Military Science Fiction discussion

new mili-scfi books

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anuj (new)

Anuj (anujpun) | 4 comments i was wondering if any one had any suggestion for some new mili-scfi books

message 2: by Colin (new)

Colin | 76 comments Well, it's not new, but the last military SF book I read was David Weber's Starfire. It was very cool, and I highly recommend it.

As far as new goes, Ian Douglas (aka David Keith), the author of the Heritage/Legacy/Inheritance series, has started a new series. I believe the first one is called Star Carrier. I haven't read it yet, but I'm sure I will before too much longer.

And Black Library is constantly putting out new stuff. Maybe one of these days they'll get their website working correctly.

message 3: by Anuj (new)

Anuj (anujpun) | 4 comments I think I have read most of the black library books. hmmm if not new then any good ones, possibly series ones as I like to read books with interconnecting stories.
by the way thanks for the quick reply and will try checking out starfire and the Heritage/Legacy/Inheritance.

message 4: by Colin (new)

Colin | 76 comments I looked up Ian Douglas' new book; the title of the book is Star Carrier and the title of the series is Earth Strike. And Ian Douglas' real name is William Keith, not David Keith. But the Heritage/Legacy/Inheritance series and Star Carrier are published as "Ian Douglas".

If you are into ground-based combat, check out the Second Commonwealth series or the Dirigent Mercenary Corps series, both by Rick Shelley; or the STARFIST series, by Dave Sherman & Dan Cragg.

If you like ship-to-ship action, the previously mentioned Starfire had plenty of it. Not too long ago I read one called Conventions of War, by Walter Williams, which had some seriously good ship-to-ship combat scenes. Conventions of War is part of a series called Dread Empire's Fall, but I have not read any more of the series.

message 5: by Colin (new)

Colin | 76 comments I don't know what in the world I was thinking. The David Weber book I am talking about (I just read it - you'd think I would be able to remember) was not called Starfire; the correct title is Crusade. It is part of the Starfire series. Sorry. I should have checked before writing.

Also, I took a look at your bookshelf and I now realize that you have already read most of what I recommended. Again, I should have checked before writing. BTW, you and I have quite a few books in common.

message 6: by Ridan (last edited Mar 31, 2010 05:34AM) (new)

Ridan | 1 comments Curse of the Legion (Book 6 of Solider of the Legion Series) was just released a few days ago... It is part of a larger series, but they can be read seperately. I've only read the last three: Secret of the Legion, Cross of the Legion, Curse of the Legion: Book 6 of the Soldier of the Legion Series and will go back to the first ones at some point.

Amazon Link is here

Product Description
What do you owe the future, and what do you owe the past?

With the hated totalitarian System on the verge of collapse and the dreaded alien Omnis observing an unexpected truce, veteran soldier of the Legion Thinker has finally found happiness with his wife Priestess in a cozy home raising his children and teaching new Legion recruits. It is a dream he never thought possible, a haven of peace and comfort. It is also short-lived, as a savage massacre of Outworlder settlers on the Outvac planet Fortuna leads the Confederation of Free Worlds to all out war with the Gassies world Asumara. Only not everything is as it appears, and soon the Legion finds itself fighting for the survival of its civilization against a shadowy enemy willing to do the unthinkable to destroy ConFree.

Return to the Legion for this final chapter of the Soldier of the Legion Series.

[image error]

message 7: by Anuj (new)

Anuj (anujpun) | 4 comments hey Colin,
guess what I had already read the Starfire 1,2,3 books a while back that's why I forgot the titles. I think I am going to check what I have read again and try to update it. I will follow up on the Conventions of War and the starfist.
@Ridan thanks for the suggestion i havent heard anything about this book so it might surprise me :)

and thanks again for the suggestions

message 8: by Dale (Aus) (last edited Apr 03, 2010 05:57PM) (new)

Dale (Aus) (daleaus) | 2 comments Finished Earth Strike a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. A bit of a return to a similar universe of the marine books I had read of his.

New series I have tried
Rick Shelley series commencing with Officer Cadet Officer-cadet
Walter John Williams the Dread Empires Fall series commencing with The Praxis The Praxis
I have loved Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet starting with Dauntless, probably the best I have read lately.

Also love John Birmingham's near future/alternate time series

message 9: by Patricrk (new)

Patricrk patrick | 29 comments Just finished Live Free or Die by John Ringo John Ringo Entertaining. How do you free the earth from a technology advanced race who controls the orbitals and has high kinetic energy weapons that it is willing to use on world cities?

message 10: by Wpnstech (last edited May 22, 2011 08:08AM) (new)

Wpnstech | 2 comments Patricrk wrote: "Just finished Live Free or Die by John RingoJohn Ringo Entertaining. How do you free the earth from a technology advanced race who controls the orbitals and has high kinetic ..."

Easy use the SAPL, the next two in that series all already out.

message 11: by T. (new)

T. (tjacksonking) | 3 comments Anuj, one author that is British is John Brunner. He wrote some fine military scifi with drama books many years ago. Eric Flint writes some fine books, as does Steve White. And I too enjoyed Ringo's trilogy on dealing with high tech alien invaders, with maple syrup playing a key role in Book One. And feel free to check my favorite authors list on my Goodreads page.

message 12: by Anuj (new)

Anuj (anujpun) | 4 comments Hey Jackson, haven't read Johns' book I think, I will give it a go soon. Thanks for letting me know. I will also check out your favourite list.

message 13: by T. (new)

T. (tjacksonking) | 3 comments Thanks, Anuj. Another fine military SF author is John Dalmas, most of whose books are available on Amazon and, I think, trackablke on Goodreads. Another Britisher who wrote one military scifi book set in his Hospital Station universe was James White, a fine author whose work I always enjoyed reading. Best, Tom.

message 14: by Vincent (new)

Vincent O'Neil (vinny_oneil) | 6 comments I just released a new military scifi novel entitled "Glory Main: A Story of the Sim War" and you can read the first two chapters on its Amazon page. Available in ebook or paperback.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ZGVNSO

I hope you like it.

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott Rose | 8 comments I list what new MilSciFi book releases on my blog every month at http://militaryscifi.com/archives/568
If there are any missing just let me know and I'll add them.

message 16: by John (new)

John Forsberg | 2 comments This month I released a new military scifi novel: "Day One"
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...

It's a near-future story about a civil war between Earth and its outer colonies.

It's available at Amazon.com in Kindle/print formats:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0099UYMXI

There's also a TON of information about the book (ship data, maps, timelines, book trailer) at http://www.solwarone.com.

Side note: Vincent, your book looks interesting. I'll check it out!

message 17: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Evans | 1 comments Andromeda's Fall was just released by William Dietz, it has one of the best female protagonists in Military Science Fiction I've come across.

Of course,if you want a list of books I've liked and disliked, you can go to

http://sophyanempire.wordpress.com/ca...

Of course, it all depends on what kind of Military Sci Fi you're looking for.