Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Group Reads and Challenges > Wicked Loving Lies by Rosemary Rogers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Karla (last edited Mar 31, 2010 05:49PM) (new)

Karla | 1668 comments Mod
ETA (3/31/10):
Warning: This is an everything goes discussion! Posts in this thread may contain explicit language including: swearing, sexual references, crude jokes and other possibly questionable content all in the name of BR fun!

In about a week, Jeanine and I will be starting to read Wicked Loving Lies by Rosemary Rogers. This will be the first time either of us have read it, so we're looking on it as a grand adventure. I got a pristine 1st edition pb from the UBS. Nary a spine crease. Too perfect!

First order of business is to scrub that bland reissue cover from my brain with some old skool goodness.

description

So if you've already read it or are a first-timer and want to join in, please do once Jeanine and I start. I have one request: Spoiler Warnings! :-)

message 2: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 444 comments Mod
Thanks for getting this started Karla! Sounds like we might have several people interested in reading this with you and Jeanine. If I come across a copy maybe I will join you too.... we will see. (love the cover by the way!)

message 3: by seton (new)

seton (lindaseton42) i read it. I'll comment on it but wouldnt want to read it again. too violent for me.

I do think this is RR at her most BR-ish after SWEET SAVAGE tho

message 4: by Karla (new)

Jeanine wrote: "Okay tonight I dig my copy out so I can be all ready! :) Countdown is 137 pages left in the Taming..."

Rats! I've got 229 left! You're zipping through that. :D

message 5: by Maddie (new)

Maddie | 7 comments I am also interested in reading Wicked Loving Lies. Let me know when we start!

message 6: by Karla (new)

Maddie wrote: "I am also interested in reading Wicked Loving Lies. Let me know when we start!"

Will do! Should be by...Thursday? Jeanine & I are nearly done with our current books.

message 7: by Wendy, Lady Evelyn Quince (last edited Mar 23, 2010 09:37PM) (new)

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (ladyevelynquince) | 241 comments I liked the Taming, especially the ending! Cameron is a great heroine. Don't know if you know, but there's also a very good sequel Ride Out the Storm and a third in the series The Daughters of Cameron, which I wasn't too crazy about. Happy reading!

message 8: by Wendy, Lady Evelyn Quince (last edited Mar 23, 2010 09:38PM) (new)

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (ladyevelynquince) | 241 comments Think I read this years ago, or skimmed through it...but I have a copy of it so I'd love to read it along with the group. I finally got my hands on Stormfire...only to realize I already had a copy in my attic that was never read! I am currently on page 370 and hooked. I will post a review of that one when I finish.

message 9: by Karla (new)

Wendy wrote: "I'd love to read it along with the group."

The more, the merrier! :)

message 10: by Karla (last edited Mar 24, 2010 05:10AM) (new)

That picture is animal cruelty! What did those Shar Peis ever do to deserve that??????

My brain will never be the same again.

And arrrgh, you're going to finish before I do! I'm trying!

message 11: by Karla (new)

Awwwwwwwwwwwww.......CRAP.

message 12: by Karla (new)

Well, I'm off to read and (hopefully) catch up. DON'T GET TOO FAR AHEAD OF ME! :P

message 13: by Jennefer (new)

I have heard you two bring up the series issue several times.... I think you guys are too OCD about your series! Get over it!!! LOL :)

message 14: by seton (new)

seton (lindaseton42) Jeanine wrote: "So I'm guessing the prelude is a quick recap of Dark Fires? "

no, it isnt. RR just does these info dump type of prologues for some reasons.

message 15: by Jennefer (new)

Jeanine wrote: "Well just a wee bit OCD - I'm always afraid I'll be missing something or on the other hand ruining a future book by reading them out of order! :) "

I can see that I guess... I don’t know... I rarely give much thought to reading a series out of order. If I start in the middle and enjoy it I might go back and catch up or maybe not. No biggie. Never really had any issue with it.

I am one of those weird readers who enjoy spoilers tho, so I really don't mind if I get glimpses of or references to an earlier book in the series that I have not read yet. It's fine with me :) Knowing what happens does not ruin the experience of watching it unfold! In some ways I think it makes it better! (I know, I am weird)

message 16: by Karla (new)

Jennefer wrote: "Never really had any issue with it."

I have 1) a bad memory, and 2) too many books...so if I read something out of order, by the time I 1) get the first book in a series, and 2) get around to reading it, I have usually completely forgotten stuff. Re-reads are usually required and I have too many books that haven't ever been read to waste time on re-reads, so I'd like to have a straight shot down a series if I can.

Yes, I do overthink my reading. :P

message 17: by Terri (new)

Terri (brookfield) | 29 comments I read all those books by her i have to say that wicked loving lies was not the best she has done better her newer releases are good to jewel of the heart, Sapphire, In your arms, a daring passion.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (ladyevelynquince) | 241 comments Wicked Loving Lies is related to Sweet, Savage saga because Trent, the son of Dominic and Marisa ends up with Laura, Steve and Ginny's daughter, in Bound by Desire.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (ladyevelynquince) | 241 comments Very cool - well you can sell the mint copy and make some money back! It is hard to find especially in really good condition! "

D'oh! I did have a mint copy...and then I started reading it and creased the spine. Maybe I'll just swap it if someone wants it.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (ladyevelynquince) | 241 comments There must be something wrong with me. The pose is goofy, but the Hoff is hot. Or he was at one time... Still nothing beats his Hooked on Feeling video. That man is an artist.

message 21: by Karla (last edited Mar 25, 2010 01:11AM) (new)

Wendy wrote: "Still nothing beats his Hooked on Feeling video. That man is an artist."

I had as much fun watching that as I do listening to a Shatner album. In other words, LOTS. :D Love The Shat.

And thanks for the clarification about how WLL ties in with the rest of the series. So it looks like she wrote this one, then decided later on to tie it all into the Steve & Ginny saga by having them intermarry. I'll definitely read the others in strict order, though! I'm only on page 19 and I love it. The prologue's excellent.

message 22: by Karla (new)

On page 99. Marisa's a pretty spunky heroine and I'm not feeling much hate for Dominic. Not totes in lurve with him, but he got slammed in Newgate because of a skirt, so he doesn't exactly have a high opinion of the breed. My tolerance for this type of hero is pretty high and I was expecting much worse. But after Sean in Stormfire, everyone else is pretty much a piker in the "Nasty Uber-Alpha Hero" department.

message 23: by Karla (new)

Jeanine wrote: "I'm not to sure about Marisa - so far it seems like she is the type of heroine who would just have to go investigate that creepy noise in a horror movie."

LOL You'll have to tell me what you think after she's been kept in Dominic's ship cabin for several days.

message 24: by Maddie (new)

Maddie | 7 comments I haven't read a BR from the 70s for quite some time and I notice that one has to invest at least 50+ pages before the 'real action' begins. I think this is one of the reasons this type of Historical Romance has lost its appeal. I love these old Epic Historical Romances, many of today's works lack the detail, action, danger etc. Many of today's Historicals have all the action take place in the drawing room or ballroom, how boring. I am on page 81 as of last night. I can't imagine the amount of research necessary for this type of story! It's amazing!

message 25: by Karla (new)

Yes, I love the leisurely pace it sometimes takes to get the story started. But it's not wasted. The scene's definitely set and the feel for the time and place is often extraordinary. It takes a lot of skill to make a book like that addictive, like
The Black Swan, where hero and heroine don't meet until page 250 or so! But that first huge chunk is superb characterization of Adam Tremain. I think he's my favorite old skool hero so far. *sighs dreamily*

message 26: by Wendy, Lady Evelyn Quince (last edited Mar 25, 2010 08:29PM) (new)

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (ladyevelynquince) | 241 comments "Jeanine, Acornn, Karla wrote..."

Oh gee, now I feel like an idiot. As I'm reading WLL, I realize there's no way Trent Challenger from Bound by Desire could be Marisa & Dominic Challenger's son, and sure enough, he is the great-grandson of Viscount Stanbury, not the son. I guess one should not depend upon 18 year old memories of a half-read book for accuracy. I am so sorry to pass off that erroneous info. :(

message 27: by Wendy, Lady Evelyn Quince (last edited Mar 25, 2010 08:29PM) (new)

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (ladyevelynquince) | 241 comments Just started WLL myself and am up to Chapter 5. The story begins slowly and then...bam! Ah, there's nothing like a convent bred girl who dances like a gypsy and the possibly bastard hero who hates women because they're all sluts. Plus, you know when you see a book printed in that old-fashioned serif font that it's a true bodice ripper.

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince (ladyevelynquince) | 241 comments Karla, the Black Swan looks like a great book and I put it in my TBR list. I love Civil War romances, but they're hard to find!

message 29: by Karla (new)

Wendy wrote: "Karla, the Black Swan looks like a great book and I put it in my TBR list. I love Civil War romances, but they're hard to find!"

The Civil War is actually pretty much in the background - I was surprised - but it's still a great story with some OTT voodoo stuff and slavery in all its ugliness. Adam's awesome and Dulcie is a sweet, well-meaning heroine. Not TSTL, IMO. The sequel Moss-Rose gets right into the nitty gritty of Reconstruction and I couldn't stop turning the pages. If people like solid, loving couples in their romances, they can't do better than Adam and Dulcie in Moss-Rose. :-)

message 30: by Karla (new)

I've reached Chapter 13 in WLL. Poor Marisa... She's found out that being married and being targeted by Napoleon makes her the same type of prisoner. Yikes, the way female relations are so willing to offer up their charges on a silver platter never ceases to amaze me. But, that happened in them royal circles. 'Scuse me, Consulate . *snerk* Nappy was a crafty little autocrat.

message 31: by Karla (new)

Jeanine wrote: "Napoleon is always made out to be jerk in these HR's - I'd like to read one where he isn't a little lecherous man all the time."

Maybe Queen of Paris will change that. I'll bump that up the TBR so I can get it out to you sooner than later.

message 32: by seton (new)

seton (lindaseton42) Jeanine wrote: "
Napoleon is always made out to be jerk in these HR's - I'd like to read one where he isn't a little lecherous man all the time. "

they didnt name the Napoleon Complex after him for nuthin

message 33: by Karla (new)

On pg 213: Well, after the briefest of interludes of what could be called "bliss," it's off on another round of Marisa Adrift. My guess is she'll end up with Philip Sinclair in some way, shape or form, which has been her dream all along, but will find even more horrors in store.

Pages just keep flipping... :-) I think I need to ice down my fingers.

message 34: by Karla (new)

Jeanine wrote: "Napoleon is always made out to be jerk in these HR's - I'd like to read one where he isn't a little lecherous man all the time."

Colleen McCullough wrote Caesar as more-often-than-not justified in his actions, so it shouldn't be impossible to do the same for Bonaparte!

message 35: by Karla (new)

I'm just shy of the mighty page 400. Can't believe how fast it's going, and I was wondering just how she'd end up in a harem.... The transition back to "civilization" is going to be rough.

message 36: by Karla (new)

NOT REALLY SPOILERISH, BUT JUST IN CASE....

Thanks for explaining that scene for me. I was confused and had to read it a couple times. The part I was foggy about was how the Duke met his end. The bit with Philip was AWESOME.

message 37: by seton (new)

seton (lindaseton42) I noticed in a lot of RR that if u blink, ur gonna miss the death of an extraneous character

message 38: by seton (new)

seton (lindaseton42) or if she wrote like Woodiweiss, it would be . . . 5000 pages :-)

message 39: by Karla (new)

Actually, I think RR's pace is kinda slow. There was a day that spanned something like 7 or 8 chapters. I think it's the day that includes the party where Napoleon lays his claim and then the evening ends in disaster.

message 40: by seton (new)

seton (lindaseton42) actually, I think her pace is neither very slow or fast. It's just that she sure dont linger on the deaths as she does on some of the rapes. . .

message 41: by Karla (new)

Seton wrote: "actually, I think her pace is neither very slow or fast. It's just that she sure dont linger on the deaths as she does on some of the rapes. . ."

She's different from Bertrice Small in that respect - you know people are gonna die in Small's books. There really hasn't been much death in WLL, which suits me. I can deal with characters I like getting killed off, but I still don't like it.

message 42: by seton (new)

seton (lindaseton42) oh, forgot to mention, the Kamil portion of the bk is very dreamlike and the condensed weeks just add to that sense of weightlessness/timelessness. M just lying there taking it up the butt is what I remember the most as she is the ultimate disturbingly passive heroine to me.

message 43: by Karla (new)

Marisa dresses in male janissary clothing and rides around with Kamil during the day, ticking off Kamil's sister Zuleika because she is not being a simple harem object, and is therefore worming her way into her brother's affections in more ways than one. Marisa has the freedom of a man during the day, and becomes an odalisque at night. I just read that part, so it's still rather fresh in my memory.

message 44: by seton (new)

seton (lindaseton42) she only dresses in male clothing because Kamil likes to pretend that she is a dude. it's the best of both world for him. she has boyish hips so he is aroused and yet she is a chick so he's not a total flaming homo. sorry, she gets no pts from me for that.

message 45: by Karla (last edited Mar 29, 2010 07:08AM) (new)

I wasn't asking you to give her points, only giving more details that she didn't lay around all day taking it up the butt.

I thought the point of this thread was that it was a buddy read. You obviously do not like the book in any way, shape or form. Respectfully, I find the unrelenting negativity tiresome.

message 46: by seton (new)

seton (lindaseton42) I thought the thread was here to discuss the bk, not necessarily to be a fangirl.

However, since I didnt start the thread, I will respectfully bow out of all future discussion. *shrugs*

message 47: by Karla (new)

There was no prerequisite to be a fangirl, and I also was not telling you that you must be one. I was merely commenting that I personally found the comments slightly narrow in tone. However, if that's how you interpreted it...

I now regret that I started this thread, as my first impulse was to keep the buddy read confined to my "currently reading" page, and thus keep it more personal.

message 48: by Karla (last edited Mar 29, 2010 08:30AM) (new)

You're right, she's not totally strong. She insists she's going to be from this moment on and I'm gonna pwn that bastard, but so far she hasn't really done it. I'm still not disappointed with the story, however. Now that she's not in the city where Dominic is heading for with his unspoken agenda, I'm wondering just what will happen next. (Not asking for a spoiler here of any sort.)

message 49: by Karla (new)

I'll settle for a matching crescent scar on his OTHER cheek. His facial deformity is so unbalanced and needs to be perfected. :P

message 50: by Karla (new)

That rakehell is so unnerving. Makes a gal lash out with whatever's in hand. :P

Don't know about the backbone bit. She gets swept along into events later, but when a national government is at the helm, there's really nowhere to go but along with their demands.

« previous 1