Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Nonfiction > Advice

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Enuton (gooberella) | 23 comments Hi,

When writing nonfiction and you refer to medical information from a website, do you need to retain permission from the website organization before sending your manuscript to agents?

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Gooberella wrote: "Hi,

When writing nonfiction and you refer to medical information from a website, do you need to retain permission from the website organization before sending your manuscript to agents?"

Are you quoting the site directly? Is it their original copyrighted material? Are you properly citing it in your footnotes?

These are all considerations.

I would ask permission just to be on the safe side, frankly.

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Enuton (gooberella) | 23 comments Thanks for your reply. They are definetly in the footnotes, I was wondering if I need to retain permission before sending to agents or would that come later on down the line if the agent should ever find a publisher.

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Gooberella wrote: "Thanks for your reply. They are definetly in the footnotes, I was wondering if I need to retain permission before sending to agents or would that come later on down the line if the agent should eve..."

I would ask for permission, and keep a copy of your request letter. That way, even if you hear nothing back, you have proof that you asked. Can't hurt.