The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Books that 'should' be made into films

Comments (showing 1-50 of 115) (115 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 204 comments One book I always thought would make a good film is Rendezvous with Rama

Anyone got any other books they think would make good fimls?

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) Bridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was

It read like a great action-adventure movie.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom (FermionAce) | 38 comments I would like to see Snow Crash, The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, and Daemon as movies. Supposedly SyFy (I hate the new name) has been working on Diamond Age for a while, and someone has bought the movie rights for Daemon. Of the three, I think I could imagine Daemon being the most successful at the box office.

message 4: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (JoshuaCaleb) | 38 comments The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster. That book is brilliant. its like Pilgrims progress but it makes sense and is a lot funnier. I actually started writing a screenplay for it, but never finished.

message 5: by Shawn (last edited Mar 26, 2010 05:56PM) (new)

Shawn (dodgerWA) | 3 comments The Mistborn series! The whole time I was reading it I kept picturing how cool the magic system would look on the big screen. Made me think of Jumper.

message 6: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5078 comments Wasn't the Phantom Tollbooth a cartoon? I nominate Alfred Bester's Stars My Destination. Great beginning.

message 7: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (JoshuaCaleb) | 38 comments Tamahome wrote: "Wasn't the Phantom Tollbooth a cartoon? I nominate Alfred Bester's Stars My Destination. Great beginning."

I think it may have been a musical, but that doesn't count. Narnia had already been made into a cartoon as well as a live action mini-series before Disney and Walden finally did it justice.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 204 comments obviously Terry Pratchett's discworld books have had soom conversion to the screen - but to be honest I wasn't impressed.

I am a big fan of David Jason but to cast himself as rincewind! Wow - major error.

I guess they were ok as sunday fodder.

Wonder if there is a new one this easter? I would like to see Guards Guards done.

message 9: by Rick (new)

Rick Pasley (hikr3) | 71 comments Neuromancer, The Graveyard Book, and Practical Demonkeeping! My only hope is that they would each be done well so more people could come to love them as much as I do.

message 10: by Curt (new)

Curt Taylor (meegeek) | 107 comments Definitely Daemon and the sequel. Cryptonomicon would also make a great movie or even the basis for a video game (kind of like the Uncharted series), but there is such an overwhelming backstory with The Baroque Cycle there it might be tough and Hollywood would eff it up. Many of Heinlein's works would be great movies, Stranger In a Strange Land, Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and others. Now that I think of it, has there ever been a movie based on one of Heinlein's works? Will check in IMDB...

message 11: by Curt (new)

Curt Taylor (meegeek) | 107 comments Well, if you want to count Starship Troopers as being based on a Heinlein book there is that. There is a lot of older movies that he contributed to as screenwriter though.

message 12: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 4 comments Paul wrote: "One book I always thought would make a good film is Rendezvous with Rama

Anyone got any other books they think would make good fimls?"

I'd love to see a movie of this!

message 13: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5078 comments Heinlein's Puppet Masters was a movie...

message 14: by Ben (last edited Apr 12, 2010 07:24AM) (new)

Ben Davies (ben_davies) | 3 comments Paul wrote: "One book I always thought would make a good film is Rendezvous with Rama

Morgan Freeman has been trying to get it happening for a really long time. I remember reading about it on the old yahoo coming soon site. I found this news article about a David Fincher attempt not getting off the ground. If it ever happened it would be interesting.

message 15: by Daniel (last edited Apr 16, 2010 08:42AM) (new)

Daniel | 20 comments Shawn wrote: "The Mistborn series! The whole time I was reading it I kept picturing how cool the magic system would look on the big screen. Made me think of Jumper."

I thought the same thing when reading it. It seems like it would appeal to the right demographics with a teenage female protagonist.

Paul wrote: "obviously Terry Pratchett's discworld books have had soom conversion to the screen - but to be honest I wasn't impressed."

So very true. But the latest attempt, The Colour of Magic, is pretty good. If you like Pratchett, check it out. It was a made-for-TV movie in the UK.

message 16: by Salamangkero (new)

Salamangkero | 16 comments I would love to see "Illegal Aliens" by Nick Pollotta as a movie in all its late 80's glory. The world needs more sci-fi comedy.

message 17: by Alex (last edited Apr 16, 2010 01:54PM) (new)

Alex Covic (buckybit) | 25 comments Boy, I'm making myself unpopular quick and early. I would defy the idea that a (any) book 'should' be made into a movie.

Yes, the old 'book is book and film is film' argument.
The Lord of the Rings lives fine without Peter Jackson.

But I see the fun of this thread so ok, here's one: Ubik If you have read the book, you know it's a challenge on all ends. What movie director could pull this trick you think?

[Update:] according to imdb.com it is 'in development'.

message 18: by William (new)

William (w13rdo) | 37 comments Alex wrote: "Boy, I'm making myself unpopular quick and early. I would defy the idea that a (any) book 'should' be made into a movie.

Yes, the old 'book is book and film is film' argument.
The Lord of the Ri..."

Some might say that Vanilla Sky (both the original and the Americanized version) were pretty blatantly lifted from Ubik.

message 19: by Alex (new)

Alex Covic (buckybit) | 25 comments William wrote: Some might say that Vanilla Sky...

oh, indeed. Yet, I see the 'real' Ubik story different - still, your's is a legitimate point.

Unrelated, but I equally saw in "Terminator Salvation" and "Book of Eli" and in "The Road", elements of Bethesda's "Fallout 3" video game.

... or another unrelated example: the mood of "Alice in Wonderland" much better captured through Terry Gilliam's "Tideland", who also did a pretty decent Orwell themed "Brazil"...

still the Catch 22 is always present? The book is always the movie in your head = ergo, the movie that is 'made' is a pretty poor Simulacrum?

message 20: by William (new)

William (w13rdo) | 37 comments Alex wrote: "William wrote: Some might say that Vanilla Sky...

oh, indeed. Yet, I see the 'real' Ubik story different - still, your's is a legitimate point.

Unrelated, but I equally saw in "Terminator Salvat..."

Yes, quite correct. Far more to Ubik than just the Half-Life/SimLife thing. I guess I'm just dubious that highly conceptual scifi can be pulled off in film without being so watered down its unrecognizable.

message 21: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrewlinke) | 110 comments Paul wrote: "obviously Terry Pratchett's discworld books have had soom conversion to the screen - but to be honest I wasn't impressed."

They were acceptable if you keep in mind "This is just a BBC TV Movie"... otherwise I was quiet saddened.

message 22: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5078 comments Ringworld is on Syfy tonight. I'm not expecting much.

message 23: by Alex (new)

Alex Covic (buckybit) | 25 comments Tamahome wrote: "Ringworld is on Syfy tonight. I'm not expecting much."

Ringworld? "RINGWORLD" Ringworld? like Niven's book? I thought it was already made into a movie, called "Bungie's Halo FMV's" ;)

message 24: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5078 comments Ugh. Make that Riverworld.

message 25: by Curt (new)

Curt Taylor (meegeek) | 107 comments Lordie, you had me there. Can't imagine Ringworld as a movie. Would make Avatar look like a piker.

message 26: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 20 comments Curt wrote: "Lordie, you had me there. Can't imagine Ringworld as a movie. Would make Avatar look like a piker."

Any movie with a plot would make Avatar look like a piker.

message 27: by Ridan (new)

Ridan | 4 comments With the right actors I think Good Omens would be very entertaining.

message 28: by David (new)

David Newhall | 28 comments Zelazny's Amber as a mini series.

message 29: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5078 comments Red Shift Rendezvous. You're on a ship where the speed of light is 10 meters/sec, with all the relativistic effects that entails, like turning red or blue, compressing your image, sonic booms, light bent by gravity, etc.

Redshift Rendezvous by John E. Stith

message 30: by Zach (new)

Zach | 1 comments Altered Carbon - It's already action heavy with a noir feel, which tends to make for popular movies. Now whether the tech/over-story/philosophy survives is another question entirely. There are even sequels already written.

The Crown of Stars series of books would make a great tv series.

message 31: by Scott (new)

Scott | 4 comments Shawn wrote: "The Mistborn series! The whole time I was reading it I kept picturing how cool the magic system would look on the big screen. Made me think of Jumper."

Definitely! I love Brandon Sanderson. I think the third book would be the hardest to pull off as a movie - it gets all philosophical in the end. I remember reading somewhere about a small production company picking up the rights to do a Mistborn movie, maybe on Brandon Sanderson's blog.

message 32: by Kris (new)

Kris (KVolk) | 797 comments David wrote: "Zelazny's Amber as a mini series."

That would really Rock....one of my all time favorite series...also Lord of Light as a summer blockbuster...

message 33: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 381 comments How about Lucifer's Hammer or Under the Dome? Not as movies or mini-series, but as a single season TV show. I've heard this concept frequently, but can't recall which podcast I heard the idea on. It's pretty much what HBO is doing with A Game of Thrones, right? The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition was poorly done as a mini-series, Id like to see either one of these done well, or not at all.

message 34: by Jason (new)

Jason | 14 comments I'm onboard with the Daemon suggestions above.

Also, would love to see "The First Law" series: The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, Last Argument of Kings as long as Logen Ninefingers, Bayaz and Glokta can be cast well.

Who do you think should be Glokta? Because I really picture him as one of those supremely evil looking characters.

message 35: by Simon (new)

Simon Williams  (SimonWilliams) | 5 comments Raymond Feist: Magician. If done properly, would be something I'd love to see.

message 36: by Ix (new)

Ix | 44 comments I'm not sure if alternate history is considered fantasy/scifi (I happen to consider everything that I read fantasy, from The Little Prince to College Physics, 2003 Edition).

With the obvious caveat of "if done right", I'd love to see "Years of Rice and Salt" done on film. Of course I'd require an unlimited budget and an octology of films.

message 37: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 2277 comments Ix wrote: "I'm not sure if alternate history is considered fantasy/scifi"

The modern genre grew out of science fiction books like Bring the Jubilee and Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, however there are also counterfactuals, serious historical essays examining what might have been. The most famous example is the book If it had happened otherwise,, which featured Winston Churchill's essay "If Lee Had Won the Battle of Gettysburg" written from the point of view of a Confederate historian in a world where the South won. Yeah, that's right, Philip K. Dick was ripping off Churchill.

This is why a lot of fans like the term "speculative fiction," since it can encompass sci-fi, fantasy, alt-history, and supernatural horror without having to argue about where the story fits.

message 38: by Ix (new)

Ix | 44 comments Cool, that sounds good to me. The Years of Rice and Salt is the only book I've read that rewrote history. Someday, I hope to have the chance to get into it.

message 39: by Andy (new)

Andy (andybeach) | 3 comments I loved Years of Rice & Salt, though it would be incredibly difficult to make into a movie, so i'm happy to leave it as a book (though i'd like to get it as an audio book).

Having just finished Boneshaker by Cherie Priest, I have to say I think it would make an excellent movie (fun art direction too!)

message 40: by aldenoneil (last edited May 06, 2010 04:13PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Andy wrote: "I loved Years of Rice & Salt, though it would be incredibly difficult to make into a movie, so i'm happy to leave it as a book (though i'd like to get it as an audio book).

Having just finished Bo..."

The Years of Rice and Salt was made into a TV series years ago, starring Scott Bakula as Dr. Sam Beckett.

message 41: by Carl-johan (new)

Carl-johan Sveningsson (unclecj) | 4 comments +1 on Daemon please!

message 42: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (xebix) | 4 comments The Thief of Always would make a great movie. Another vote for Daemon as well. I finished it a few weeks ago and just started Freedom. Awesome books.

message 43: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 2277 comments Xebix wrote: "The Thief of Always would make a great movie."

Heh. My copy says, "Soon to be a MAJOR MOTION PICTURE" on the cover. I bought it fifteen years ago.

message 44: by Bryan (new)

Bryan (blyoung) | 20 comments How about In the Courts of the Crimson Kings by S.M. Stirling?

I know it's the 2nd book in the series, but I think it's a bit better than its predecessor, The Sky People.

Anyways, these are retro-SF with life on Venus and Mars. The Venusians are fairly primitive, but the Martians are high-culture. (They're also low-tech in terms of electronics and plastics, but extremely high-tech in terms of biologically-engineered technology.)

message 45: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (HalfAdd3r) One more vote for Daemon.

Imagine the opening credits running over the deaths of the two admins who could have stopped the Daemon getting free (one in server room and one on his bike), with MC Frontalot's 'Zero Day' playing as the opening song!

As the song stops you can have the biker's eyes getting wide as the winch raises the line in front of him. From there you can go right to Sebek working crime scenes.

message 46: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5078 comments I'm pretty sure Daemon is being made into a film.

message 47: by Mike (new)

Mike | 4 comments I would like to see the Dark Tower series, which may become realty someday.

message 48: by Remington (new)

Remington | 38 comments I'd love to see a movie inspired by Old Man's War but not necessarily a text to screen translation of the book. The premise and the ideas in that book are so amazing that it would be incredible to see it visualized. However, it would have to be handled very carefully or it might end up being another Starship Troopers.

message 49: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5078 comments Dan Simmons's Hyperion Series has some cool visuals here and there, the Shrike, the Sea of Grass, the Metasphere, the Tree of Pain, etc...

message 50: by James (new)

James | 4 comments Erm, ENDER's GAME?!?! The obvious gets missed in this group...

THOUGH, it really does need to be done well... Like, Lord of the Rings well. If 'Hollywood' does it badly... we will probably all kill ourselves - like the feeling when we watched terminator 3 and wanted to rip our eyes out and bleed to death but only five times worse.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bridge of Birds (other topics)
Daemon (other topics)
The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer (other topics)
Snow Crash (other topics)
Practical Demonkeeping (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

S.M. Stirling (other topics)
Fred Saberhagen (other topics)
Stephen R. Donaldson (other topics)
Garth Nix (other topics)
Lois Lowry (other topics)
More...