Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general & ongoing) > Providing help for new members

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annvelwis (new)

Annvelwis | 671 comments I'm very sorry for intruding on your field here. I'm not a moderator and I don't think anyone could do a better job than you do. However, I think it's quite important...

There are few new members who recently mentioned that they need help or more information regarding challenges and how they work. IMO it's a matter that could and should be addressed. So...

I think that adding a FAQ thred in the "general" or "introduce yourself" section of the group forum would be a good idea. A place where rules and guidelines could be found seems like a helpful tool for new members.

I'm sure anyone keeping track of group discussions is aware which questions are put repetedly by members, but for the sake of itemizing I'll mention a few...

1) What is this group about? (for the sake of introduction, heh)
2) What is a reading challenge?
3) How challenges work?
4) How do I sign up for a challenge?
5) How do I keep track of my reading progress? (edit vs repost)
6) How to insert book links, cover links, author links?
7) How to insert links and photos? [I'm not sure if it's necessary, though:]
8) How to bold, strike etc.?
9) Do I need to complete all categories in the challenge?
10) Is there any reward for completing a challenge?
11) Can I expect penalties for not completing the challenge?
12) Can I use one book for other challenges?
13) Can I use one book for other categories in the challenge?
14) Are ebooks/audiobooks/novellas/short stories allowed in the challenges?
15) Are rereads allowed in the challenges?
16) Is only romance genre allowed in the challenges?
17) Do I have to post a list of books I plan to read for a challenge?
18) Can I change the list of books I plan to read after the challenge begins?
19) How to add a book on group's bookshelf?
20) What event feature is for?
21) Where can I put info about my blog/book/website/other?

I'm sure I forgot about something so if anyone have an idea what else should be on the list (in the FAQ) please contribute your insight.

Additional matters that occured to me while writing:
- there are challenges that have (or could have) contrary rules (changing the reading plan for instance) so it would be a good idea to put something like "unless otherwise stated in the challenge thred/introduction" or "challenge rules stated in the proper challenge thread take priority over any general rules description in FAQ"
- putting FAQ link under each challenge introduction could be a good idea (as well as stating any exeptions to the rules)

Another (rather small) thing: I think that would be helpful if monthly challenges B-Day category include the link to the 2010 B-Day Calendar thread (something like category 9 in 2010 April Monthly Challenge). That way it could provide some calification of "what is it about" for new members and be useful for others.

And one more suggestion (please, don't hate me!)... I think that this group far "outgrew" it's current description. For example, it only mentions/promotes monthly challenges without even mentioning that there are heaps of other challenges here. I'm not sure that listing every challenge is a solution, but maybe a general info about other challenges could be included?
And maybe (if the FAQ idea meets with approval) Direction to FAQ and/or "introduce yourself" section of the group forum could be placed in the "rules"? That way it would be more visible.

Thank you!

message 2: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Good call, I love the FAQ idea!!! Why would I/we hate you, this is so thoughtful. And most helpful.

message 3: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I've recently created this thread, Hey Newbie, Over Here to serve as an introduction to the group.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

However, it seems that we might need to do more. :)

Great suggestion, Annvelwis.

message 4: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 247 comments Great ideas Annvelwis! Yz, I think the introduction you added is great and will really help but I agree that a FAQ would be helpful. Maybe even challenge specific FAQ posted with every new monthly challenge. It can be intimidating to join in on a challenge in such a large and active group for newbie’s. I would be willing to bet that for every post we see with one of the questions Annvelwis listed there are a dozen more members wondering the same sort of thing and don't feel comfortable posting to ask (and might miss it when someone else does ask). I think if things are really spelled out it would help some of the “lurkers” out there feel comfortable to join in and it would help avoid constantly having to answer the same questions every month.

Just another thought, when a new challenge is launched it is hard to know what the FAQ's will be so maybe a spot could be "saved" right after the challenge is posted and when a question is asked it can be listed there with the answer (as well as posting the answer in the thread) so that new participants will see the questions that have already been asked right at the beginning instead of having to read the entire thread (does that make sense?). That might help avoid getting the same questions 20 times when a new challenge is started.

message 5: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Will definitely be working on a FAQ thread. Love the suggestions. Might take a bit of time to complete it, but it is definitely up in my list.

If you guys can think of other more common questions, please post it here, so I can include it.

Again, I appreciate all the input. : )

message 6: by Annvelwis (last edited Mar 22, 2010 10:23AM) (new)

Annvelwis | 671 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "I've recently created this thread, Hey Newbie, Over Here to serve as an introduction to the group.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

However, it seems that we mi..."

That thread is great, Yz. It's concise and inviting and everything a guide should be. I love it - both the idea and the execution.
If I may have an observation, though? Since it was created (09.03.2010) it was viewed 84 times. In that period of time this group gained 56(?) new members. I haven't a clue how many of them found it or felt inclined to check it out. Still, I think that the views number should be higher (I, for one, visited it twice already - and I'm not a new member here). What I'm trying to say... maybe it's not visible enough? I know there's not a lot more you can do about it above what you did already (sticking it to the top of forum). So perphaps a change of thread's title could do a trick? Something like this "GROUP GUIDE - HELP FOR NEWBIES" is a lot more visible and also provides a clue of the content of the thread.
(I know that netiquette frowns upon using upper cases and such, but I think that helping new members is more important in this instance)
FAQ I have in mind is more of... "how-to", however, than "what-is" you've created (though I admit that a few items on the list I've put together is more suited for Hey, Newbie! Over Here! thread). I think about more... practical(?) support. [uhh, my English chose this moment to be insufficient, sorry...:] Analogy: help in learning how to peel an apple, not only what an apple is and where to find it.

Kasia wrote: "Good call, I love the FAQ idea!!! Why would I/we hate you, this is so thoughtful. And most helpful."

Thanks! I know that what makes this group so wonderful is effort and time and dedication of our mods. It's a consuming task you've commited to and I very much appriciate how you're doing it.

Jennefer wrote: "Great ideas Annvelwis! Yz, I think the introduction you added is great and will really help but I agree that a FAQ would be helpful. Maybe even challenge specific FAQ posted with every new monthl..."

I still remember being a newbie here - it took me a month or so to break the lurker modus operandi, hah. And I love it here since ;D So any idea to help put quiet members at ease is IMO worth looking into :)

message 7: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Thanks for the kind words, Annvelwis.

I will go ahead and change the title for the welcome thread.

I definitely like the FAQ idea, so I'm going to pursue it.

I know how it is to be a lurker, because by nature, I'm one, too, so I definitely understand the need to make things easy and convenient so that it will encourage participation.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Great ideas.

message 9: by Hope (new)

Hope Ramsay (goodreadscomhoperamsay) | 13 comments I did check out the thread for newbies and found it very helpful. However, I have technical questions, mostly about how folks are doing all that fancy stuff with the book covers at the end of their challeng posts. ARe folks doing that with HTML editing or is there a widget someplace that I could use. I'm perfectly capable of doing the HTML but why go to that trouble if there's a simpler way to do it.

Any help on that particular score?

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments when you post to a discussion board at the top of the comment box, you will see a hyperlink that says add book/author - if you click on that, you can search by title or author and add either the title hyperlinks or the bookcover

Hope wrote: "I did check out the thread for newbies and found it very helpful. However, I have technical questions, mostly about how folks are doing all that fancy stuff with the book covers at the end of thei..."

message 11: by Mel W (new)

Mel W (melw) | 981 comments FAQ idea's a good one :)

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie (smallbookblogger) | 6 comments If we have an author/book to recommend or know an author (of the romance genre) who is interested in a book giveaway and interview, how would they/we go about it?

message 13: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11256 comments Annie,

If you know an author who would like to be a part of our Ask An Author, Win A Book Corner please have them contact either Rossy, Dee or myself with a PM (private message)- we would be happy to arrange a Q&A and giveaway if they are interested :)

message 14: by Annie (new)

Annie (smallbookblogger) | 6 comments Thank you Fran!

message 15: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11256 comments You're welcome :)