The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > The Eyre Affair - Spoiler free

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
Please dont share information that may ruin the book for me.

message 2: by Petra (new)

Petra I just started reading this book this afternoon. Interesting concept of time.........

message 3: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) | 2907 comments First read this several years ago and it turned me into a huge fan of the author. Can't wait to re-read!

message 4: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 220 comments I've ordered it in; I'll get going on it soon after it comes in from the library.

message 5: by Efe (new)

Efe | 181 comments I just started this and am really intruiged. I wish I could just go home and read it all day!

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate (kshiv) | 27 comments I am on page 106 and I'm just not feeling it. It's weird and not in a good way. Just sort of ehh so far. Hopefully it improves.

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina Kate wrote: "I am on page 106 and I'm just not feeling it. It's weird and not in a good way. Just sort of ehh so far. Hopefully it improves."

Kinda carried this way for me through the whole books. . .but funny enough, I found myself thinking about it when I wasn't reading it. Strange for an ehh book!

message 8: by Petra (last edited Apr 05, 2010 08:09PM) (new)

Petra I can't say I'd rush out to read the rest of the series but I think I'll read them eventually.
The story is rather "ehhh" and yet it's very compelling, too. The things that happen and the concepts that are introduced are interesting and creepy (at times) and bring to mind some interesting thoughts that would make for interesting (and bizarre) conversation. The "ehh" factor is more about the characters themselves. They don't seem to have much depth. They seem to be about as real as a dusty character in any of the books mentioned throughout this book.
Page 106 is rather early into the story, even if it is about a third of the book, but the story starts to pick up some speed soon. This isn't a fast-paced book, for sure, but I'm finding it interesting enough to stick with and enjoy.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate (kshiv) | 27 comments Well, I finished so I'll switch over to the spoiler page now...

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather (demeter003) | 17 comments I'm only at chapter 4 but I am intrigued by this book. It's different and so far kind of hilarious. I have to get farther along in the book to really determine my views on it-but so far so good!!!

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen (delphyne) I'm in the "ehh" camp so far, too. Petra, you might be right about the character depth having a lot to do with it.

message 12: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 220 comments I just started it today - I've read about 1/5th of it - heeeelarious!

Thanks for choosing it for a read - I just love it!

Yes - I could read more in this line.

message 13: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 220 comments I just love the Dodo birds - didn't know they liked marshmallows - LOL!

message 14: by Petra (new)

Petra Carly, I'd like a Dodo for a pet, too. Any version, I think. They are cute.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather (hkhart) | 3 comments So far this book isn't catching my interest. I'm making myself read a chapter in order to "let" myself read something better afterwards.

message 16: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 220 comments I, of course, have never seen one, seeing as how they are extinct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodo

message 17: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 220 comments The plot thickens, slowly, but it takes you there . . . eventually.

message 18: by Petra (new)

Petra Carly wrote: "I, of course, have never seen one, seeing as how they are extinct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodo"

Carly, Dodos were in the movie Ice Age and they were a favorite of mine from the movie, too.
Cute picture in your link!

message 19: by Candy (new)

Candy | 12 comments I want to like it and there are elements that I'm enjoying but... I keep telling myself to read just a couple more chapters but not sure how much longer I can make myself go on. The author does have a great sense of humor I just wish I could get more into the story.

It's funny, because if this was a movie I think I'd really get into the fantasy world but reading it I just can't suspend belief long enough to enjoy the ride.