Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Series > (Spoilers)The Queen's Thief Series by Megan Whalen Turner

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I just started this one last night, seems like it will be a fast read. I'm only a few pages in, but do they ever say how old Gen is? Don't tell me if it's something that gets revealed later as part of the plot.

Also, am I the only one that thought he was a girl? Gen is pretty ambiguous. Just when I was comfortable with imagining him as a girl, they refer to Gen as "he". Oh well! I'm sure if I had read the flap or description that may have been revealed.

message 2: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Yay, so glad you're reading it! Gen's age isn't explicitly said in the books. There have been countless discussions about it actually and people have tried to ask Megan about it but she keeps saying "Not telling" because she believes that some things should be up to the reader.

Really, you thought she was a girl? Hmm that's new. And it's actually a good thing that you don't read the summary of the books because they contain minor spoilers.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Bluemoon it's ok so far. I like Gen, I think he's really funny and stubborn. So far nothing too exciting has happened so it's only about 2 to 2.5 stars so far. Some of it reminds me of Ever, which I hated - but something tells me that there will be more to this story than that (they're just giving some background information I suppose). I DO believe that the action will pick up. Gen is so funny sometimes.

Chachic - it was the way he talked and the bragging thoughts, made me think he was a girl. Like all the guys got to do everything and she was awesome because not only was she a girl, but she could steal anything. And then he referred to Ambiades as handsome. But then they started calling him he and that made sense. He was just young and bragging that even though he was lower in status, his talent was better than even the most noble born - or something like that. And when I said Gen was ambiguous, I meant the name: Jen/Gen.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Well I'm further into it and I actually like it more than I did. Now I'm up to about 3.5 stars. Like I said, Gen is very likable.

message 5: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 41 comments I love, love, LOVE this series! (And the next two books much more than the first) But I have to say that they're all the kind of books that you appreciate a lot more after reading more than once. - They all have twists and on the second (or in my case fifth) readings you pick up on all the clues that the author drops - she's very clever.
The next book is coming out in about two weeks - I can't wait!

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Good to hear Josie! Do you know how many books will be in this series? I thought these three were the only ones. Thanks for your comments, I'm actually looking forward to reading the next book. I can't wait until I'm done so I can talk about it.

message 7: by Amy (last edited Mar 22, 2010 03:53PM) (new)

Amy (aaammmyyy) | 29 comments Haha I'm glad there's a thread for the book now!

And Peep- usually Gen is assumed to be around 14 years old in THE THIEF. I know how you feel; the first time I read it I was wondering about his age as well. He seems so unmanly in THE THIEF! But he matures in the other books. Which, I might add, surpass THE THIEF in awesomeness =)

Here's the deduction for his age:
Eugenides's age is never specified in the books, but based on a few facts his general age can be inferred. Eugendies was ten in the Thief! short-story printed in Disney Adventures magazine.
The Thief: 14
The Queen of Attolia: 14 or 15 (beginning) 16 or 17 (ending)
The King of Attolia: 17 or 18

I cut off some of the info because it was spoiler-ish =)

message 8: by Chachic (new)

Chachic I missed a lot while I was sleeping! Yay I'm so happy that there are more people reading this series. It really doesn't get enough attention.

Peep, I got what you said about the name Gen being ambiguous. It's just funny because I never heard anyone else who thought he was a girl at the start of the book. It makes me want to post your thoughts in Sounis (http://community.livejournal.com/sounis), the online community for Megan Whalen Turner (MWT) fans.

I agree with Josie, I loved the next two books a lot more than the first. And they get better with every reread.

There are going to be 6 books in the series. The fourth is coming out on the 23rd. The fifth and sixth, we don't really know.

message 9: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Oh as for the ages, there really have been arguments about it in the Sounis community and my personal belief is to just go with my original thoughts. I thought Gen was 15 in The Thief and then 16-17 in QoA and 18-20 in KoA.

message 10: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I aged them one year younger than Amy did - though I haven't gotten to any part about the queen so I had no idea she was that young!!!!!!! ARGH! Hehehe. Anywho, I actually really like this book. I know I've said it in every post but I love Gen. He just has the funniest comebacks and is as slick as oil. I can see why this a favorite!

And Chachic feel free to post what I said over there! I didn't realize Gen was a he until page 23 if that helps. Let me know what the response is. And only if it's nice.

message 11: by Chachic (new)

Chachic It's really amusing that you started with a low rating for the book but as you keep reading, you're moving it up. I hope you end up rating it 5 stars. Gen is a really great character! Much more so in the later books (this is me, encouraging you to read faster so you can move on to the next ones).

Hahaha okay Peep, I'll let you know only if it's nice!

message 12: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Oh yeah! Definitely one of my favorites! Totally five stars, and is even a good read to recommend to my little sisters.

message 13: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Bluemoon wrote: "My boyfriend's name is Gen too, so when I heard the name it's instinctively programmed in my head to think that it's a guy."

Wow, your boyfriend's name is Gen! I hope he's as awesome as Gen in the book!

message 14: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Peep wrote: "Oh yeah! Definitely one of my favorites! Totally five stars, and is even a good read to recommend to my little sisters."

Yeah, you can definitely recommend it to younger siblings. It's a Newbery awarded book too.

message 15: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Yes and I'm sad it's over! I can't wait to read the next few. I've got about a ton of other books on my to be read list but I will make room for these.

Who recommended it so I can hug them?

message 16: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Yaaaaaaay you loved it! *beams*

Not sure if it was me or Amy who brought it up? Although maybe somebody else mentioned it already. Go read the next ones! Lucky you, just in time for the fourth book.

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy (aaammmyyy) | 29 comments Ahh yes you're quite lucky. The next book comes out TOMORROW!! (I think) :D

message 18: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Yes, March 23! It's the 23rd here already but I don't know when we're going to get the book. I keep calling the local bookstore to ask and they keep telling me that they don't know.

message 19: by Chachic (new)

Chachic It's gotten better actually since Fully Booked started but we still don't get the books on their US release dates. Not unless it's a popular book and there's a worldwide release date like Harry Potter.

message 20: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Peep! Apparently, you're not the only one who thought Gen was a girl. I posted your comment in the community and a lot of them replied and said that they also thought Gen was a girl. Here's the thread: http://community.livejournal.com/soun... in case you wanted to see their comments.

message 21: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Mar 23, 2010 04:57AM) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Cool, I checked out the thread Chachic and it was cool to see at least I wasn't the only one. It seems like it was the same scene that people figured it out too. I just realized that the book flap doesn't identify his gender either.

Can anyone figure out what the cover means? I have the cover with the king and the shadow of the hand.

message 22: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Yeah, I was actually surprised that there were a lot of people who thought Gen was a girl at the start of the book. It never occurred to me.

Is this the cover that you mean: http://fiddlededee.distantskies.net/w...

I think that the person shown is the Great Goddess Hephestia inside the temple and the shadow is Gen's hand.

message 23: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Ugh! You guys (girls) are killing me! I just got this from the library last night and planned to read it 3rd (two others first), but now I have to move it up because you keep talking about it. At least I will know Gen is a guy, since Peep is obviously obsessed with him :)

message 24: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Chachic wrote: "Yeah, I was actually surprised that there were a lot of people who thought Gen was a girl at the start of the book. It never occurred to me.

Is this the cover that you mean: http://fiddlededee.dis..."

Oh thanks for explaining it! I was thinking it might have been Sounis king or Eugenides but yours makes perfect sense!

message 25: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Heidi wrote: "...At least I will know Gen is a guy, since Peep is obviously obsessed with him :)"

I can't help it! It's too hard not to like him.

And Bluemoon stick with it! We're rooting for you!

message 26: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Peep wrote: "Oh thanks for explaining it! I was thinking it might have been Sounis king or Eugenides but yours makes perfect sense!"

No problem! I love discussing these books. I have the paperback editions of the books and I just love those covers. Also, just to get a sense of how big a fan girl I am of this series, I ordered signed copies from the States! I had it shipped all the way here to the Philippines and I think shipping cost as much as (if not more than) the books themselves.

message 27: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Bluemoon wrote: "oh I will. It's interesting enough for me to keep going ^_^. Thanks for the support!"

Stick with it, Bluemoon! I'm sure you'll get to a part that you'll like soon enough. The Thief is actually better when you read it again.

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy (aaammmyyy) | 29 comments Chachic wrote: "Peep wrote: "Oh thanks for explaining it! I was thinking it might have been Sounis king or Eugenides but yours makes perfect sense!"

No problem! I love discussing these books. I have the paperba..."

I love the covers as well! And signed copies?! O= Where did you order them from? And it's ok- it's worth it right? I'm kind of bummed because my local Borders (all THREE of them) don't have A Conspiracy of Kings in stock... There's a Barnes & Noble somewhat closeby that does have it in stock. I'm going to have to hurry there and buy it soon :D

Oh and also, Chachic- I read on another thread somewhere that the Philippines don't have The Iron King anywhere? Try ordering it from bookdepository.com! I believe they ship free worldwide :)

message 29: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Amy, it was totally worth it! Megan says in her website that if you buy copies of the book from a bookstore near her, she's willing to drop by and sign them then the bookstore will ship the book to you. Here's the link from Megan's site: http://meganwhalenturner.org/Aboutthe... and I got my copies from Mysterious Galaxy http://www.mystgalaxy.com/

Go get it already! I'm so excited for it, I want a copy right now! Really, where'd you see that comment? I would love to order from The Book Depository but they don't deliver to the Philippines. What kind of worldwide free shipping is that? Aren't we part of the world? I already sent them an email to ask and they said they'd review it at the end of the year. Boo.

message 30: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 41 comments I am eaten up with jealousy that you have the next book already! It isn't released till April 1 here in Australia, and then there's a very large chance the bookstores won't stock it :(

message 31: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Josie wrote: "I am eaten up with jealousy that you have the next book already! It isn't released till April 1 here in Australia, and then there's a very large chance the bookstores won't stock it :("

We have the same problem! But there's Borders in Australia, right? Don't they have good stocks?

message 32: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Bluemoon wrote: "I saw the book today at the bookstore and there was only one copy left. hehehehe...I was going to get it but left it there for someone else to grab since I haven't really read the other two yet. Do..."

I'm so jealous that it's available there already and not here!

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy (aaammmyyy) | 29 comments I was looking at Amazon just now and saw that A CONSPIRACY OF KINGS has a sales rank of #228 in the entire books category- YAY. That is absurdly high and it makes me extremely happy for Megan :)

message 34: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Yay for A Conspiracy of Kings! I hope it gets here soon. We wants, we needs it, must have the precious!

message 35: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Chachic - you crack me up!

message 36: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Heidi wrote: "Chachic - you crack me up!"

Hahaha, I know right?!

message 37: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Hahaha I just really want a copy already! No, too bad I can't do Smeagol's voice.

message 38: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Just you wait, Bluemoon! It's going to get good, I promise.

message 39: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 41 comments Chachic wrote: "We have the same problem! But there's Borders in Australia, right? Don't they have good stocks?"
Yes, we have Borders, and they did stock the first three books when they came out in those nice paperbacks, but not for very long - if they do decide to sell it, they'll probably wait for the paperback. Not to worry, online bookstores are much more fun - I'm just a little pedantic about having my copies of the series match, so I don't want to buy the hardback, I just want to read it! Fingers crossed my library will think it is an EXCELLENT idea to purchase A Conspiracy of Kings (even though they've recently WEEDED OUT The Thief and The Queen of Attolia!)

message 40: by Chachic (new)

Chachic They weeded out The Thief and The Queen of Attolia?! But whyyyyy? Me too, I usually wants my books to match but since I can't wait for the paperback release of A Conspiracy of Kings, I'm going to get the hardcover right away. I hope they release hardcover editions with the same cover design so I can get those. Maybe when the entire series is finished. I wonder when that'll be, twenty years time? Haha.

message 41: by Amy (last edited Mar 24, 2010 11:02PM) (new)

Amy (aaammmyyy) | 29 comments Chachic wrote: "They weeded out The Thief and The Queen of Attolia?! But whyyyyy? Me too, I usually wants my books to match but since I can't wait for the paperback release of A Conspiracy of Kings, I'm going to g..."

Haha I know right? Megan takes so long to write each book. It's worth it but the wait is agony :( How many years do you think before we get the next book? I say 2015- five years, give or take =)

message 42: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Bluemoon, I'm glad you finished it! Told you it's awesome. Go read the next ones because those are even better.

Amy, I think around five years too. How long did it take for A Conspiracy of Kings, four years, right? But the great thing about her books is she doesn't ever finish on a cliffhanger. So you don't get frustrated. It always feels like it ended just right. Even if you know that there's a next book.

message 43: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I started it (The Thief) last night - only 50 pages in so far.

message 44: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Yay Heidi, go you! :)

message 45: by Chachic (new)

Chachic I want you guys to know that I just picked up a copy of A Conspiracy of Kings! My precious! It arrived last night and good thing I went there right away today because they only had 3 copies. My friend got there a few minutes after I did and they told her they don't have any more copies.

message 46: by ☼Bookish (new)

☼Bookish in Virginia☼  (ren_t) I liked the Book 4. Not sure I liked it as much as Books 2 & 3, but very good.

message 47: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Pam, me too. Queen of Attolia and King of Attolia are still my favorites. I really missed Gen in A Conspiracy of Kings but it's still solid MWT writing. I'm hoping that we get to see more of Gen in the next two books.

message 48: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) In the middle of Queen of Attolia now. It started out with a bang and I like it so far! Can't wait to read what happens.

message 49: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Yay, so glad you're reading it!

message 50: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Peep - is that book 2 you are reading? I want to read it, but have a few other books to read first. You are liking it though? More than book 1????

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ever (other topics)