The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
What kinds of things would you like to see here? Maybe we read two books a month from the list. What are you're thoughts?

message 2: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
Hi there! I like your idea, but some of Rory's list is pretty intense. I have a lot going on in my life and don't know if I could do 2 each month... besides want to do frivolous books, too... but I'm willing to partake as much as I can. I'm just getting started on this, so be kind!

Now see if you can't get a few more people!

message 3: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Hi there! Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, I was out of town last week. Any suggestions on what book to read first? Maybe 1 book a month is best.
Not sure if you are a big Gilmore Girls fan, but I've become a tad obsessed over the last year. Last week I was in DC and got to have lunch at the National Press Club - and I was thinking Rory would be so excited to be here - ok yes I have a problem.

message 4: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Me too! I watch the episodes all the time. I'm really looking forward to season 7 coming out even though Amy didn't write the episodes. I'm adding more books to the list. I have a total list of some 183 books I got from here http://www.listsofbests.com/list/18323 which I'm adding - slowly. I know some of these are movie references and I would like to go through and actually verify all of them - but for now I'll just add them all.

message 5: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

I have the list they used to have up on the site. I noticed that yours, for instance, went a little mad in the Dickens area. At any rate, yes I love Gilmore Girls and own all the seasons currently on DVD. I loved how smart this series was without being stuffy or absurd. I'll check the other posts to discuss possible first book!

message 6: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

I'm still updating the list here. I think I have another 80 to add........... long list.

message 7: by Jessy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Jessy | 5 comments Just joined the site and was excited to see someone created a Rory inspired book club. I love her enthusiasm for learning and reading! I also have a thirst that I can never seem to quench which oftens leaves me reading several books at a time! :-) I am a part of another book club that is currently reading Einstein's biography but would love to read along with you as well. I am not sure at what pace I could go with both clubs going on and life happening :-), but I would love to try and join you all.

message 8: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Hi Jessy - welcome! The Einstein biography is on my list of books to read, are you enjoying it? Currently I'm reading Atlas Shrugged, it's good but so long... maybe I'll get through it this week.

message 9: by Jessy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Jessy | 5 comments Thanks for the welcome, Shannon! Also, thanks for keeping your group open to the public. It is fun to make new friends through common interests like reading...and the Gilmore Girls! :-) Funny, Atlas Shrugged is on my list as well. It is a bit intimidating which is probably why I haven't taken a stab at it yet. I am loving Einstein's bio- only on chapter 3 but so far so good!

message 10: by Mollie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Mollie (MollieSultenfuss) It's been awhile since I logged on to Good Reads, and I was so glad to see this group form! I am a late-bloomer to the Gilmore girls (I actually don't own a tv), but when I did come across it through a friend, I immediately rented every season available, in succession, from Netflix. I haven't seen the last season yet, but I've watched the other seasons multiple times. I catch something new every time! If more shows on tv were like that, I might consider buying a tv again.

I also like the idea of this group because I want to fill in the holes in my reading background, and want to mix classics with modern reading. I teach middle school English, so it can be hard at times to keep up with reading a great amount, but I think having a group to talk about the books will help me stay on top of it.

message 11: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Rock on, Mollie, glad you're here!!!