Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Sherie's March Reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherie (last edited Apr 01, 2010 07:15PM) (new)

Sherie Kidwell | 26 comments The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan (5/5) Pollan is an entertaining writer about serious issues. This book and In Defense of Food have really made me examine what I eat and how it affects my own health and the health of our environment.

Naked in Death by J.D. Robb (4/5) This is the first book in the series but unlike Melodie I have already read some of the subsequent ones. I missed some of the characters like Peabody who were introduced later but this was still a good read and it's nice to finally know how Eve and Roarke met.

We'll Always Have Parrots by Donna Andrews (3.5/5) The trademark humor was there but it seemed a little too frantic in this one that takes place at a fan convention for the fantasy show that Meg's boyfriend Michael stars in.

Among the Mad by Jacqueline Winspear (4/5) Not quite as good as the last two which both rated 5 for me. Winspear writes movingly of the repercussions of war but this was quite slow moving.

Babyville by Jane Green (3.5/5) so-so chick lit about three women. One wants to be a mother despite her dying relationship with her boyfriend. One finds herself unexpectedly pregnant and the other suffers from postpartum depression. I didn't find the women very sympathetic or as smart as their high powered careers would suggest.

Death's Half Acre by Margaret Maron (3.5/5) I love Deborah and her family but the mystery was half-baked. Most of the suspects were just names rather than characters so it was hard to care whodunit.

Nightlife by Thomas Perry (3.5/5) Well written but fairly run of the mill serial killer plot, albeit with a female killer, with no mystery, just a chase. As the victims began to pile up, I found myself getting bored.

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments I love the Michael Pollan books. Had a chance to hear him talk about 2 years ago and was even more impressed!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14693 comments Sherie:
We'll Always Have Parrots was ok, but it is my least favorite Donna Andrews book.

Sherie wrote: "We'll Always Have Parrots by Donna Andrews (3.5/5) The trademark humor was there but it seemed a little too frantic in this one that takes place at a fan convention for the fantasy show that Meg's boyfriend Michael stars in. ."

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1644 comments That's funny...in looking back at my book ratings, I rated We'll Always Have Parrots the lowest of all of them also!

message 5: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Susie in KS wrote: "That's funny...in looking back at my book ratings, I rated We'll Always Have Parrots the lowest of all of them also!"

Me three. I don't remember much about it except the setting. I just remember that I didn't enjoy it as much as the others.

My favorite of this series will always be the first, Murder with Peacocks.

Jan O'Cat