Fans of our own work discussion

What's your writing?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie What's your favorite type of writing? Realistic fiction? Fiction? Mystery? Romance? Travel? Nonfiction? Memoir? Third-person? First-person?

Personally, I like fiction and (now) romance writing. I've really like writing in third person, but I switched to first for one of my stories, and really liked it. I guess it's good to try all sorts of stuff.

message 2: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Do you like romance because of runaway #2? *Giggles*

Anyways, I like anything, although realistic fiction does appeal to me a lot.

message 3: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie Okay, you cought me. After writing that, it's become a lot of fun. I originally thought 'Eeewww gross! Too much kissing and stuff!' but it's a lot of fun to write.

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben | 5 comments Yeah, I am currently writing two novels, One is about this guy who is trying to find this person that he sees in his dreams and the second is about these kids who go to an amusment park and find some unusual things there...

Anyways you should check them out!

message 5: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie I checked out your story about the amusment park. It's really interesting. You've done a great job!

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) I like fantasy with little genres mixed in like realistic, sci-fi, romance, action, mystery and adventure. I don't care what view it is.

message 7: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ yeah, i agree w/ephona. i like fantasy, with elements of other genres in it. personally, i write nothing but fantasy. idk why, but it's just the only thing i can do. i've only tried writing two realistic stories before, and they both sucked. okay, well one of them started off as realistic fiction and then somehow morphed into a really bizarre fantasy along the way. and the other was this really corny, soap opera-ish piece of crap... so i just stick to fantasy. :D

message 8: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Definitely fantasy. I've realized that I also like romance, like Twilight...*sigh* that was amazing. Whenever I write realistic fiction, I usually get really bored of it.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Same. I need more. Same thing with romance; I usually hate it if it's just romance; I need more that just that.

message 10: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ yeah. fantasy with a little romance is good, i think. i like books that have some adventure in them.

message 11: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin I agree, fantasy with romance is good. Like Twilight.

message 12: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ exactly :D

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie (ladysilverwings) | 4 comments I guess I have to go along with the group and say fantasy. (Although I aggree with Ephona as well about mixing elements of other genres in.)

Most of my writing falls into that category, ususally about talking cats or "high fantasy" style creatures. I can write other things, but fantasy is just more fun to me.

Tried science fiction once, but it just didn't quite work out. I don't know enough about real life to write realistic fiction. :)

message 14: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune | 218 comments Fantacy probably... I like 3rd person...

message 15: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Hair I love historical fiction, fantasy, and sci-fi. All my truly great short stories are set in the future...

message 16: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ The future is a useful concept, cuz no one can tell you that it's wrong cuz it hasn't happened yet! :D

message 17: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Have you ever read a book that didn't take place very far in the future? Just a few years, I mean. I read this book a while ago that takes place in 2011, and I believe it was published in 06 or 07. It was interesting because everything was basically the same as it is now. The only difference is that assisted suicide is legal, which plays a fairly large part in the story. It was called The Big Question, and it is about a game show that shows how much people will do for money.

Anyways, the concept of it being set in the near future was interesting, and I can definitly see the advantages. It is still close enough to our time period to relate to what is happening, but there is room for a few differences too.

Has anyone else read (or written) any stories like this?

message 18: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ yeah, i know what u mean veronica. it's good to write stories that take place in the near future, cuz it doesn't have to be TOTALLY different from now, but it doesn't have to be exactly the same either. i guess i have read books like that; i mean, i'm sure i have i just can't think of any particular ones right now... when i'm writing soul stealer, i kinda feel like it takes place in the near future. idk why, but for some reason it seems slightly futuristic to me.

message 19: by Terry (new)

Terry C Bolton (minimaelhotmailcom) | 32 comments Veronica, I have written a short story that is set in the near future, although nothing is really the same in this story. I am not exactly sure if it is even any good, but you can form your own opinion of it at http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/1...

And please don't be mad at me if you find it terrible. It is just a story. :o)

message 20: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin I started writing a story that is in the late future, so everything is EXTREMELY advanced and such, but I stopped writing it for some reason...

message 21: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune | 218 comments oh, darn : ( ... you're stuff is always good Sella!

message 22: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ well, we all have our good and bad stories. trust me, i've written some horrible stuff... lol. check out the "worst story ideas you ever had" discussion in the writing passionates group. :D

message 23: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune | 218 comments lol, I will if I have time... my life is insane right now, lol!

message 24: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin LOL. I've got some bad ones too. I remember once I tried to write a story about letters between a celebrity and a girl...there was absolutely no plot or point to the story.

message 25: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ i wrote this horrible thing once that had no plot at all; it was about some girl whose sister died, and how depressed she was. the whole thing was just all her memories of her sister. it was supposed to be dramatic, but it was just sorta cheesy. then one of my friends found it and started reading it... and um laughing at it. she was like, "is this supposed to be dumb?" and i was like, "uh... of course. heh heh..." it was embarrassing. well, actually i guess the story had potential but i have to like rewrite the entire thing.

message 26: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune | 218 comments ouch... yeah, I know how that goes.. you say somthing serious, and ppl start to laugh, and you're like 'uh.... ha ha.... yeah that was a joke..."

message 27: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Yeah, exactly. I've had plenty of pointless things like that and when people read it, they thing it's a joke, so of course you say it was.

message 28: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Yeah...a general common courtesy is to NOT LAUGH when other people show you their writing, unless it is supposed to be funny. You can generally tell then though, and then it's insulting if you don't laugh.

message 29: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Yeah.

message 30: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ sure, i totally get what all of you are saying. haha. i feel kind of bad that i let it get to me, you know? cuz i guess it's my own opinion that matters. i mean, i knew that particular story wasn't very good. but i guess i should've stood up for myself and said, "you know what? i know it's not that great but you don't have to laugh at it!" oh well.

message 31: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) Ha ha. There are sooo many times where I wish I was a rude brat so I could tell people to shut the heck up, and they would dismiss my rudeness, because that would be who I was.

Unfortunately, I'm a very un-rude person, and someone has to annoy me a lot for me to even snap at them a little...I'm a pretty mellow person. So, if I exploded, everyone would judge me more than they would someone who was usually rude. But It's hard sometimes, with a couple of my 'friends' that drive me crazy.

Oh well. At least I can avoid situations like those in the upcoming summer...

message 32: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin That always happens, where I wish I could turn back time so I could have said something different then what I did say.

message 33: by Terry (new)

Terry C Bolton (minimaelhotmailcom) | 32 comments Each and every person is their own worst critic. Nothing another person says will hurt me because I have already thought the very same thing of myself.

message 34: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune | 218 comments I know what you mean... I don't really care when ppl insult me... I just bite back, hahah

message 35: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Same here. :D LOL But I don't really care when people insult me, 'coz I know they're joking, or if they're not, it doesn't matter what they think.

message 36: by Michelle (last edited May 25, 2008 02:35PM) (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) Ppl insult me so often, i'm used to it by now. Usually its a rant in the middle of double english that the deaf teacher can't hear. i just tune everything out and when ppl say something about it the next day, i'm like "What are you talking about?"

message 37: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Yeah, I usually ignore it.

message 38: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune | 218 comments LOL I love saying smart stuff back, that they are almost too dumb to understand...

I must get it from reading so much...

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) me too

message 40: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Same! :D

message 41: by Veronica (last edited May 25, 2008 04:01PM) (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) I don't ever get the chance to say smart stuff back because nobody insults me. People in my grade pretty much leave each other alone.

But then there is the 7th graders...

I unfortunately have to share a class with them, because there is a 7th/8th grade chior, and I'm in it.

Most of the 7th graders aren't that bad though, and are pretty cool.

But a handfull of them...ugh. I really don't like them. One of them once called my friend (who is also a 7th grader) a spoiled b****. Funny thing was, my friend was more bothered by the spoiled part...

And the group is always complaining about every song we sing, and most of them are okay. They don't even give the songs a chance. I think that they just want to sing pop songs, too, which are about the ugliest sounding songs ever. Pop songs to me are what screamo and rap are to most people.

In fact, although I don't like rap much, I would rather listen to that then pop music where the girls try to sound sexy while they sing about how suposedly hot they are!

message 42: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune | 218 comments LOL thats gr8t!

message 43: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Right on, Veronica!

message 44: by Keyanah (new)

Keyanah (drizzleherb-peacelover) | 33 comments Hey, sella

message 45: by Keyanah (new)

Keyanah (drizzleherb-peacelover) | 33 comments Sella?

message 46: by Keyanah (new)

Keyanah (drizzleherb-peacelover) | 33 comments I maissed her AGAIN!DARN IT!

message 47: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin I'm still here!!

message 48: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune | 218 comments You guys are posting at the same time!!!! That is too creepy!

message 49: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin I know!!

message 50: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune | 218 comments AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH HYPER!!! Off to a barn dance! Wish me luck, that someone will actually ask me to dance!

« previous 1