Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Book & Series Discussions > Gemma Doyle Trilogy

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (reading_belle) I really loved the Gemma Doyle trilogy! I reread it every summer.

Aspects of it are kinda like Gossip Girl but it's not only about that. The magic elements make it really different and it's darker than Gossip Girl.

I thought it was a beautiful story and I really hope you enjoy it as well.

message 2: by Picture (new)

Picture  Perfect (picturesperfect) AAAAAAAAAAH! I love Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle trilogy. THe last book made me cry. Funny. Sad. Interesting. Everything. I love Libba Bray's sense of humor.

message 3: by Cortney (new)

Cortney | 37 comments I enjoyed the series. It had a great contrast between the corset society of the 1800's and "the realms"- the magic world where she can do anything. I fell in love with Kartik!!!

There were also some aspects that made me want to scream in frustration as the series moved forward. Namely- sometimes it seemed like Gemma hadn't learned anything after being through challenges! But overall I liked it.

message 4: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (reading_belle) Gemma did seem a little thick at times.

message 5: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (reading_belle) Yup Vinna :-3 it's pretty cool

message 6: by Picture (new)

Picture  Perfect (picturesperfect) I fell in love with Karthik too. Wow! Hmm. I thought I was the only one.

message 7: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) I loved The Gemma Doyle trilogy. Great story good writing, and different.....IMO. I can't compare to gossip girl because I know nothing about it.....They are some of my favorite books!!!!!

message 8: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) | 2 comments I've only finished the first one---A Great and Terrible Beauty---but I absolutely loved it! It's my second favorite book ever. :)

Gemma is really stuck up about some things and she holds on to her mother just a little too long. I've still got my mom so I don't know how hard it can be, but I can imagine the pain. I know that she is over it now, and Pippa's death was just really sad, but she (Pippa) thinks she made the choice that would make her happy. ;)

message 9: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (reading_belle) I remember I tore through the third book cause I wanted to see what happened

message 10: by Denise (new)

Denise I finally finished The Sweet Far Thing. It took me months, and I ended up not even being impressed. A lot of the time I feel sad finishing a book (especially series) because I grow attached to the characters. With this one I was just glad it was over!

message 11: by AH (new)

AH I loved the series. I read the three books rather quickly. I agree that at parts it was slow, but I did enjoy the world that Libba Bray created. I also found the story original. I fell in love with Kartik. I think it provided a nice escape for me.

message 12: by Cortney (new)

Cortney | 37 comments AH wrote: "I loved the series. I read the three books rather quickly. I agree that at parts it was slow, but I did enjoy the world that Libba Bray created. I also found the story original. I fell in love wit..."

I read them pretty wuick as well. I knew some people who had read and loved them so I wanted to get through them to know the whole story. For me, I think reading them so quickly fostered my frustration. I usually like books better if I go slowly and let myself get absorbed in the world of it. But Kartik is a dream no matter how fast you read!

message 13: by Miss Bookiverse (new)

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) I wasn't very impressed by the first book at first but when I got into book 2, I got hooked and I had to read part 3 right away. If I reread book 1 now I think I would like it much better. I love all the characters and the world Libba has created.

message 14: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ I love Gemma Doyle! I was disappointed by the ending of the series, but over all it was a great story––I loved the characters, and the idea of the Realms and everything. I liked how it was sort of historical fiction and fantasy at the same time, too. :)

message 15: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Ramirez (gummybearlvr) | 2 comments Oh, what can I say about the Gemma Doyle Trilogy....
HMMMM.....
Well, I have my own copies of all three books...
I'm looking at them right now on my bookshelf..
You know talking about them has made me want to re-read them again for the one hundreth million time ever!!!
I've lost count on how many times I've re-read them, honestly..
There's just something about them....

message 16: by Miss Bookiverse (new)

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) Yah, I really enjoyed the mixture of historical fiction and fantasy, too, Bridgid, I'd never have thought I'd actually enjoy books set in such a century!

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate (katetj) I thought they were amazing, I loved them and also fell in love with Kartik. Although i found that in the second and third it dragged on a little bit before it got into the goodstuff, or maybe it just seemed that way to me because i was dying to find out what happened at the end.
Make sure you have a box of tissues handy for the end of the third... i cried buckets! and am still not sure if i liked the ending or not, in a way i did but i didnt.

message 18: by Miss Bookiverse (new)

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) I know what you mean, I guess I'm torn about the ending as well. In a way I wouldn't want it to be any different and on the other end it was just so sad and unexpected.

message 19: by Cortney (new)

Cortney | 37 comments Jayme wrote: "I remember I tore through the third book cause I wanted to see what happened"

I did too! I couldn't believe how long it was but I still got through it in a considerably short amount of time. My husband started to think I was addicted to reading- go figure...

message 20: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 43 comments I thought the end was great. I was devastated but at the same time, I wouldn't want it to end any other way. I never cry in books... never... I have only cried in two books my whole life. This was one of them. I didn't expect it at all but I guess if I look back at the other books, I should've known.

I think I need to go re-read this triology now. :)

message 21: by AH (new)

AH Oh, I cried too....but I loved the series....

message 22: by Toni (new)

Toni I love this trilogy!!! I am on Sweet Far Thing now. Wish there were more books in the series.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) I started to read the first book I stoped and never started it again

message 24: by Toni (new)

Toni I finally finished Sweet Far Thing. It was a GREAT trilogy. Book 2 Rebel Angels was my favorite. Sweet Far Thing was a little too long I will admit. I was ready to be done with it. But it was still a great trilogy!

message 25: by Miss Bookiverse (new)

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) I think Rebel Angels was my favourite, too... probably because it was the book that really got me into this trilogy. I enjoyed The Sweet Far Thing a lot too though :)

message 26: by Amena (new)

Amena Khan (amenakhan) | 12 comments I also loved this trilogy! Super awesome books!!

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate (katetj) wow i never would have thought anyone would pick Rebel Angels as their favourite of the three, to me it was a bit boring compared to the first and third.

message 28: by Miss Bookiverse (new)

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) I actually thought the first was a bit boring but if I reread it I'd probably like it a lot more because I'm familiar with the characters now. I loved all the secrets in Rebel Angels and how the story picked up and so many things happened.

message 29: by Toni (new)

Toni Infinite Playlist wrote: "I actually thought the first was a bit boring but if I reread it I'd probably like it a lot more because I'm familiar with the characters now. I loved all the secrets in Rebel Angels and how the st..."

I agree. Rebel Angels to me is where the story really took off. I think the Sweet Far Thing was just too long.

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments Rebel Angels was also my favorite. While I didn't absolutely love this series, I thought it was very well done and I was glad that I read it. Even though Gemma makes some truly poor decisions throughout these novels, she always manages to redeem herself, and I still found her a strong and likeable heroine.

message 31: by Toni (new)

Toni I also loved the magical world. I felt like I watched a vivid movie while reading. Very imaginative.

message 32: by Miss Bookiverse (new)

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) Hey Laura, what of Gemma's decisions do you consider poor? As far as I can remember I could always relate to her decisions but maybe my mind is just clouded up ;)

message 33: by Kakari (new)

Kakari (kakari89) | 7 comments NO WAY is it like Gossip Girls or the Luxe series. It's a suspenseful gothic action / adventure trilogy with a bit of romance. I highly recommend it. Be warned though that the first half of Book 1 starts out REALLY SLOW; however, it gets really, really good later on and in the following books. =p