J.R.R. Tolkien discussion

Middle-earth Generally > Legolas and Luthien

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris | 6 comments OK i am confused
so Legolas is Thingle's son and Luthien is his daughter. Right? so that would make siblings. So then. And if we follow this train of thought then Legolas is also closely related to Elrond, Arwen and Arogon. Any thoughts on the matter (Ex. why Legolas is never on any of the family trees)

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 9 comments No. Legolas is not Thingol's son. He is the son of the woodland King, Thranduil. I'm not remembering exactly how Thingol and Thranduil are related (if indeed they are), but I do know that Legolas and Luthien are not siblings.

message 3: by Aldean (new)

Aldean | 17 comments Thranduil is said (in the index of names in The Silmarillion) to be a Sindarin (Wood) Elf, thus one of the Teleri who made it into Beleriand before the coming of the Sun and Moon, but did not continue on to Valinor. Elu Thingol was also of this category. So they were certainly members of the same general grouping, or family, of Elves. Whether these two kings were ever said to have any particular ties of kinship, I am not aware of any specific reference at the moment.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris | 6 comments So which is the lord of Mirkwood?

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gentry (authorjennifergentry) | 9 comments Legolas' father, Thranduil is the King of Mirkwood. :-)

One of the reasons why I think they could get away with using Orlando Bloom in the new Hobbit movie (where they can't get away with using some of the other cast members) is that we technically do not know all of the names of the elves of Mirkwood that Bilbo and his dwarf buddies did or did not meet while imprisoned there. While Tolkien did not specifically mention Legolas in The Hobbit, as the Prince of the realm, there is a great chance he would've been there. Not part of the discussion, I know, and just my 2 cents' worth. :-)

message 6: by Sidhe (last edited May 07, 2010 04:59AM) (new)

Sidhe Prankster (sidheprankster) | 28 comments Elu Thingol may have actually been distantly related to Legolas, though Tolkien never makes it clear. It's known that Legolas' grandfather, King Oropher, came from Doraith, where King Thingol ruled, and in the Lord of the Rings, when the fellowship travels to Lothlorien, Celeborn (who most definitely WAS related to Thingol) says: "Welcome Legolas son of Thranduil. Too seldom do my kindred journey hither from the North." This may have meant "kindred" as in Silvan elves, as Celeborn was mostly Silvan and Legolas-- while predominantly Sindarin-- had some Silvan blood. However, it may have also referred to a closer relationship. However, the connection would have been fairly distant. (The most likely blood relationship between Thingol, Celeborn and Legolas would have been that one of the Silvan elves in Legolas' ancestry was related the the Silvan female who married Elmo, Celeborn's ancestor and Elu Thingol's younger brother. It would not have been a close kinship.)

Also, in one of the histories-- I think it's the Peoples of Middle Earth, but don't quote me-- Tolkien hints at a connection between Admir (who may or may not have been Celeborn's great uncle) and King Oropher. Again however, nothing is certain.

By the way, I agree that Orlando Bloom should do a cameo as Legloas in the Hobbit movie. Even though he is not mentioned, Legolas certainly would have been present, and, in fact, when King Thranduil went to war against the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain, Legolas probably would have taken over temporary kingship of the Elves of Mirkwood.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris | 6 comments THanks every one for the help :)