The Sword and Laser discussion

goodreads security

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments Hi

You might want to check who you are logged in as. I took a quiz today (on goodreads) and got an error message at the end with a suggestion I retake the quiz - which I did.

I then noticed my home page was weird. I checked the top and sure enough I was no longer logged in as me - I wasn't simply logged out - I was logged in as another user!.

I have no idea how this could happen - I do not know this user and I am not using a shared PC.

I am now very concerned about the security on this site. I have contacted goodreads to explain what happened as well as the person who's account I ended up in.

I thought you all should know about this

Paul

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 10 comments I've been using GoodReads for nearly two years now. While an occasional bug crops up, it is quickly fixed. I do not recall any security problems but the Feedback group might have a post about the issue you're describing.

Overall, GoodReads is my number one website to visit when I browse the Internet.

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian (maeglin73) | 20 comments The same happened to me yesterday, as well, and there was a thread started in Goodreads Feedback about it around 11am. The reply came quickly, though, that it was being worked on. I haven't had any problems today.

Only a day and a half of experience with the site, here, but so far it's been working well more than it hasn't.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex Covic (buckybit) | 25 comments What I don't like about Goodreads is the flood of chatty messages you have to spend hours to shut up (or down)!

I understand they want us to click on as many things as possible on their site 24/7, but even with all features muted, I still get the emails I don't want nor care about - the connection to Facebook etc added, and you have your privacy-free online social chit-chat megaphone crying out all the time.

(I give the Goodread site a second chance joining the S&L migration) - let's see if I get to see every single click any of fellow group-members 'share'.

message 5: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1713 comments Mod
Alex, I'm not really sure what you're referencing?

Do you mean emails that Goodreads sends you? I'm pretty sure you can turn all of that off, and you can un-click "Add to My Update Feed" and "Email me when people reply" underneath the text box when you reply to a post.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments Yes you can turn it all off

Put your mouse over "Hi Paul" (Well your name obviously) and then click my Account. Click the Notifications Tab then untick everything that annoys you:)

Pretty sure if you untick it all you wont get any emails

message 7: by Alex (last edited Apr 16, 2010 07:06AM) (new)

Alex Covic (buckybit) | 25 comments Thanks Veronica & Paul

I mixed together two topics out of laziness - security (thread title) and my personal annoyance with privacy issues - the mana of these adapt online social whatever Websites.

The Goodreads Website is very skillful in connecting on the Frontend (user) and Backend (API's, Facebook, Analytics etc) turning every "click" into a "message" (no matter, if I am the recipient or choose to see and/or receive it, or not. Log in and go to the "home" page - the twitteresque timeline shows all activites of your friends, they have chosen to share) - that was the center of what I was after.

Part of security is also to know what the Website is doing while data-mining and connecting all the things we do while clicking. Your secure settings are only as good as the weakest link (literally - see stolen passwords with none-oAuth Websites, connecting to Twitter in the past).

(I would not bother fellow group members with Dvorak like crankygeek rant, if it only would be about my own inability to configure the settings. Our all time is precious enough).