids eat. You have to take them to the restaurant/buy them the cereal/fruit snacks/etc. You need to teach your children how to read labels and such.

There is no proof that the advertising is "linked to the obesity epidemic" but they are sure it is not helping. As far back as 1968, they have been trying to limit children's exposure to advertisements for toys, cereal, etc. In 1980, the FTC was stripped of it's power to control advertising due to pressure from toy/food makers. Now, some new committee is trying to limit advertising again.

Instead of worrying about this stuff, how about being a parent and saying "NO" and sticking with it? I heard on CNN yesterday that we consume 37.7 lbs. of high fructose corn syrup per person per year. Excuse me, CORN SUGAR. Yes, the new marketing ploy to take some of the badness out of the original name. It's still sugar. Yes, your body can't tell the difference between sugar and the syrup. That's the point!

That is the point of all of this. Take control of your food. Tell your kids "no" and watch labels. If enough of us stop buying things with corn syrup in it, they will stop using it.

message 8: by A. (new)

A. | 19 comments and now I an seeing products with high MALTOSE corn syrup!

message 9: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

Is still say that it is a government plot to keep us from start a revolt. Fill us full of sugar and fat, we gain weight and we get lazy. If we're healthy, we are more alert and aware.....think about it.

message 10: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

According to the September issue of "Reader's Digest" we have had 2 new medical breakthroughs! One,is a test that can determine if your genes will support your weight loss from gastric bypass surgery and the other is that obesity is now listed as a disease,not a matter of will power,so now insurance companies (or the government (!) will now pay for (insist upon?) bypass surgery, prescription weight loss drugs (which only work for a while) and will encourage doctors to talk to their patients and get them the help they need to lose weight.

On FOX news yesterday,2,not 1 but 2! studies were released saying that the very controversial chemical B.P.A. is what is causing obesity in children!

Pu-leeze!

Big pharma and the AMA have no flipping clue as to what causes some people to gain weight and others not. What is boils down to is a massive blame game that feeds into the society of victims that we have created in this country. High prices? Blame China, the Mid-East or Pluto's downgrade for high gas prices. High insurance premiums? Blame NO-Bama care, fat people,or little purple people from Mugwhump. It is never "we're greedy Sons of Biscuits and we love money" or "We forced (bribed) the F.D.A. to approve this drug/chemical/additive that made your hair/teeth/eyes fall out".

No, it's this intern lost a paper,oomputer glitch, all the side effects were not revealed by all the doctors,the product wasn't used correctly,etc. There is always an excuse to pass along, so removal of blame that should be there. B.P.A. is a scapegoat for a made up epidemic. If the chemical is not helping, it is not the only thing to blame. The contents of those sippy cups, the contents of the fast food bags and the candy bribes are more to blame than a chemical alone.

As for classifying obesity as a disease, well some good may come out of it, in at least the idea that we are not fat by choice, meaning lack of will power, but it will lead to more and more big pharma inventions that will only work for a while (why cure the disease when there is more money to be made with trial and error?) and force us to try something else?

Yo-yo dieting is worse for you health wise than being fat. If I stop swimming,I will gain back any weight I have lost because I will not be utilizing my caloric intake. I accept that I will need to maintain a certain amount of exercise to maintain my health, not my weight. That is the trick. Being healthy does not need to mean thin,just eating better will do that.

I do not see these as breakthroughs, but as tools to "keep us in line" so as to speak. Fearmongering is what has gotten us here and I shudder to think what is going to happen when the government decides what is best for us with our healthcare.

I for one refuse to be Borg.

message 11: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

I found this in today's Plain Dealer. This is the entire article. I would like to hear your thoughts.

" Program takes aim at childhood obesity

bzeltner@plaind.com

MetroHealth Medical Center and Dayton-based health insurer CareSource are launching a twoyear pilot project to help treat and prevent childhood obesity in Northeast Ohio. The program, which is expected to enroll 600 children, will include fitness, nutrition, cooking and gardening classes, as well as medical and behavioral treatment.

Overweight or obese children from the age of 5 to 18 will participate, said Dr. Reema Gulati, pediatric gastroenterologist and medical director of MetroHealth's Pediatric and Adolescent Obesity Medical Care and Wellness Program. The program's classes will also be open to siblings and family members who may be at risk of obesity or who would like to learn about healthy lifestyle tips.

''This is going to be a very family- oriented program,'' said Gulati.

Childhood obesity has more than doubled in children and tripled in adolescents over the past three decades, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 2010, more than one-third of U.S. children and adolescents were overweight or obese.

Many of the classes offered in the program are already in place, Gulati said, but a new addition will be behavioral therapy, including motivational classes and counseling from pediatric psychologists.

''They'll be working with these kids either in small groups or in large settings, including with their families, to determine readiness for change and other techniques to instill these healthy behaviors in them more strongly,'' she said.

Children who enroll in the program are currently insured with CareSource and receiving care at MetroHealth's Aamoth Family Pediatric Wellness Center on the health system's main campus. Classes and treatment will be covered by participants' insurance.

Their progress and health will be tracked over the two-year pilot period to see if participation helps reduce some of the conditions that are related to obesity, including diabetes, fatty liver (a reversible buildup of fat in the liver that can cause liver disease), and high blood pressure.

The idea is to head off some of these conditions early to help reduce both the physical and financial costs of treating them later."

message 12: by Narzain (new)

Narzain | 194 comments My first thought was "way to make these kids feel bad about themselves by saying 'you're fat, so you have to take this special class.'" While I don't have a problem with educating kids about healthy lifestyle choices (portion control, be active, etc), I disagree with singling out the kids that someone decides are 'overweight.'

Perhaps a better solution would be to generally educate all the kids on these things. And by 'educate,' I mean just that: present the information in a style and amount appropriate to the age; NOT beating them over the head with it until they go eat a whole box of Oreos out of spite.

And again, they're focusing on 'fighting fat' instead of 'encouraging health.' This country seriously needs to refocus. With improved healthy lifestyles, weight issues will normalize themselves, and wherever they stabilize, THAT's the average weight, not some insurance company's made up number.

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul (merman1967) | 228 comments SOME of it sounds ok. Offering classes is great, allowing/offering family participation is great. BUT... and this is a BIG but... this sounds as if they are treating an addict or mentally ill person. I have a lot more to say, but it would violate our civility rules.

message 14: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Martin | 45 comments I agree with both Narzain and Paul. It wouldn't bother me if this program was applied across the board. I'm also interested to see what the two-year study shows.

I'd also add that a huge problem with childhood "obesity" (I'd prefer to just refer to illnesses and ill-health in general) can be traced to school lunches. Even at the small continuation high school where I work, where no more than a dozen students eat lunch (the others leave instead), the school serves really unhealthy food. Fried stuff, meat cooked in grease, etc. I'd really love it if all the efforts this program and others represent would instead go towards changing school lunches from K through 12th grade.

message 15: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

I think that all of you are right. I didn't want to say anything right away and see what insights all of you had. I think that our kids are getting bigger at younger ages due to so many factors, like parents who don't cook meals,having a screen of some sort in front of their face at all times, cut backs on recess and gym, unhealthy school meals,food additives, added hormones and other factors that add up to the consequences we are seeing.

On the other hand, how much of this is a distraction from what the government doesn't want us paying attention too? How much of this is truly a problem, and how much of it is a PERCEIVED problem?

message 16: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

I am not sure what to make of either of these that I found on yahoo! today.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living...

http://news.yahoo.com/study-kids-39-o...

message 17: by Narzain (new)

Narzain | 194 comments I have mixed feelings about the first one. While I firmly believe that we are not a disease, I can see both sides of the argument. There needs to be a perception shift away from "fat = lazy and lacking willpower," but I don't think "disease" is the way to go. In the long run, I think calling obesity a disease is more harmful than helpful.

The second story makes my eyes twitch. So, children with higher birth weight tend toward obesity later on? I beg to differ; I was premature and quite small at birth, and have made up for it since. On a scarier note, we're getting closer and closer to genetic tweaking in the womb. Have an obese embryo? No problem! We can take care of that, so your child is born a Barbie doll. George Orwell and Aldous Huxley were optimists...

message 18: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

Designer children.....

message 19: by Narzain (new)

Narzain | 194 comments We're headed that way...

message 20: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

Scary thought but true.

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul (merman1967) | 228 comments Twilight of the Golds addresses a similar concept, but with testing the fetus for homosexuality. It is a dark, slippery slope we as a culture are approaching.

message 22: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

So slippery, so dark, so possible....

message 23: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

O.K., I may be repeating myself here as I may have talked about this in another thread but I can't find it if I have. So, there is a new and wonderful drug approved by the FDA for weight loss. Yippee. In the commercial, the not so fine print states that it is not known if this drug is safe or effective, will prevent stroke, or later on, states that they are not sure how exactly it keeps you from over eating.

So, it's o.k. if this kills me because there will be one less fat person in the world?

message 24: by Paul (new)

Paul (merman1967) | 228 comments Pardon me while I do cartwheels. Not. People are SO asinine when it comes to the "scourge of obesity". I might be 450 pounds, but I am in better health than a LOT of thin people I know. My 2... yes that;s right, the fatso only has 2... health concerns are gout and a messed up leg from popping a disk in my back changing a tire. Choke in that, crusaders.

message 25: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

Amen. I am 348lbs. and in better health than most people I know. I just cannot believe that the FDA would approve this drug, but drags it's feet on much more needed ones....oh, wait, I can. It's called money.

message 26: by Narzain (new)

Narzain | 194 comments Of course. A drug that causes all kinds of ill side effects that may 'require' MORE drugs to deal with? Get that on the market now! Cold 'medicines' that just prolong the illness instead of curing it? Gold mine. Something that can actually cure serious conditions in just a few doses so the person is healthy and won't need more drugs? Nope, can't approve that one.

Pardon my semi-conspiracy-theorist rant. We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

message 27: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

No,not conspiracy, fact. Research is more profitable now than a cure. Look at history. Polio. Wiped out. Small pox? Gone. If those happened now? Too much money to be had in research.

message 28: by Paul (new)

Paul (merman1967) | 228 comments It is totally pathetic. No excuse for people to be SOOOOOO greedy.

message 29: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

There is always a reason to the person who is greedy to be greedy. Just like the big oil companies who in recent years have seen record profits but poor mouth themselves about the price at the pump...or how hospitals justify charging insurance companies ridiculous prices to settle for less than half (i.e. $200 for a Tylenol), or how you HAVE to have car insurance but as soon as you make a claim, WHAM! your rate goes sky high or you get dropped because now you're a risk, yeah, to their bottom line.