We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Off Topic (Non-Kleypas Chat) > Romantic Movies - Historical or Modern

Comments Showing 1-50 of 139 (139 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I know we have discussed movies such as North & South, Sense & Sensibility, and Pride & Prejudice thru-out some threads here. Just thought we needed a place to discuss favoriet movies we find romantic or have great hero's and leading ladies!

Add your two cents! Tell us your favorites or recommendations!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved the dutchess ... and the other boylene girl ..
they were amazing really capitavted those medievil historical times ..

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 28, 2010 06:02PM) (new)

I just bought Pride & Prejudice today(the one with Kiera Knightly that everyone suggested), can't wait to have time to watch it now! Since all the talk of Mr. Darcy in that one thread(wherever it may be) I had to get it...

I loved The Notebook! Even tho I cried all but the first 10 minutes I think! And I love Cold Mountain...my hubby calls it Cold Mountings...he is so un-romantic...LOL

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Is the pride and the prej new??? lol i dont watch many movies

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Neither do I Rach, but everone was talking about this one with Mr. Darcy...so I had to get it. I thinks its like 2006 or so...not sure the year.

North & South and Sense & Senibility are supposed to be very good too, they are next!

message 6: by Kelly (last edited Mar 28, 2010 06:17PM) (new)

Kelly  | 213 comments Rachael wrote: "I loved the dutchess ... and the other boylene girl ..
they were amazing really capitavted those medievil historical times .."

I loved The Duchess with Kiera Knightly too. I also just viewed The Young Victoria it was really good.

Some of my other favorite Romance movies are

Bram Strokes Dracula
Odd I know but I LOVE the clothes and I think Gary Oldman is HOT as Dracula!

The Notebook

Reds with Warren Beatty

The Way We Were with Redford and Streisand

Same Time Next Year
This is old but I love the Jane Oliver song!!!!!

Romeo and Juliet the Olivia Hussey version

A Star is Born Barbra also

Splender in the Grass Natalie Wood

A Walk to Remember

The Thorn Birds

Oh so many more....

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Keira N ..she is so victorian style .. i might hire it to...

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Hm, will have to check out The Duchess and The Young Victoria.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 213 comments Kelly wrote: "Rachael wrote: "I loved the dutchess ... and the other boylene girl ..
they were amazing really capitavted those medievil historical times .."

I loved The Duchess with Kiera Knightly too. I ..."

You Should check out The Edge of Love with her it was really good WWII piece.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 28, 2010 06:12PM) (new)

Heidi wrote: "Hm, will have to check out The Duchess and The Young Victoria."

LOL the movies are called
- the dutchess
- the other boylene girl

i was just sayn KN is so victorian in her persona

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 213 comments Rachael wrote: "Heidi wrote: "Hm, will have to check out The Duchess and The Young Victoria."

- the dutchess
- the other boylene girl

i was just sayn KN is so victorian in her..."

Rach then you will love Pride and Prejudice with her. The Young Victoria is Emily Blunt. I didn't love the Other Boleyn Girl the book was so much better. The completely changed the ending in the movie.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee Emily Blunt ...
"the young victorian" is it a book?

message 13: by Kelly (last edited Mar 28, 2010 06:21PM) (new)

Kelly  | 213 comments Rachael wrote: "i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee Emily Blunt ...
"the young victorian" is it a book?"

Movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKs3yI...

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 28, 2010 06:21PM) (new)

is there a movie as well .. you no how most of those tyes of movies come from books??? i always like to read the book b4 the movie!!!!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachael wrote: "Heidi wrote: "Hm, will have to check out The Duchess and The Young Victoria."

- the dutchess
- the other boylene girl

i was just sayn KN is so victorian in her..."

So the movie is not called The young Victoria???

message 16: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 213 comments For the Love of Keira Knightly

Pride and Prejudice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARWfCB...

The Edge of Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fNabj...

The Duchess
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yObamg...

message 17: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 213 comments Okay one more. Can you tell I love movies!!!
The costumes in this are beautiful. It is based on a french book. I really really liked the movie. Makes one think about getting old..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFwzQa...

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Awsomeeeeeeeeeeee thanks :):):)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Kelly wrote: "Rachael wrote: "i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee Emily Blunt ...
"the young victorian" is it a book?"

Movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKs3yI..."

Heidi wrote: "Rachael wrote: "Heidi wrote: "Hm, will have to check out The Duchess and The Young Victoria."

- the dutchess
- the other boylene girl

i was just sayn KN is so ..."

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I just checked out that clip
the young victorian wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
how good does it look .... im calling my video store!

message 21: by ♥ Beth (new)

♥ Beth | 217 comments Oh great thread Heidi!!

I LOVED The Duchess also ... sooo dam goood!!

And North and South and Pride and Prejudice with Kiera ... Awesome!!

The Young Victorian is in my Netfix queue waiting for the release in April!! Can't wait for that one!!

message 22: by ♥ Beth (new)

♥ Beth | 217 comments I'll have to check out The Edge of Love.. I can watch that on Netflix streaming!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Ow .. isnt it out yet?

message 24: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (ghemomma) | 900 comments Great thread, love talking about movies and getting recommendations! I've seen and love most of the movies mentioned so far.. will have to watch The Edge Of Love- it looks good! Here's a few of my favorites:
-Pride And Prejudice (2005 with Keira Knightly and Matthew Macfadyen)

- North And South (2004 with Richard Armitage (*sigh*) and Daniela Denby-Ashe)

- Jane Eyre (Masterpiece Theater version with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens)

- The Count Of Monte Cristo (2002 with James Caviezel)

- The Holiday (Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet)

- Kate and Leopold (Hugh Jackman and Meg Ryan)

- Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day (Amy Adams)

- The Phantom Of The Opera (2004 Gerard Butler (*sigh*))

- Return To Me (2000 Minnie Driver)

- The Thomas Crown Affair (1999 Pierce Brosnan)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

loved the holidayyyyyyy

message 26: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 213 comments ♥ Beth wrote: "I'll have to check out The Edge of Love.. I can watch that on Netflix streaming!"

Beth I love the Netflix streaming too!

message 27: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments one of my fav movies of all time is The Family Stone, Fools Rush In, When A Man Loves a Woman, and You've Got Mail.

message 28: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) Catch and Release
With Timothy Olyphant

message 29: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 213 comments Bekah wrote: "one of my fav movies of all time is The Family Stone, Fools Rush In, When A Man Loves a Woman, and You've Got Mail."

I love Fools Rush In!
Andy Garcia is so damn hot!!!!!!!!! That is such a sad movie.

message 30: by ♥ Beth (new)

♥ Beth | 217 comments Kelly wrote: "♥ Beth wrote: "I'll have to check out The Edge of Love.. I can watch that on Netflix streaming!"

Beth I love the Netflix streaming too!"

Isn't it great!! And they offer a lot of great movies!! It was great watching seasons 1 and 2 of the Tudors on streaming .. LOVED IT!!!

message 31: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Oh, the Tudors.....I love that show.. and I will miss it so.....

:(

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

My DVD store doesn no have the young victorian .. CRAP

message 33: by ♥ Beth (new)

♥ Beth | 217 comments Maybe it's not out yet...It doesn't release in US until 4/20/2010

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL... i fogot about that minor detail LOL

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I got Pride and Prejudice in the mail yesterday, now I need a rainy day to watch it!

message 36: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (rosepup) | 139 comments um... For me, Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightly and Matthew Macfadyen is good as a short quick dose but it couldn't surpass the true element of Austen captured in the BBC version of 1995 with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth.

Not a fair comparision, movie and TV series are chalk and cheese but... well movie lacked just a bit of authenticity.

Pride and Prejudice BBC series Episode 1/6

message 37: by KarenH (new)

KarenH | 121 comments Heidi! I can't believe you started this thread and have yet to mention THE.BEST.ROMANTIC.MOVIE.EVER!

message 38: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 213 comments KarenH wrote: "Heidi! I can't believe you started this thread and have yet to mention THE.BEST.ROMANTIC.MOVIE.EVER!"

Okay Karen now you have to fill us all in.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I kinda assumed that everyone knew that La Figlia Di Elise was a given!

message 40: by Melanie (last edited Apr 29, 2010 03:13PM) (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 638 comments Hiya!
Saw that everyone was mentioning P&P with Keira Knightly, and I love it (seen it over 30 times!)! But after the movie, I saw the two mini tv series (1982, and 1995 with Colin Firth), and honestly, the tv series are way more complete than the movie, which is nice, because you get more Darcy & Elizabeth (which is way closer to the book:-p)..

So if you have like 2-3 hours to spare, watch one of the mini series, they're fabulous! :-)

message 41: by Koosh (new)

Koosh | 90 comments These are the ones I absolutely love:

Historical:
Pride & Prejudice (Keira Knightley)
Persuasion (2008) - must watch!
Mansfield Park (1999)
Mansfield Park (2007)
An Ideal Husband (1999)
North & South (2004) - must watch!
Ever After
Princess Bride
Kate & Leopold
Australia
The Sleeping Dictionary

Modern:
While You Were Sleeping
No Reservations
Meet Joe Black
Pretty Woman
Maid of Honour

I stumbled across this fanmade montage of happy moments in historical movies/dramas on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEVdeO...
Spurred me on to collect them!

message 42: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 213 comments Melanie wrote: "Hiya!
Saw that everyone was mentioning P&P with Keira Knightly, and I love it (seen it over 30 times!)! But after the movie, I saw the two mini tv series (1982, and 1995 with Colin Firth), and hon..."

I agree that it does follow the book more accurately. I have to say I did not at all care for Firth and the girl who played Lizzy.

The chemistry between Darcy and Lizzy in the Knightly version just sizzled!

message 43: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 638 comments Kelly -
The actors in the '95 version were ok.. I HATED Mary though... Thought she looked like a horse (sorry, I'm being mean)..

I just wish that in the Knightly version they had followed the book more: I know it was to make a movie, but a mini-series with those actors would have been amazing... Have you seen the 82 version? Darcy isn't half bad... Of course, not the chemistry from the latest movie, but pretty good!

Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (httpsrakesandrascalswordpresscom) | 2140 comments My favourites are :

Casablanca
An Affair to Remember
Pretty Woman
Just Like Heaven
The American President
The Cutting Edge
While You Were Sleeping
You've Got Mail

message 45: by new_user (new)

new_user I have loved so many of these, and I also recommend The Painted Veil for anyone who hasn't seen it. ;_;

message 46: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) I am so ready for a day and night of Romantic Movies on the TV movie channels,all of the ones you mentioned sound so good,I could do the DVDs but I don`t want to do anything or fiddle with darn machines-I always forget how to do something on the DVD player.

Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (httpsrakesandrascalswordpresscom) | 2140 comments I forgot to mention one of the most romantic films I've seen - 'Somewhere in Time' with Christopher Reeve (aka Superman) and Jane Seymour (Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman). You'll need a large box of tissues to hand !! Has anyone seen this?

I also love The Lake House with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock.

message 48: by Koosh (new)

Koosh | 90 comments Carol, does Somewhere in Time have a happy ending? I'm one of those cowards who stay away from movies with sad endings~ Hence, the romance novel addiction. Lol.

Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (httpsrakesandrascalswordpresscom) | 2140 comments Koosh wrote: "Carol, does Somewhere in Time have a happy ending? I'm one of those cowards who stay away from movies with sad endings~ Hence, the romance novel addiction. Lol."

It's difficult to say whether the ending is a happy one or not. It depends on your perspective. Can't say anymore because it would spoil the movie if you decided to watch it. If you don't, I think you would miss out on a wonderful romantic movie !

message 50: by Koosh (new)

Koosh | 90 comments Gah, that more or less sounds like you're dangling a carrot in front of me~! Lol. Guess I'll have to do more research before renting it. Thanks, Carol!

« previous 1 3