Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > The Language of Fashion

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Apr 02, 2010 01:45AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, so my wife gets In Style magazine...well, I ordered it for her, because the subscription was only ten bucks. I was going through the latest issue (does this sound like I really subscribed to In Style for me?) and they had a page on bags/purses/whatever you call them. The article contrasts "Black vs. Bright" bags. Here are two descriptions:

1. Sure, it's black, but with chain straps and metal hardware, the bag is far from basic. Not only does it effortlessly transition from outfit to outfit, but it will still remain classic year after year. Like your skinny stovepipe jeans and killer heels, you're drawn to pieces that add a dose of glam but don't scream, "Hey, look at me!"

2. Bold and beautiful! Some purses blend in with the crowd, others pop. A brilliant hue looks just right against a neutral backdrop, where it can take center stage. You're not afraid to take a chance on fashion. An eye-catching bag will fit perfectly with other statement-worthy extras like studded gloves or suede lace-up booties.

(p. 178, if you're wondering)

A couple points/questions...

A. Ok, who owns studded gloves, besides Rob Halford (Judas Priest singer, google image search him)? Or suede lace-up booties, whatever those are? Ladies, are these in your closets? And what's that shit about a neutral backdrop? Are you supposed to stand still in front of the same wall all night? I'm always fascinated by fashion magazine's implication that, you know, oh, these are necessities and everyone should own them. I think you ladies get it worse than guys, but guys get some of that, too, esp. through Esquire. The clothing recommendations in Esquire are insane (you NEED this $800 shirt!) and their arbitrary "fashion rules" that they frame as self-evident.

B. Who writes that shit? I feel bad for them. Although they're probably living in Manhattan and dreaming of hanging out with Anne Hathaway and Derek Jeter.

Ladies, this is another situation where I shudder to think of the crap you encounter as women. Although I guess maybe some of you have fun with fashion, sure, and tune out In Style's recommendations.

What do you think?

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i used to read mail order catalogues, word for word, just for the way it was written and the words used. studded gloves and suede lace-up booties are 'statement-worhty extras' just because not many people own them. everything is supposed to be studded now so studded gloves aren't that strange.

message 3: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments The neutral backdrop is referring to the rest of the clothing, not a real backdrop (such as a wall) - they are saying if you wear a black or brown or tan or beige outfit a bright colored bag will stand out.

No, I do not own studded gloves or suede booties. In fact, I don't think I own suede anything - I live in Florida, it wouldn't make sense.

For the record, I have a brown leather purse. No studs, no grommets, no tassles, just a brown leather purse. (Although today I'm carrying my red purse because I'm wearing khakis - KIDDING!)

Fashion is amusing. I like the magazines like In Style, but not for the crazy descriptions (how many ways can one describe a white button-down shirt). You can't take it too seriously.

Finally, thank you for your sympathy.

message 4: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I despise fashion magazines and I refuse to look at them. Trashy celebrity tabloids on the other hand...

message 5: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments So what's up with the sizing in women's fashions? Whenever looking at clothes with my wife this always causes me to go on a tirade because it seems so arbitrary.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I hate the sizing thing, tadpole, because you're right, it's not consistent. Maybe they think it's easier for women to be a vague size 8, or whatever, than a definite 30 inch waist.

And I do NOT own any so called "fashion" with studs or suede, or lace up booties. And while I have a blue purse, I wouldn't say it pops. I like blue, and I liked that it had a pocket for my cell phone.

The women who follow fashion are very wealthy, and live in either New York, or L.A. And a completely different take on clothes than I do.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I was totally confused while suit-buying over the last few months because apparently suit sizes are different than jean sizes. I had no idea.

Why on earth don't women's pants (slacks, whatever, I don't know what to call them, what women wear from the waist down) have pockets? Are the producers in league with the bag industry? Where are you supposed to put your stuff?

(Grammar question...my computer is telling me both "women's" and "womens'" are incorrect. What's right?)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "I was totally confused while suit-buying over the last few months because apparently suit sizes are different than jean sizes. I had no idea.

Why on earth don't women's pants (slacks, whatever,..."

Possessive case of a plural noun is 's if it doesn't end in s RA, so answer to your grammar question is "women's" taa daa...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I like jeans, which have pockets. I HATE when it looks like there are pockets, but there's not.

And I know that sometimes they stitch up the pockets on blazers, and you're supposed to clip them, but sometimes, they're just fake. Which is lame.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i know what you mean about esquire RA. i love the mag but the articles where they show you the 4 pair of shoes you should have and they total $2900 i do the double take eye roll move. if i had $10k to spend on clothes i would spend about $300 and buy another motorcycle

message 11: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i only wear pants with pockets, and usually jeans, pants without pockets on the back make my but look weird. i almost never use the pockets though, because i don't want them to stick out.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I think women look good in plain old Levis with pockets in back. But maybe that's just me.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) The only pants I ever wear are either my old jeans or scrub pants. I'm a skirt/dress person mostly.

I don't put anything in my pockets--that's what designer handbags are for!

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) She was a gem.

message 15: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments One ringy dingy two ringy dingy....

message 16: by Félix (last edited Apr 04, 2010 10:13AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven)

message 17: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments Oops. Both hysterically funny though, so I was in the right category!

message 18: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24286 comments Mod
I don't read InStyle or own studded gloves, or studded anything, and yes, that there fashion writing is ridiculous. But I do pay a small amount of attention to high fashion. (I don't wear it.) I used to check out the new collections, or the old collections, online at elle.com but they take a really long time to load and the NYT recently revamped their fashion slide shows and they're very good. You can search by designer, season, or city.

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/...

message 19: by janine (last edited Nov 18, 2010 02:14AM) (new)

janine | 7715 comments i have a studded belt.

message 20: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) a belted stud?

message 21: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Now that I'm not working, I wear what is comfortable and affordable. I create my own style. I love vintage looks sometimes. I wear what is practical and functional. I own maybe 2 dresses a couple of summer blazers & 1 skirt. everything else is sweaters,tops,blouses,a few men's shirts,jeans or slacks...accessories: scarves,jewelry on occassion. I love shopping at thrift stores.

message 22: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Larry wrote: "a belted stud?"

are you jealous?

message 23: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "i know what you mean about esquire RA. i love the mag but the articles where they show you the 4 pair of shoes you should have and they total $2900 i do the double take eye roll move. if i had $10k..."

Straight-leg Levi's = $20 or under
Hanes Pocket T's = 3 pack for $7 or $8
Black leather jacket = priceless

I'm good.

message 24: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments Clark wrote: "Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "i know what you mean about esquire RA. i love the mag but the articles where they show you the 4 pair of shoes you should have and they total $2900 i do the double ta..."

yes,you are. my kind of guy.

message 25: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

More people should dress like this.

message 26: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh. Yes, Esquire is weird, Kevin and Clark, that way. I love the articles that say things like "Fall clothes budget-$4,000-here are the essential items!" Huh? Ok, maybe if you're talking about the entire decade starting this fall...

Why is that woman wearing packing case foam?

message 27: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Perused a few issues of GQ and Esquire last night when I took my son to get his hair cut. When guys feel the need to be instructed on how to buy jeans, impress women with their sensitivity when all they're really looking for is to make the beast with two backs, and start a music collection, it's probably time to retreat and live an eerie and solitary existence, beer in hand, because it's pretty obvious that we - as a species - have peaked.

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i read esquire at the library for the articles and watch ads. i am a watch aficionado

message 29: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Some of the pictures are good, too.

http://www.esquire.com/women/

message 30: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "Heh. Yes, Esquire is weird, Kevin and Clark, that way. I love the articles that say things like "Fall clothes budget-$4,000-here are the essential items!" Huh? Ok, maybe if you're talking about..."

That's Susan Dey, in her popcorn dress.

message 31: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments to LG: looks more like some weird bubble wrap to me.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments She's cute, but David Cassidy was prettier. :)

Come on, get happy!

message 33: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Clark wrote: "Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "i know what you mean about esquire RA. i love the mag but the articles where they show you the 4 pair of shoes you should have and they total $2900 i do the double ta..."

Clark and Kevin, you two are priceless!

message 34: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) RandomAnthony wrote: "Heh. Yes, Esquire is weird, Kevin and Clark, that way. I love the articles that say things like "Fall clothes budget-$4,000-here are the essential items!" Huh? Ok, maybe if you're talking about..."

RA, LMAO!!!!

message 35: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments the original purpose of clothing was to keep you warm. Fashion came into being so You would look as nice and attractive as possible while keeping warm and covering your body to meet the social strictures of whatever society in which you lived. High fashion came into being so some people could make outrageous sums of money making those items of fashion.

message 36: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

BunWat wrote: "Wow I think I owned that shirt!"

Past tense?

message 37: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "She's cute, but David Cassidy was prettier. :)

Come on, get happy!"

He is astonishingly pretty there. Chalk one up for androgyny...

message 38: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I love that color!