What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA Fiction ... Long Shot; one scene--in which the main character savvily faced a gang and consciously separated the leader from the members to improve his odds of winning

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sonky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Sonky I remember only one scene--in which the main character savvily faced a gang and consciously separated the leader from the members to improve his odds of winning.

message 2: by Evan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Evan | 27 comments Or similarly "Ender's Shadow?" Any idea about the age or descriptions of any of the characters?

message 3: by Catherine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Catherine (spacecatherine) Definitely sounds like "Ender's Game" to me. Orson Scott Card is the author.

message 4: by Sonky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Sonky Thanks for the kind suggestion, but no, it couldn't have been Ender's Game. I would have recognized the scene and characters when I recently read that book.

The setting of the book was U.S. inner city, probably late 50's or the 60's.

The singular boy, main character, who faces the gang is new to the neighborhood. His strategem allows him to avoid a severe butt-kicking, defeat the gang leader, and then assume leadership of the gang himself.

Darn! that does sound like Ender's. But because of the setting I'm still confident that it's not--unfortunately for my OCD-ridden brain.

message 5: by Khover (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Khover | 10 comments Long shot answer: "The Destructors," a 1954 short story by Graham Greene?

message 6: by Heron (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Heron | 52 comments Maniac Magee?

message 7: by Sonky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Sonky I am not familiar with Graham Greene and the short story, but that seems the closest shot yet! I'll have to read the story, although I'm fairly sure the scene I recall was from a whole novel.

Maybe the book was not YA entirely, but a memoir that included...I just don't know.

I read the mystery-book as a boy at a period when my mom would take me to the public library. I'd get my kid's books, she'd get her grown-up books. At home, after I'd finish mine, I'd start in on hers.

That's how I got ahold of King of the Hill and another non-fiction account of a social worker from the 60s/70s called...called...oh boy!...Here we go again!

message 8: by Sonky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Sonky Is Maniac Magee so-called children's lit? Because I'm sure this was not a book intended for a young, young readership. Probably instead for young adults and maybe older readers.

message 9: by Heron (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

Heron | 52 comments Maniac Magee is indeed children's lit, but more geared towards young adults. A homeless white boy ends up running into the black side of town and gets into trouble, but always finds his way out in the ends. A truly phenomenal, startlingly good book.

message 10: by Sonky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Sonky Sounds worth a read whether it's 'the one' or not. Thanks all!

message 11: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 146 comments What about DURANGO STREET by Frank Bonham?

message 12: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 376 comments There is a scene similar to what you describe in Ender's Shadow, not Ender's Game, but Bean doesn't go on to assume leadership of the gang. And it takes place in Amsterdam, I believe.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim | 3 comments Yes it sounds like Enders shadow-Bean whos all but starving and gets accepted into gang and gets the gang into soup kitchen, but theres not much to go on in your one sentence keep trying to post more info.

message 14: by Tess (new)

Tess | 402 comments Was it the short story be graham Greene?

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 26761 comments Mod
Unhappily, Sonky is no longer in the Group.