What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > like "the Secret History" but with fairies

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kij (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Kij | 2 comments When I read "the Secret History" a couple years back ,I was reminded by a book I had read years earlier. Same premise:ivy bound college, students studying ancient languages, charismatic professor handpicking a elite few. Only fairies are involved. This book totally haunted my reading of the above mentioned book.

message 2: by Catherine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Catherine (spacecatherine) Could it be "The Fool on the Hill" by Matt Ruff?

message 3: by CLM (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

CLM | 301 comments Could it be Tam Lin by Pamela Dean?

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 28, 2007 11:46PM) (new)

Reminded me of "Fool on the Hill", too, at first. But that doesn't quite go along with "ancient languages, charismatic professor handpicking an elite few". Actually, I don't remember any professor (or, if so, only VERY dimly) - or maybe my memory is just flawed. I think of the dogs, the LOTR-house, the kite flying....

message 5: by Kelly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Kelly | 3 comments when i read "the Secret History" i was reminded of that Elizabeth Hand book, "Waking the Moon" which had all the ivy-league elite trappings but focused around a destroyer-goddess cult.... i am curious if this is the book, and if not, i am interested in finding out what you read because it sounds good!

message 6: by Kij (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

Kij | 2 comments It just might be Tam Lin. I think I can get my hands on a copy to find out. But I must say the other books sound intriguing. Whata great group this is!

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36892 comments Mod
Kij wrote: "It just might be Tam Lin. I think I can get my hands on a copy to find out. But I must say the other books sound intriguing. Whata great group this is!"

Kij, was "Tam Lin" your book?

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (liminalhare) | 1 comments Definitely sounds like Tam Lin. TL has specific references to ivy and the study of classics and Ancient Greek figures prominently in the story.

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6990 comments Mod
Possibly Mythology 101