Reading the Chunksters discussion

Anna Karenina
This topic is about Anna Karenina
Archived 2010 Group Reads > Anna Karenina 03: Part I - Chapters 13-18

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Chapters 13-18...what did you think?

message 2: by Kristi (last edited Apr 05, 2010 10:19AM) (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) This set of chapters was really great! I loved learning more about Kitty, and Vronsky. Vronsky seems a bit of a Cad, but he also seems not to realize that he is. I loved the interaction between Levin and Kitty…he is so shy and embarrassed, and she doesn’t understand him too well. I also loved the entrance of Anna and the Countess! The description of Anna is wonderful, about how her eyes and smile are and what Vronsky thinks of her. And the Countess seems to really like her too. Really great descriptions in this set of chapters! Can't wait to see what happens next!

Sorry, I feel like I'm not a very sophisticated reader. I get the big points, but often miss the details.

message 3: by LynnB (new) - added it

LynnB I enjoyed understanding more about Anna and the others in this chapter. I agree with Kristi that Vronsky seems to be cad, but I find that I don't like him at all. He is very self-centered. I am feeling so sad for Levin's being turned aside by Kitty.

This book is turning out to be much more readable than I thought it would be.

message 4: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) It is kind of pulling me in too Lynn!

message 5: by Wendy T (new) - added it

Wendy T I'm finding Vronsky creepy.

message 6: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) He seems a bit naieve too...but I find him creepy as well...

message 7: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colleenct1) Sorry I am posting late it has been a crazy couple of weeks.

I agree with Lynn and Kristi that this book is really sucking me in. I like it much more than I thought I would.

Vronsky is a dog! I just know he is going to do bad things to poor Kitty. I can't wait to read what happnes.

People and affairs of the heart have not changed mucnh in the last 100 or so years if at all. LOL

Karol I'm agreeing with everyone's comments. Poor Kitty - in love with a man who would only hurt her. I fear that Vronsky and Oblonsky are cut from the same cloth. Kitty's father at least realizes it. Perhaps he'll put his foot down where Vronsky is concerned.

And yes, I love how the character Anna was introduced. The author's descriptions make both Kitty and Anna rather sublime characters, yet touchingly human.

message 9: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colleenct1) Kay, I like how you put that "sublime...yet touchingly human" I wish I had thought of that!

Karol Colleen wrote: "Kay, I like how you put that "sublime...yet touchingly human" I wish I had thought of that!"

Thanks, Colleen. I feel like my attempt to describe my thoughts and feelings was not quite "IT", but I guess it's the best I can come up with.