Tudor History Lovers discussion

Authors, Authors, Authors! > Great Author I Found: Kate Emerson

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Payton (new)

Payton (poetrychic222) | 1 comments Quite interesting the people she chooses to write on. I would suggest her for sure!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Thanks Payton, I have added a couple of her books to my TBR.

message 3: by Allie (new)

Allie | 1 comments I read the first book and was bogged down by a lot of fluff! The Pleasure Palacewas an entertaining book, but there was an over abundant amount of detail about clothing that was distracting. I guess a good light read, if that is what you are looking for.

message 4: by Wen (new)

Wen (thespoilingone) | 140 comments Allie wrote: "I read the first book and was bogged down by a lot of fluff! The Pleasure Palacewas an entertaining book, but there was an over abundant amount of detail about clothing that was dist..."

I read this one too. I liked it and enjoyed the detailed descriptions of the clothing and all. But I love clothes and shoes and all. The story was interesting to me as well. I just got her second book in this series this past week and am looking forward to reading it.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Glad to hear that, Wen, since we tend to like the same type of books.

message 6: by Wen (new)

Wen (thespoilingone) | 140 comments Lyn M wrote: "Glad to hear that, Wen, since we tend to like the same type of books."

It Does have what Allie called a lot of fluff. That is certainly correct. But in this one the Fluff material happened to be something I liked with all the extra descriptive details on clothing /fabrics and such. I think it will be hit or miss with many.

message 7: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 161 comments Allie wrote: "I read the first book and was bogged down by a lot of fluff! The Pleasure Palacewas an entertaining book, but there was an over abundant amount of detail about clothing that was dist..."

I enjoyed the first one, but as Allie says it's definitely fluffy - if you're in a fluffy mood it should do. I tried the most recent book and disliked the heroine immensely. I bailed around page 50 or so.

message 8: by Tanzanite (new)

Tanzanite | 47 comments I thought Between Two Queens was incredibly boring.

message 9: by Marie (new)

Marie Burton (marieburton2004) I enjoyed both of her novels, and then the new novel with the same title of Emerson's series but is called Secrets of the Tudor Courts by DL Bogdan(late April 2010), I enjoyed that one too. I really enjoy Tudor Fiction, as long as it is not smutty. I have gotten over the need for everything to be historically perfect in order to tell a good story.. but I do recommend Kate Emerson as she doesn't veer too far out of line.

message 10: by Marylou (new)

Marylou (loulu) | 164 comments I am so glad to hear that Kate Emerson is a lot of fluff. I have quite a few books that I just cannot read about the Tudor period because they are just that--fluff.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (historicallyobsessed) | 1 comments I love Kate's books but I guess I am a fluff lover when it comes to clothes and shoes. I like how she picks unique people for her main character's it is a whole new point of view of the Tudor's. Plus they are always juicy reads and I never know what to expect from Kate.

message 12: by annie (new)

annie (tellsnoemotion) | 147 comments I just started The Pleasure Palace tonight and so far I am enjoying it.

message 13: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments I was looking at the Pleasure Palace on Amazon and debating whether or not to buy it. You should let us know how it pans out, Annie!!

message 14: by annie (new)

annie (tellsnoemotion) | 147 comments I will definitely let you know, I'm on page 47 right now but I'm thinking it's going to be a quick read. It is a bit more 'fluffy' than some other historical novels I have read, but that's not always a bad thing. Sometimes it's nice to read fluff, and it's even better when it's centered around something you truly enjoying reading about - the Tudors.

message 15: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments I agree, there is nothing wrong with fluff!! Sometimes intellectual books get to be too much!!

message 16: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Fluff is great... especially in the summertime! I love easy 'beach' reads in the summer and a nice brick of a book in the winter :)

message 17: by annie (new)

annie (tellsnoemotion) | 147 comments Okay I said 'The Pleasure Palace' would be a quick read because it's so fluffy. I couldn't have been more wrong. It's definitely still complete fluff, but it is BORING fluff. I am having the hardest time getting through it. I took it with me on vacation in hopes of finishing it, but I'm back home now and I only managed to get through another 39 pages. I still have 'Between Two Queens' to get through yet too! I really wish I hadn't bought these books and instead ordered them from my local library - she isn't an author I would recommend.

message 18: by Jemidar (last edited Jul 26, 2010 06:25AM) (new)

Jemidar I got through The Pleasure Palace okay (complete fluff and it was easy to guess "the big secret") but really struggled with Between Two Queens. I just found the heroine unlikable and it all a little silly and implausible. I will probably give her next one the benefit of the doubt, but if it's along the same lines as these two then that will be it for me!

And no, I wouldn't recommend this author either. Very Historical Lite.