The Complete Idiots Guide to the Ultimate Reading List discussion

Chapter 1: Historical Fiction > The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (last edited May 24, 2008 03:53PM) (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
This book is about the possible life Dinah daughter of Jacob might have had. She is mentioned breifly in the book of Genesis. The Red Tent is were the women would go during their menstrual cycle as the only girl Dinah was allowed in the tent at a young age and she learned different aspects of being a woman from each of Jacobs 4 wives.

message 2: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I haven't read this book, but it sounds very interesting. I shall have to read it.

message 3: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
i really liked it

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri this book was interesting since the Bible only talks about the men (well, mostly). i appreciated the peek into the lives of the women and how they handled the details of their lives.

message 5: by Tera (new)

Tera I loved this book. I thought the author did a beautiful job talking about women and their relationships from mother daughter to woman to woman to woman and men. So well done

message 6: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
this is a favorite of mine

Tera (TheBookishAbyss) | 91 comments A fascinating read with well-developed characters and an inside look into the lives of women in biblical times.

message 8: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 103 comments I absolutely loved the first half of this book but then it lost some of it's appeal for me in the middle. I still ended up really liking it but I thought the begining with all the descriptions of how women were their own community was so wonderful, I was really sad when that part was over.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) Joanie, I definitely agree with you. But I think that was part of the story's brilliance, that we were able to experience Dinah's sorrow with her in separating from the other women. This was a great story about the power of female relationship, both in Dinah's Biblical mothers, as well as her adult friendships. I enjoyed watching Dinah come into her own once she was in Egypt and learn that she was more than just a daughter or mother - that she had a power all her own.

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I agree with you Emily. I had a hard time letting go of Dinah's family and starting a new life with her. It was a really beautiful story and still remains one of my favorites.

message 11: by MJ, Idiot's Top libriarian (new)

MJ | 1332 comments Mod
i liked the part were she left her family.

message 12: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 103 comments You raise a good point Emily. I hadn't thought of it that way, that's why I love goodreads!

message 13: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) This is a very good book, I read it a few years ago and really enjoyed it. = )