The Modern Library 100 Best Novels Challenge discussion

100 Best Novels - Discussion > The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (last edited Mar 25, 2010 04:23PM) (new)

Stephanie April 2010

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway The Sun Also Rises

Post comments here!

message 2: by Sunflower (new)

Sunflower | 22 comments Hmm. Post-war angst, disillusionment and the "lost generation". I couldn't really get into it, and found the characters a moaning bunch of excessive drinkers. Finished, but not up there with my favourites.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin I read this book in high school and HATED it.... until my teacher actually explained all of the things going on in it, and then I thought it was pretty cool. Not planning on re-reading, though - trying to catch up!

message 4: by Sunflower (new)

Sunflower | 22 comments Yeah, I am totally admitting that I just read it as you would any other novel. Have done a little bit of background reading about it,(not prepared to put the time in to study it fully) and realise that it was ground-breaking in its day-but still didn't actually enjoy it.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I think I read this one on my own in my high school years and didn't like it, but I think it warrants a reread as an adult. I am going to try and get my hands on a copy this weekend.

message 6: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I read this in high school and didn't like it, but now (many years later) I've only read the first 3 chapters and so far I am finding humor in it -- who knew?

message 7: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Oh, I've been reading it and am most of the way through now but, except for a bit of humor in those first three chapters, it is just as I remember it from my high school days -- boring conversation, drinking, and I have a hard time concentrating on it. Very blah.

message 8: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Finished it. Conversations, hanging around, drinking, bullfights, end. Never did improve in my mind. I wonder why it's a classic?

The Modern Library 100 Best Novels Challenge

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Sun Also Rises (other topics)