The Complete Idiots Guide to the Ultimate Reading List discussion

Chapter 1: Historical Fiction > Memoirs of a Geisha

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tera (TheBookishAbyss) | 91 comments Memoirs of a Geisha was a phenomenal book. One I couldn't put down and a real eye-opening story into the turbulent life of a geisha.

message 2: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
This is one of my favorite books. SO much so that when my dog chewd on the cover i didnt through it out until I got a new copy 3 years later. I was amazed how mucg Geisha's actually did. They were compainion and entertainment and so many things

message 3: by Tera (new)

Tera I really loved this book too. The movie was lacking in so many ways. Please read the book if you even remotely liked the movie because you will be delighted at how much better the story truly is.

message 4: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 103 comments I didn't even bother with the movie because I heard it was such a disappointment. I was really surprised by how much I liked the book-fabulous!

Tera (TheBookishAbyss) | 91 comments I never did watch the movie either. Afraid of having my own images of the novel ruined.

message 6: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
I liked the movie. Visual is was amazing even if the story line did not match up

message 7: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I read this a couple of years ago and thought it was really good and I watched the movie a couple of months back and surprisingly I actually enjoyed it, it had been so long since I'd read the book that I didn't remember much of the storyline so I just sat back, relaxed and enjoyed.

message 8: by Claire (new)

Claire Greene | 12 comments I also really liked the book - I loved the details and story lines. It really drew you in and captivated you. So many fascinating things to learn from general information about Japan, specifics about what Geishas really did, how the Geishas were treated and what they really did (ie they were NOT prostitutes), and the complexity of relationships, etc. At the same time it was very universal and human - I never felt while reading it like, what the hell are these people thinking or doing?? I really felt like I could relate in some ways or empathize in others. And actually, I enjoyed the movie too. It wasn't as good as the book, but are they ever?? Although it HAD been while since I read the book when I saw the movie, so I may not have noticed as many of the details that were different.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) I LOVED this book, but must admit that I somehow missed until the very end that it wasn't a true story - so I was really disappointed when I figured it out. :) Also, I was surprised that it was written by a man, because the voice of the characters was so believable. A good story for sure. I have the movie on my NetFlix queue, but keep pushing it down because of comments like the ones above that it's just not that worth it. Too bad, because I feel like it had real cinematic potential. Maybe they'll pull an Incredible Hulk and remake it someday... I wish Hollywood would realize that most of the time, the story from the actual book is dramatic enough and they don't have to change it for the big screen.

message 10: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
i thought it was a true story

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) Sadly, no. I have this strange obsession with author's notes, especially for books I really love - I guess I don't want them to end or something. :) This one made clear it wasn't a true story, but, like you, I was really surprised!

message 12: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
was it based on someones life.

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) No, it's totally fictional, but based on research and such about what someone's life would have been.

message 14: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
wow that is interesting

message 15: by Lynai (new)

Lynai had just watched the movie only recently...i might as well look into the book and see if i will love it just like how i loved the movie.

message 16: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
I bet you do

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) I watched the movie first, then picked up the book after loving the movie so much. I was a much bigger fan of the book. It is amazing the stuff that Geishas did.

message 18: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) I loved this book too! But although I tried to watch the movie 3 different times, I just could not get into it...

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate The Geisha that he interviewed for the book ended up writing her own memoir if anyone is interested. Her life is not anywhere near as dramatic as the life of the characters in Memoirs of a Geisha of course, but interesting nonetheless.
The book is called Geisha: A life or also known as Geisha of Gion by Mineko Iwasaki http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52...

message 20: by Sheida (new)

Sheida (shayduhs) | 2 comments I watched the movie a couple of years ago and only just got round to reading the book, finished it yesterday, such a beautiful book, extremely touching :)

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mrspickett) I read this book a few years ago and I thought it was fabulous. It is one of my favorites.

message 22: by Marti (new)

Marti (marjay) I read this book a few years ago also. I didnt realize until someone else pointed it out to me that a man wrote it. I still find that surprising. It felt like a woman wrote it.....