Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Archive > Your favorite page 46 (or 10% for you e-reader people)

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2828 comments Mod
Lynne is away on a family vaca, so I thought I would start this thread so people can post their quotes as they read.

Hope you don't mind, sis!

message 2: by Katey (new)

Katey (kateyyy) | 50 comments Quotes from Angels and Demons by Dan Brown Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

"Where is everyone?" he asked. The lack of activity was hardly what he expected considering they were about to enter a murder scene.
"The residents are in their labs," Kohler replied, finding the key.
"I mean the police," Langdon clarified. "Have they left already?"
Kohler paused, his key halfway into the lock. "Police?"
Langdon's eyes met the director's. "Police. You sent me a fax of a homicide. You must have called the police,"
"I most certainly have not."
"What?"
Kohler's grey eyes sharpened. "The situation is complex, Mr Langdon."

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I am reading Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin

"Welcome to Elsewhere." Grandma Betty laughs, pointing matter-of- factly to the large banner that hangs over the pier."
"I don't understand"
"Here, on one gets older, everyone gets younger. But don't worry, they'll explain all of that at your acclimation appointment."

message 4: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley.

If you are not already aware of it, Miss de Luce--and I suspect you are--this is a murder investigation. I shall brook no frivolity. A man is dead and it is my duty to discover the why, the when, the how, and the who. And when I have done that, it is my further duty to explain it to the Crown. That means King George the Sixth, and King George the Sixth is not a frivolous man. Do I make myself clear?

message 5: by Tara (last edited Apr 05, 2010 11:33AM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments Luann wrote: "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley.

If you are not already aware of it, Miss de Luce--and I suspect you are--this is a murder investigation. I s..."

I love that book! Sorry it did not make your favorite list.

message 6: by Susan (last edited Apr 05, 2010 11:24AM) (new)

Susan | 3455 comments Mod
I'm not sure anything on p. 46 really gives a good flavor for Wicked Lovely,

but here's a bit of it:

The femme fatale image was ruined only by the crude staff she held lightly in her hand. "I was just thinking about you, darling."
"I'm sure." The staff wasn't any danger to her -- not now -- but Donia walked away.

message 7: by Susan (last edited Apr 11, 2010 08:59AM) (new)

The Golden Compass (from the trilogy edition)
Lyra barged open the door, dragged her rickety chair to the window, flung wide the casement, and scrambled out. There was a lead-lined stone gutter a foot wide just below the window, and once she was standing in that, she turned and clambered up over the rough tiles until she stood on the topmost ridge of the roof. There she opened her mouth and screamed. Pantalaimon, who always became a bird once on the roof, flew round and round shrieking rook shrieks with her. ...

She turned and looked down into the shadowed quadrangle, where the black-gowned figures of the Scholars were already beginning to drift in ones and twos toward the buttery, their daemons strutting or fluttering alongside or perching calmly on their shoulders. ..

This was her world. She wanted it to stay the same forever and ever, but it was chanaging around her, for someone out there was stealing children.

From the newest Dresden File book Changes by Jim Butcher:

"... another example of how we much meet the future with our eyes--and minds--open to the possibility of change," Cristos said. He had a great speaking voice, a strong, smooth baritone that rolled effortlessly through the enormous chamber. He spoke in Latin, the official language of the Council--which ought to tell you something about their mind-set. "Humanity is already beginning to move away from the cycle of unthinking violence and war, learning to coexist with its neighbors in peace, working together to find a solution to their mutual problems, rather than allowing them to devolve into bloodshed." He smiled benevolently, a tall, spare man with a mane of flowing gray hair, a dark beard, and piercing dark eyes. He wore his formal robes open, the better to display the designer suit beneath it.

From The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (the Penguin Unabridged translation):

While this conversation was taking place, Dantes had in effect been shaking the hands of all of his friends, with a smile to each, and relinquishing himself into captivity, saying: "Stay calm. The mistake will doubtless be explained and it is quite probable that I shall not even go so far as the prison."

Boy was he wrong!!

message 10: by Susan (new)

from To Kill a Mockingbird

[Dill:] had asked me earlier in the summer to marry him, then he promptly forgot about it. He staked me out, marked as his property, said I was the only girl he would ever love, then he neglected me. I beat him up twice but it did no good, he only grew closer to Jem. They spent days together in the treehouse plotthing and planning, calling me only when they needed a third party. But I kept aloof from their more foolhardy schemes for a while, and on pain of being called a g-irl, I spent most of the remaining twilights that summer sitting with Miss Maudie Atkinson on her front porch.

From Robert Frost's Poems:

I dwell in a lonely house I know
That vanished many a summer ago,
And left no trace but the cellar walls,
And a cellar in which the daylight falls,
And the purple-stemmed wild raspberries grow.

Another from page 112 that I particularly liked:

The sun was warm but the wind was chill.
You know how it is with an April day
When the sun is out and the wind is still
You're one month on in the middle of May.
But if you so much as dare to speak,
A cloud comes over the sunlit arch,
A wind comes off a frozen peak,
And you're two months back in the middle of March.

I think this one reminds me a lot of our weather right now!

message 12: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Apr 29, 2010 05:07PM) (new)

From Secrets of Eden: A Novel by Chris Bohjalian:

This is actually the opening paragraph, but I think it is one of the best

"As a minister I rearely found the entirety of a Sunday service depressing. B ut some mornings disease and despair seemed to permeate the congregation like floodwaters in lsandbags, and the only people who stood during the moment when we shared our joys and concerns were those souls who were intimately acquainted with nursing homes, ICUs, and the nearby hospice. Concerns invariable outnumbered joys, but there were some Sundays tht were absolute routs, and it would seem that the only people rising up in their pews to speak needed Prozac considerably more than they needed prayer. Or yes, than they needed me."

message 13: by Susan (new)

Lyn M wrote: "From Secrets of Eden: A Novel by Chris Bohjalian:

This is actually the opening paragraph, but I think it is one of the best

I've never even heard of this author before. And when I link to the book, I see lots of people who love and hate it (and others of his). Several of the books intrigue me, including this one. Those of you who have more experience than I do with the author, is this the first one I should read, or should I choose a different one? Also, I enjoy mysteries, but don't do well with horror (for example, I usually avoid Stephen King). Will I be ok with these?

Susan, I don't do Stephen King, either, but I love these books. I am halfway through this one and I will probably give it at least 4 stars, if not 5. This is the second book by Chris Bohjalian, that I have read. And I have three more on my TBR. If you like stories with twists and surprises, I would recommend both The Double Bind and Secrets of Eden: A Novel. The others that I have heard are really good are Midwives , Skeletons at the Feast ,and Before You Know Kindness. I am reading Skeletons at the Feast in June with a buddy.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Lyn M wrote: "Susan, I don't do Stephen King, either, but I love these books. I am halfway through this one and I will probably give it at least 4 stars, if not 5. This is the second book by [author:Chris Bohj..."

Thanks, Lyn. I'll definitely try them!

message 16: by Tara (last edited May 06, 2010 03:20PM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments I am a little late, but isn't it better late than never.

Honolulu

"Respectfully, Father, I wish to go to Hawai'i and pursue an education."
"Don't be ridiculous. No respectable girl chooses her own husband! You will no bring dishonor to this clan. This discussion is over."

message 17: by Susan (new)

From A Passage to India by E.M. Forster:

And unlocking a drawer, he took out his wife's photograph. He gazed at it, and tears spouted from his eyes. He thought: 'How unhappy I am!' But becuase he really was unhappy, another emotion soon mingled with his self-pity: he desired to remember his wife and could not. Why could he remember peple whom he did not love? They were always so vivid to him, whereas the more the looked at this photograph, the less he saw. She had eluded him thurs, ever since they had carried her to her tomb.

message 18: by Kayla (new)

Kayla The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Silas paused. "I have no doubt," he said, after a moment's reflection, "that there are, among the many talented individuals interred here, at least a smattering of teachers. I shall make inquiries."
Bod was thrilled. He imagined a future in which he could read everything, in which all stories could be opened and discovered.
When Silas had left the graveyard to go about his own affairs, Bod walked to the willow tree beside the old chapel, and called Caius Pomperius.
The old Roman came out of his grave with a yawn. "Ah. Yes. The living boy..."