john irving fan discussion

Last night in Twisted River

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2 comments I wanted to start a discussion about this book; I finished not long ago, and went through the gamut of emotions and thoughts while reading it. I almost put it down at one point, because it had so many similar themes/topics/characters. However when I finished it I couldn't wait to tell everyone how great it was! I thought he really rounded it out well and concluded it full circle. Thoughts/comments??

message 2: by Druss (new)

Druss  (stansnig) | 8 comments Hi
i agree. Great book. I fear every time I read one of his books that it will be his last. It was thought provoking and so varied.

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb | 2 comments Mod
i was turned on to irving years ago. i love how he brings scenes and characters together. the bear is a great metaphor. who is the bear to irving? read the early stuff . all brilliant!

message 4: by Jeb (new)

Jeb Harrison (jebh) | 5 comments @Katie - you are SO right about the familiar themes/topics/characters. As a reader of all of Irving's novels, I find the threads to be very consistent: Vienna, the bear, Exeter, wrestling, the "hand", parenting. And there always seems to be an almost mythic character in most novels - in Twisted River it was the "woman falling out of the sky". But the ending of Twisted River was a magnificent twist, (Twisted River indeed) a wonderful surprise, and totally made up for that long, tedious time in Iowa where things veered so far off track that I too almost put the book down (which would have been a first!).

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 8 comments happy birthday to best american writer ever!!~~ oh I love that I have a new book to look forward to......& must must must finish the last read.....xxoxoxx
my life
is measured out
in the books of mr irving & last night truly is the perfect example ......its sits 3/4 read on my bed since december 2009...........yep I sleep w/that book next to me each night
SOMEONE MAKE ME COMPLETE THE READ ....I ought to do it for his birthday TODAY!!~

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna | 6 comments These comments are interesting. I found Last Night to be one of the hardest Irving novels to finish. I loved it once I had finished it, but it sat partially read on myu bed side table for a good couple of months before I completed it. I don't know why, except that as others have suggested it is one of the more demanding of his novels. From the start I just didn't have the same enthusiasm for it. Then In One Person came along and my enthusiasm was restored! I think overall Twisted River was a good Irving novel, but not a great Irving novel

message 7: by Korina (new)

Korina | 1 comments A Prayer for Owen Meany, Until I find you and In one person appeared to me that they somehow share the very essence of one and the same story/theme. Their characters also share many characteristics, and they even share experiences. I loved all three!