Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > ARCs as editions?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 58 comments I just came across this edition: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/78... and was wondering if there is a policy about entries such as this. Since they don't have ISBNs, or often share ISBNs with the actual edition that comes out later, it seems a bit odd to me to have them here.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Oh, I think they definitely belong here. They're books, members have read them, they're occasionally significantly different from the finished first editions of the books, etc. etc. I'm puzzled though because most I've seen do have ISBNs, and if they do, they should be mentioned in the books' description fields as an alternative edition to those ISBNs. Just my opinion.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44590 comments Mod
It is specifically GR policy to list them separately for bookswap, and it's fine to list them for any other reason too.

message 4: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 58 comments Fair enough! Thanks for the quick responses, I was unable to find that help topic myself. :)

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Lisa wrote: "most I've seen do have ISBNs"

It varies. Some do; many more have a list of various ISBNs that the to-be-released editions will have, without assigning one to the ARC.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Oh, yes, that makes perfect sense for book swap. Members would want to know.

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 16 comments I have an arc I want to post for swap. How do I do it?

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 16 comments Ok.. I made a new posting for the book. but how do I combine editions without librarian status? Nobody is going to get wishlist notification if the ARC I created doesn't go on their wishlist.. ugh.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Tara, A librarian can do it for you. What's the book/author?

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

This one, I'm guessing. I combined it.

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 16 comments Oh thank you!! How do I go about doing this in the future tho? I get a lot of arcs and love to give them away but the shipping is wearing on me. Do I ask a librarian friend of mine to combine the editions or do I apply for librarian status?

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Tara, You've got way over 50 books shelved so you're eligible to be a librarian. I suggest you apply. You can still ask for help from other librarians to do the combining, but at least you'd have the option to do it yourself.

message 13: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 16 comments Oh I didn't know I could! LOL I will have to go see how I do that.. I know there was a link somewhere.. I'm afraid I'm not very computer savvy. Just creating a new book took me 40 minutes. LOL

You ladies rock! Thanks for combining that for me.

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Any time. :)

message 15: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 1 comments I have listed for swap "The Monkey Bible" but am unable to list it as an ARC edition. the ISBN # is: 978-0-9638108-0-9. the paperback book measures 6 1/8 x 9 1/4 and is 304 pages. It says "uncorrected proof*Not For Resale" on the cover. It came to me as a goodreads swap, and was just listed as a hardback (the swapper emailed to let me know that is was an ARC). I would like to list it correctly, but am unable to accomplish that. Help me please ms. librarian! thank you, Cynthia

message 17: by Velma (new)

Velma (velmalikevelvet) | 61 comments rivka wrote: "It varies. Some do; many more have a list of various ISBNs that the to-be-released editions will have, without assigning one to the ARC."

All the ARCs I've got have ISBNs, and I've been meaning to ask: if I add an ARC edition of a book, combine it, and do a GR search on the ISBN, won't the actual record that is returned still be the *non*-ARC edition?

message 18: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Yes.

message 19: by Velma (last edited Nov 09, 2010 12:31PM) (new)

Velma (velmalikevelvet) | 61 comments rivka wrote: "Yes."

Will a search for ARC work then? My point is that I'm holding a physical book in my hands, with an ISBN on it that if I search for it returns an erroneous record, which seems to me a bad thing.

message 20: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It's not a great thing, but it's not something that we have any way to fix at this time.

message 21: by Velma (new)

Velma (velmalikevelvet) | 61 comments rivka wrote: "It's not a great thing, but it's not something that we have any way to fix at this time."

I didn't mean to be whiny; I just let my hackles get ruffled to the up position when entering an ISBN doesn't return the hoped-for record. 'Tis a small thing!

Thanks, rivka.

message 22: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Anytime. :)

I agree with you that it's not ideal. But with the current database setup, there's really no way around it.