Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Goodreads and Facebook

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (KathrynH) I've got goodreads linked to by facebook page, but it doesn't update, so it's a couple of books behind when you view it directly on my facebook page...when you click on goodreads obviously it takes me to my home on goodreads and everything looks good. Is there some box I should have or shouldn't have checked when bringing goodreads to my facebook page?

message 2: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 54 comments All my GR posts have disappeared from Facebook. Retroactively. And it won't update. I get "An Error occurred. Please try again later."

Weird. Is there a setting that got changed?

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) Our facebook integration has been disabled by facebook. We're working to bring it back. Sorry about this.

message 4: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 54 comments Okay, thanks for letting us know.

message 5: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (cinereum) | 26 comments Yes, thanks Michael for reassuring us that this problem is being worked on. Any idea how long it will take?

message 6: by Craig (new)

Craig a.k.a Meatstack (meatstack) | 1 comments Wow. I'm thankful I found this. I was going NUTS trying to figure out where all my goodreads stories went on Facebook.

message 7: by Ludovic (new)

Ludovic (LudoMC) | 6 comments Same here. I was struggling trying to find what was going on. Will previous post re-appear in Facebook when problem will be fixed or will they be lost forever?

message 8: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (cinereum) | 26 comments That was one of my concerns too, Ludovic.

message 9: by Ludovic (new)

Ludovic (LudoMC) | 6 comments I suppose they are gone, as well as all the comments attached to them :-/ Hope we'll get a good news about that soon!

message 10: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Hennig (littleswedishfish) | 1 comments wish there's a like button here like facebook, lol! i just discovered this morning that it wasn't working so i did some looking around and found out that it has stopped working. :( i hope it will work again very soon! because i like to share with my friends what i am reading.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) As of now a lot of facebook stuff should be working again. We had to create a new facebook app, with new id and keys, this means everyone will have to regrant us permissions, and reconnect their goodreads and facebook accounts.

We're terribly sorry for the inconvience!

message 12: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 54 comments It's working again for me. Thank you very much!

message 13: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 24, 2011 12:43PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 15915 comments I still get a permissions error. I have unchecked, rechecked Facebook on my GR profile and I have gone into privacy settings at Facebook to ensure Goodreads has permission. What else should I do?

ETA: OK, I signed out and signed back in again, and then again allowed permission. Had to do everything twice, but it now posts. :-)

message 14: by Sean (new)

Sean Stickland (st1cky) | 1 comments Thank you for fixing the problem. Did Facebook give any indication why integration was stopped in the first place?

Also, once reconnected will older reads be re-inserted into the Facebook feed, and more particularly will comments on those reads be visible? It doesn't seem like the case and would be rather sad if all that information was lost.

message 15: by Ludovic (new)

Ludovic (LudoMC) | 6 comments Hmmm, not possible to install the app. Link sends me back to the facebook home page or a 404. Soes someone have a link to the app installation page?

message 16: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (cinereum) | 26 comments I can't seem to install the app either. I can only 'like' Goodreads on Facebook. It says under my GR apps tab that I am connected and I have checked all of the boxes so that my posts feed my Facebook wall, but nothing is coming through. I thought it was all fixed, but seems not. :(

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) I seems they have disabled our app once again.

message 18: by Evan (new)

Evan Wondrasek (evan_w) | 1 comments It looks like this has been a major problem with many developers in the last 24 hours.

Posts from Facebook Dev board: http://forum.developers.facebook.net/...

Huge discussion at Hacker News: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2...

message 19: by Ludovic (last edited Jun 24, 2011 02:15PM) (new)

Ludovic (LudoMC) | 6 comments Yep, it seems they have an issue...
2001 Space Odyssey? Is HAL 9000 somewhere around?

"NOTE: The ban-bot appears to be out of control. Apps are being banned with no warning and no email. The forum moderators are trying to get someone from Facebook to investigate."

Facebook may (perhaps) be able to rollback the changes when they will control the situation again and have all our previous posts and comments back (I doubt but...)

message 20: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) | 7 comments facebook is pretty creeptastic though. there is a good chance they still have the posts and comments floating around on a server somewhere. when they switched to the new message system, there were messages i had deleted AGES ago that got popped back into my inbox.

message 21: by Ludovic (new)

Ludovic (LudoMC) | 6 comments saint frances wrote: "facebook is pretty creeptastic though. there is a good chance they still have the posts and comments floating around on a server somewhere. when they switched to the new message system, there were ..."

For once, their lack of serious this respect could be useful :)

message 22: by Giselle (new)

Giselle (giselleco) | 40 comments This is from a Facebook engineer regarding this known issue: Note that no content is deleted when an application is disabled. If an application is re-enabled, all the content posted by the application will once again be visible.

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2...

message 23: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4180 comments Mod
We are back! We finally got ahold of a real person at FB and got re-enabled, on the original app. All posts (at least on my profile) have re-appeared.

phew.

message 24: by Giselle (new)

Giselle (giselleco) | 40 comments All posts have reappeared for me too but I can't enable the feeds again on GR to post new ones. I press on enable and get the wait circle forever?

message 25: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12172 comments Mod
Try logging out and back in.

message 26: by Giselle (new)

Giselle (giselleco) | 40 comments I did that about 5 times.

message 27: by Giselle (new)

Giselle (giselleco) | 40 comments Ah. I had to sign in on Firefox and then it enabled. (I use Safari). FYI for others on Safari. :)

message 28: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12172 comments Mod
Good to know.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 15915 comments I logged out here and back in again, then reposted today's review to Facebook, which worked. The previous posting had not shown up.

message 30: by Haberlea (new)

Haberlea | 1 comments It works indeed! Thank you!

message 31: by Ludovic (new)

Ludovic (LudoMC) | 6 comments I confirm it also reappeared on my profile. Thanks!

message 32: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (cinereum) | 26 comments It seems to be working again for me too! Thanks so much for fixing it.

message 33: by Sheldon (new)

Sheldon (sheldonnylander) | 5 comments It's working for me, too, and the old posts from the app have reappeared on my wall. The only thing is that now when I start reading something, it seems to post differently. Where as it used to say as part of the app post "Sheldon is now reading (book title)" followed by the summary with a place to put my own comment at the start, now it post "Is now reading" and then simply the book with the summary and a link to the book page without letting me edit the post myself. Is this new or some kind of bug? The old way seemed much neater. I also notice that going to the app just takes me to the Goodreads website rather than an actual app.

message 34: by Bea (new)

Bea  Charmed (BeasBookNook) | 107 comments I updated my reading status this afternoon on goodreads and it posted on facebook. However, while goodreads accurately showed my status, facebook said I was done with the book. I did the update on my Android smart phone, if that matters.

message 35: by Tish (new)

Tish (tishthawer) | 2 comments For 3 days I have not been able to use the Facebook "Share This Book" link. I have used this feature before, and it worked fine. I didn't change any settings since then, but now the link doesn't work for ANY book I try. Please help!!!!

~ Tish

message 36: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Tish wrote: "For 3 days I have not been able to use the Facebook "Share This Book" link. I have used this feature before, and it worked fine. I didn't change any settings since then, but now the link doesn't wo..."

Hmm it's working for me. Are you getting an error message or does it just not do anything? Do you have any pop-up blockers enabled?

message 37: by Tish (new)

Tish (tishthawer) | 2 comments Kara wrote: "Tish wrote: "For 3 days I have not been able to use the Facebook "Share This Book" link. I have used this feature before, and it worked fine. I didn't change any settings since then, but now the li..."

Hey Kara! Thanks for replying. It seems to have been an issue with Google at the time. I have since then cleared my cache, disconnected Goodreads from Facebook and then reconnected them. That finally did the trick! So all is now good! Thanks again! ~ Tish

message 38: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Tish wrote: "Kara wrote: "Tish wrote: "For 3 days I have not been able to use the Facebook "Share This Book" link. I have used this feature before, and it worked fine. I didn't change any settings since then, b..."

Glad to hear it's working again :)

unread topics | mark unread