Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Goodreads Authors Wanted (Mystery/Thriller Genre)

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (last edited Apr 02, 2010 08:19AM) (new)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Hi Goodreads Authors of the Mystery/Thriller Genre!
I'm moderator for a small group who read Stephen White's Alan Gregory series set in Boulder, Colorado (Stephen White - Alan Gregory). We also read other authors as group reads. We just finished Still Life and are currently reading The Weight of Silence and Await Your Reply: A Novel. Group members have expressed interest in having Goodreads Authors available for Group Reads so I'm going to try it. Anyone interested in discussion your book? The title would be featured on our group and group members will rate/review it, ask questions etc. I might even create a quiz based on the book :-) The group read would last for one month, but the discussion would remain open for future comment in our "Other Authors" folder.

If you would be interested in doing this, please post your name and book title(s) in this thread. I'd like to have a handful of titles for group members to vote on via group poll and even if your title isn't chosen, hopefully this will be an on going Goodreads Author Group Read and you might get picked next time. We would especially be interested in authors who write similar to Stephen White but any Mystery/Thriller title would be fine :-) Thanks!

message 2: by John (new)

John Stipa | 47 comments Dustin, would your group be interested in an adventure/mystery/romance? I'm pasting in what some reviewers have said about No Greater Sacrifice:

"...the hook of this book is the action and that is where Stipa's writing shines... dialogue is crisp and the pacing of the novel is unrelenting"
--LLBookReview

"The flavor is distinctly reminiscent of Dan Brown, except with far superior writing."
--Melydia.zoiks.org

"This book is a top-notch, exhilarating and (dare I say?) "brilliant" page-turner."
--Gary Val Tenuta

"The mystery is great. Stipa hits you with major surprises up to the very end."
--J.Hangen

"Stipa's characters are alive and full of passion. John's sense of mystery and suspense grabs you to the end."
--M. E. Gavin

From the back cover:
When terminally-ill archaeologist Renée d'Arcadia is summoned to France to take part in the reading of a will, she is plunged into a maelstrom of deceit and destruction to solve a 100-year-old mystery originating from a sinister church where nothing is as it seems. Renée joins forces with David Arturo, an ex-helicopter pilot with a troubled past, to interpret clues cleverly hidden in tombstones and classic works of literature to find artifacts scattered across Europe. Racing against time, Renée and David must overcome their inner demons to outmaneuver a network of evil bent on destroying them. What they find in each other just might provide answers to some of mankind's oldest myths.

No Greater Sacrifice by John C. Stipa is available in paperback and Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/No-Greater-Sacr...

Let me know if interested.
--John

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Thanks John :-) Sounds good to me - I'm interested :-) I'll keep you posted on reaction from the group members.

message 4: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (last edited Apr 03, 2010 12:26PM) (new)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments The only issue we are having with No Greater Sacrifice is availability because it's such a new title. Most of the group members (myself included) rely on local libraries for their books. My local library is really good about purchasing new titles that aren't available through Inter Library Loan. Right now, none of the libraries I have access to in Colorado have this title, but I'm sure I can get it for a future group read. We are tentatively going to start our first Goodreads Author Read in May so I'll keep you posted. No Greater Sacrifice sounds like a great book for readers who like Dan Brown :-)
No Greater Sacrifice by John C. Stipa

message 5: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 140 comments Hi Dustin, I might live in the U.K but my current book 'The Day The Ravens Died' should get your happy band thinking. It is available on Amazon, Barnes and Nobel etc or as an E-book from 'Authors on Line' The easy way to get an idea of what it is about is to read a couple of reviews and comments on Amazon or the comments and reviews on goodreads. The easy way to find them is to put 'the day the ravens died' onto your google search page, they will come up there, by the way, I write under the name 'Timothy Pilgrim'
All the best Paul Rix [oldgeezer:]

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Thanks Paul :-) The book sounds interesting. I'll add you to the list. It probably won't be chosen at first but hopefully we'll get to it sometime. I checked my libraries and they don't have this title, so I'll have to suggest it for purchase. I've added The Day The Ravens Died to my to-read and Goodreads Authors bookshelves.

The Day The Ravens Died by Timothy Pilgrim

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Paul, did you know you have an author page on Goodreads? Goodreads creates one for every published author. You could take control of your author profile without revealing your real name. You currently have 2 fans (I'm one of them :-) Here's a link:Timothy Pilgrim

message 8: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 140 comments Hi Dustin,
just a thought, you can read the first chapter for free on the 'Authors on Line' site, it won't give you a clue what the rest of the book is about! but it will give an insight into a couple of the characters. There are also some cut price copies on amazon. If you have trouble getting a copy let me know and I'll sort it out.

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Just wanted to give an update. I decided to forgo the poll at least this time and a Goodreads Author/Title has been selected for our May group discussion:

Moonlight Falls by Vincent Zandri

I am still interested in selecting an author for June.

Paul, I'm going to look up that link and post it for group members to read the beginning chapters.

Our group is very small only 27 members and not all of those are active. About 5-10 group members typically participate in a group read. If there are any Goodreads Authors who are willing to participate in our group discussions and giveaway 5-10 copies of your book please let me know (via goodreads message). I would require that the group member receiving a giveaway must participate in the goodreads discussion, rate and review your book. This is just an option because many Goodreads Author titles are not easy to find using the public library and there's not a lot of chance that someone in our group of 27 would win a giveaway listed on the goodreads site.

Thanks to all the Goodreads Authors who have shown interest so far.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie | 31 comments Hmmm...mine is strictly an e-book at this point, but if you're interested, I could provide (privately) a free download code that you could pass to your group. For some reason the search function doesn't find it, but here's the link: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/79...

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Thanks Julie, I'll add you to the list of Goodreads Authors willing to participate in our group reads & I'll keep you posted :-)

That's really strange that your book is listed on goodreads but doesn't come up in a search :-) if I find out anything on that I'll let you know.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie | 31 comments Thanks!

message 14: by Darcia (new)

Darcia Helle (darciahelle) Hi Dustin,

I love the idea of participating in a group read for my books! I write mystery/suspense and currently have five published titles:

Enemies and Playmates
Hit List
No Justice (A Michael Sykora Novel)
Beyond Salvation (A Michael Sykora Novel)
Miami Snow

You can find them all on my Amazon Author's Page. Most of them are now listed on Barnes and Noble. And also my website: www.QuietFuryBooks.com.

I'd be willing to offer a discount for the group, as well.

Thanks for considering me!

Darcia Helle

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Thanks Darcia :-) I think I entered a Goodreads giveaway for one one of your books. I'll check them out.

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Julie, Your book is now coming up in Goodreads searches :-)

The Serpent and the Stag by Julie Ann Maahs
The Serpent and the Stag

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie | 31 comments Thanks, Dustin! I'd given up looking.

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments I have been trying to request some of these books from my local library to either Inter-Library Loan or purchase. Here is part of their response:

Unfortunately, “The Day the Ravens Died” by Timothy Pilgrim, and “No Greater Sacrifice” by John C. Stipa are not available for us to ILL (fewer than 10 US libraries own them), and we have decided not to purchase them for our collection.

message 19: by Darcia (new)

Darcia Helle (darciahelle) Are those books self-published or from small presses? If so, that's a typical reaction from libraries and most physical bookstores won't carry them.

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments They're from smaller publishers. I'll try requesting your books soon Darcia :-) Hopefully, with a better result.

message 21: by Darcia (new)

Darcia Helle (darciahelle) Mine are published through CreateSpace. Libraries have access, though they probably won't carry them without requests. That's the price we authors pay for being unknown. I appreciate you trying! If you do, let me know how it goes.

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Hmmm. You have the same publisher as John Stipa and they wouldn't purchase his book. I'll give it a try and keep you posted.

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Okay Darcia, I've requested Hit List and Miami Snow from my Library. We'll see what happens :-)

I'm still hoping to win a copy of Miami Snow since it's a currently open first reads giveaway on Goodreads. Fat Chance, but the chance is still there. I've only won one book through the giveaway program so far (I'm currently reading it).

message 24: by Darcia (last edited Apr 20, 2010 10:03AM) (new)

Darcia Helle (darciahelle) Dustin, thanks for requesting the books! I hope you're able to get them. I opted into the library program through CreateSpace, so they should have access.

It's funny how some people have a lot of luck with the giveaways and others have none. I run contests all the time on my site, so feel free to enter them all. Every month is a new one and once or twice a month I also run a 48-hour contest. I announce them on my blog.

Also, now and then I toss a book onto the swap program here. All you have to pay is the shipping. I believe Hit List and No Justice are currently listed there.

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Thanks I'll check out your website. I've never participated in the Groodreads Book Swap but that sounds like a good deal so I might look into it in the future. It kinda makes me mad the library won't buy a book just because it's not well-known. If less than 10 libraries in the US have a title, that should be all the more reason to purchase the book and then they could lend it out to other libraries in the area.

message 26: by Darcia (new)

Darcia Helle (darciahelle) I agree. Not everyone wants to read only the bestsellers that are being pushed by large publishing companies. I've read lots of great books by independent and small press publishers. Sadly, that's the way the business works.

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Here's my library's response :-( sorry, I tried.

Unfortunately we are not available to order "Miami Snow" and "Hit List" for you
through ILL, and we have decided not to purchase them for our collection.

message 28: by Darcia (new)

Darcia Helle (darciahelle) Thanks for trying, Dustin. I don't know what the secret is to getting libraries to carry books that aren't coming through major publishers. Eventually, I think they will have to cave. The publishing business has become like the music business - lots of independents out there.

I appreciate the effort! That means a lot.

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Great News! I'm getting some of these books into the Colorado Library System :-) Here is the response from my latest attempt with a different library:

Thank you for using our "suggest a purchase" to recommend some books; we love hearing from our patrons!

"No greater sacrifice" is available from our distributor, so I have placed it into the next orders cart. Once it is listed in the catalog, you can place a hold on it.

I was also able to find "The day the ravens died", "Hit list" and "Miami snow" and have placed them into the next orders cart.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

message 30: by Darcia (new)

Darcia Helle (darciahelle) WooHoo! Thank you so much, Dustin! It will be great to have my books available to library members!

message 31: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 42 comments Well Dustin I know you have read my book The Kult, which has shades of thriller and mystery, but for anyone who hasn't there's a giveaway on here at the moment.

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments I'll let someone else win that giveaway since I already got my library to buy it and have read it :-)

I could add your name to the list of authors willing to join our group discussions, though. The Kult is the only one I've read :-)

message 33: by Nathan (last edited Apr 22, 2010 06:07AM) (new)

Nathan Henrion I'll throw my book on to the pile. Its now the #1 most downloaded suspense/thriller on smashwords. Best yet, its 100% free. I just picked up a nice review from author Scott Nicholson (The Red Church and The Skull Ring):

"If you like dark and violent crime fiction in the mode of Jack Ketchum, Dennis Lehane, and Joe Lansdale, you'll enjoy this briskly paced suspense thriller. It has some paranormal spice and a strong, if a bit raw, storytelling voice. Henrion has potential and I look forward to following his evolution as he hones his craft and masters his natural storytelling abilities."

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/77...

Even if you don't pick it for a book club, please feel free to download the ebook.

message 36: by John (last edited Apr 28, 2010 05:22AM) (new)

John Stipa | 47 comments Thanks Dustin for being the reason why my book is being ordered by libraries!
--John
No Greater Sacrifice

message 37: by L.J. (new)

L.J. (ljsellers) | 8 comments I'd love to participate in a group discussion about my novels. I write a mystery/suspense series based on a homicide detective in Eugene, OR, and I explore provocative social issues. The first two books in the series, THE SEX CLUB and SECRETS TO DIE FOR, have garnered terrific reader response. The third story, THRILLED TO DEATH, will be out next year.

Here's a link to a book review that says why my series makes for great discussions.
http://bloodredpencil.blogspot.com/20...

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments John wrote: "Thanks Dustin for being the reason for why my book is being ordered by libraries!
--John
No Greater Sacrifice"

I'm happy to help where I can :-) Thank You! We're reading No Greater Sacrifice as a group in June.

message 40: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 140 comments Hi folks,
sorry I've been away so long, moving house was the easy bit. Getting my phone and internet connection moved 200 yards is the hard bit, this is just a temp. connection!!! Thank you for trying to get my book, 'The Day the Ravens Died' I hope you succeed. Authors on Line, who helped me publish have over 800 titles, the reason some places get snooty about AoL books is they are print on demand. Never the less the should be readily available in the U.S.A. they are printed by Lightning Source. I hope you enjoy it.

Paul Rix [oldgeezer:] aka Timothy Pilgrim

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Boulder Public Library (Boulder, Colorado) IS going to purchase a copy of The Day the Ravens Died :-)

message 42: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 140 comments Cheers Dustin,
just the tonic I needed as a pick me up after moving house for the first time in 25 years, I will go to bed a happy oldgeezer. Thank you.
All the best Paul Rix [old geezer:]

message 43: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (last edited Apr 29, 2010 03:49PM) (new)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments You're Welcome. I'll keep you posted on that library purchase - I need to check and see if it's listed in the catalog yet. I plan to reserve a copy & read it as soon as it's available from the library :-)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments I just checked - the titles aren't in the library catalog yet, but I'll let you know when they are :-)

message 45: by Timothy (last edited Apr 30, 2010 02:09AM) (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 140 comments Hi Dustin,
Just been doing a bit of checking on the availability of mine, and other 'Authors on Line' books in the U.S.A and Canada all are available via Ingrams who own Lightning Source, our printers. I hope this helps. I hope you enjoy 'The Day the Ravens Died' it will be interesting to see what your group makes of it.

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Just wanted to give you an update. Orders for the following 4 titles have officially been placed, they are now showing up in the Boulder Public Library catalog and library patrons can place holds on the titles :-)

The Day The Ravens Died
No Greater Sacrifice
Hit List
Miami Snow

message 47: by Darcia (new)

Darcia Helle (darciahelle) Thank you, Dustin! You're awesome! You're support means more than words can express.