Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > The God of All Small Things

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roberta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Roberta | 8 comments I wanted to stick needles in my eyes, but I was determined to finish it.

message 2: by Roberta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Roberta | 8 comments Sorry, I'm no help. It's been years since I read it and I don't remember the ending at all. I just remember that it was excruciating reading for me. I thought it would never end.

message 3: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Hi Sarah - I read it quite a while ago myself, and I actually have it marked as one of my favorites. The ending blew me away - it must have been murder to wait 2 years to ask someone to confirm the ending with you! I remember my mouth gaping open as I finished.

message 4: by Nate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Nate (innatejames) | 11 comments Roberta - I agree a hundred per cent!

If you hated that book, stay far, far away from The Inheritence of Loss. I finished it, but I had to stop reading for a while and I rarely take breaks from reading.

message 5: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Sarah just picturing that scene you describe of yourself yelling into the phone has me laughing out loud (while sitting at my desk in work!)

message 6: by Roberta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Roberta | 8 comments Wow - well, you'd think that would be something to remember, yet I cannot remember anything about that book other than that I hated it. I DID look it up on Amazon yesterday to try to refresh my memory and it's as if I never even read it. I remembered a little bit about the cousin Sophie, but that's it.

message 7: by Roberta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Roberta | 8 comments Nate:

Thanks for the warning. I'll stay away from that. Tell me how you feel about "The English Patient". I had the same reaction to that book that Elaine Benes had to the movie.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked "The God of Small Things" - a lot, actually.

And the lines about walking on water/swimming on land will be forever stuck in my head.

message 9: by Ann M (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Ann M | 39 comments I didn't loathe it, but I didn't think it was as good as people claimed. Didn't make a difference to me one way or the other. It was well-written, so at least I didn't feel insulted by reading it. I hate when people recommend something and it reads like a sloppy first draft.

message 10: by Nate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

Nate (innatejames) | 11 comments Roberta-

I didn't get the appeal of English Patient. But I have a really hard time with non chronological plot lines (except for Time Traveller's Wife, go fig). As much as I appreciate the author's effort, those stories try my patience. Although I don't deny Ondaatje has talent as an author, his focus seems to be more on the poetry of the sentence and less on the flow of the paragraph. I had to perform full-page sentence diagrams in order to figure what the object and subject were in some of those puppies!

It seems we may have similar taste. How did you feel about Peter Carey's Oscar and Lucinda or Virginia Woolf as a whole?

Did they make you do the Elaine Benes thumbs and kick dance as much as they made me?

message 11: by Roberta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

Roberta | 8 comments I KNOW!!! Sometimes I had to read a page 2 or 3 times because I was so confused by the time I got to the bottom of the page that I didn't know what was going on or who was speaking. I found it maddening.

Never read "Oscar and Lucinda", although it is now on my list of books I want to read someday. The only thing I ever read by Virginia Woolf was "Mrs. Dalloway" and I have to say that it's on my top ten list of books I loathe. It just seemed interminable. After that I had no desire to ever pick up Virginia again.

message 12: by John (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

John "God of Small Things" = over-rated/underwhelming

message 13: by Nate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Nate (innatejames) | 11 comments The Elaine Benes dance is a BAD thing.

don't read oscar & lucinda...unless you want to poke your eyes out. I have no desire to read anything else by Carey or Woolf ever again.

message 14: by Roberta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Roberta | 8 comments Duh. Thanks for the clarification. Ok, then, I'll take Oscar and Lucinda OFF my list. Funnily enough, after your last post, I looked Oscar and Lucinda up on Amazon and just couldn't fathom how you liked it. Now it all makes sense. I have already banished Woolf from my "to read" list. I don't think anyone could ever convince me to read her again.

message 15: by Roberta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Roberta | 8 comments Agreed - 100%