Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > No Country for Old Men

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Crimson Fucker (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) I loathed the book and i just saw the preview of the movie and i loathed it too.

message 2: by Steve (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Steve | 8 comments Oh, um, sorry, I loved the book and I'm also really looking forward to the Coen Brothers' film adaptation.

D'frent strokes, eh?

message 3: by Ann M (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Ann M | 39 comments I liked it also, although I wouldn't call it particularly literary -- a good turn on genre, imo. I liked his characterization of the killer. I thought it actually made sense in its warped way.

message 4: by Steve (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Steve I've read *really* positive words about the movie, after it played at Cannes. The critics in Film Comment were especially favorable.

I've never read McCarthy, though. Where is good to start?

message 5: by Cassiel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Cassiel Well, having just finished The Road yesterday, the only one of his books I've read, I suppose you could start there. It's readable in one evening.
However, don't take that as a strong recommendation. I'm puzzled that this book was so widely praised; it is pretty sophomoric.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

If you don't like McCarthy's prose (just a guess as to why the first person "loathed" this book), then I doubt you would like any of his books. McCarthy's writing is so straight and to the point that it's almost biblical, which is why his books feel so epic even though they're not that long. People who get upset when the good guys don't win will be routinely disappointed. Regardless, Chigurh is one of the best villains ever!

message 7: by The Crimson Fucker (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) max, you right i don't like McCarthy's prose but i actually enjoyed Suttree (the characters feel real in that one). I don't think his books feel epic at all is just a bunch of guys acting like robots. I really don't care if the good guys don't win. Chirgurh just look like a freaking robot killing people with a cattlegun (Morgoth was the best villain ever)

message 8: by Red (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

Red Evans | 11 comments The book surprised me. I kept hoping the good guys would win out, but alas it didn't happen I can't say I liked the book but I certainly can say it still haunts me.

Red Evans author On Ice